adzyu100

Arduino parts with Raspberry Pi?

Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:25 am

Hi,

I'm thinking of doing a project that will require an extra SD card slot (it's an emulator with "cartridges"), but I'm having trouble with what to do. I've found DIY card readers that plug into a breadboard, but I've also found a SD reader module for arduino, and I've been wondering if I can use that with my RPi. The reason I want to do this is because both are around the same price to make/buy, and I don't have that much experience with soldering. If you need to see it, the amazon page is: http://www.amazon.com/365buying-Reader- ... +card+slot
Last edited by adzyu100 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpdom

Re: Arduino parts with Raspberry Pi?

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:53 am

Does it have to be a built-in slot?

How about just using a standard USB-SD card adaptor? They cost £1 or less over here in many high street shops.

adzyu100

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:57 pm

rpdom wrote:Does it have to be a built-in slot?

How about just using a standard USB-SD card adaptor? They cost £1 or less over here in many high street shops.
From what I've seen, those are the ones that stick out of the computer at least an inch (or a few centimeters), and my experience with those is that if you aren't careful, they can be easy to break. I honestly just want a straight up slot.

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:08 pm

adzyu100 wrote:
rpdom wrote:Does it have to be a built-in slot?

From what I've seen, those are the ones that stick out of the computer at least an inch (or a few centimeters), and my experience with those is that if you aren't careful, they can be easy to break. I honestly just want a straight up slot.
rpdom meant one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Card-R ... B001725Y0Q
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

rpdom

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:34 pm

DougieLawson wrote:rpdom meant one of these
Yes, I did. But not such an expensive one.

adzyu100

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:46 pm

DougieLawson wrote: rpdom meant one of these
I know that, but I don't want it to be sticking out like that. All I really want to know is whether or not I can use arduino hardware for RPi, and how. I guess it kinda has to do with the aesthetics (I'm a perfectionist), and I'd rather have something that I can connect some wires to and put on top of my Pi rather than something that sticks out of the side.

rpdom

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:49 pm

So remove the USB port connector. Uncase the USB/SD unit and solder the two together with a few short wires. Then you can mount it almost flat against the underside of the Pi board, or the top if you prefer.

adzyu100

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:05 pm

rpdom wrote:So remove the USB port connector. Uncase the USB/SD unit and solder the two together with a few short wires. Then you can mount it almost flat against the underside of the Pi board, or the top if you prefer.
Ok, that seems like a good plan, i think I'll try it.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”