Tweak

cardreader on com port?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Hello, im trying to get Oscam working on a Raspberry with my old com port phoenix reader.

But it looks like its not possible to get it working? at first i orderd a RS232 Serial Port To TTL Converter Module
And a simple Gender changer (because my smartcard reader has a female connector and the converter is female to)

This is the one i have here:

http://dx.com/p/rs232-serial-port-to-tt ... tor-144192

When i connect it to my pc, and i open putty @ COM1 it seems to work.. i get a resque login shell
(i removed the serial shell so i can use the com port)

So next i connect my smartcard reader to the print with the Gender changer and Oscam doesnt see the reader, normally when i restart Oscam the led on the reader is blinking...but on the raspberry its totally doing nothing. i used the correct /dev/ttyAMA0

The only thing i can think off is that there is no "handshaking" possible.. raspberry only has rx/tx/gnd.

How can i check what the problem is? kinda shit if need to order a new reader for this (it works perfectly on my linux barebone with Oscam)

Edit: forgot to mention, when i start oscam with all connected i can see the led short flashing on the small print so it does send data to the reader, but only the red light is flashing so its not responding (no green led flashing)

Paul Moir

Re: cardreader on com port?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:40 pm

If the card reader needs hardware handshaking, you can just fake it by wiring DTR to DSR and RTS to CTS. If the card reader does not generate DSR or CTS (assuming it's a DCE, pretty safe since it works with your computer) and only listens to DTR and/or RTS, you'll have to wire DTR and RTS to something like +5v to fake it.

Looks like your interface board doesn't do hardware handshaking so hopefully those pins will all be not connected to anything on it. Lack of documentation is a bit of a problem here so you'll have to look at the PCB and check the traces. If DTR and RTS are hard-wired to the power supply already, 3v might not be enough to convince the card reader that DTR and RTS are applied (you could put a volt-meter on DTR and RTS and check I suppose).

Tweak

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi Paul, thnx for your response.

I kinda already found out this is the problem (the handshaking)

I took a com port cable and cut all the wires (but not the TX/RX/GND)
i connected the cable to my pc and the raspberry converter thingy and console works..

So i disconnected the cable on my barebone, replaced the cable and restarted Oscam
and nothing.. so it doesnt work with only 3 wires.

I already spent so much time in it.. im not going to try if i can fix it with some soldering etc.

Im going to try a USB to Serial cable and hope that works.. if not, im just going to buy a USB smartcard reader.
It seems the USB to Serial cables have "handshaking" build in? so should work (looking for the cheapest sollution)

Thnx again for your reply

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:06 pm

you probably only need to tie some handshake lines permanently "active".

Tweak

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi mahjongg, sounds very easy.. but i think its not? :P maybe u can explain it a little more?

Oh and the smart card reader.. its like this one:

But that is a Mastera 2 ? mine is older i think (Mastera 1?)

klricks

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:40 am

See the loopback hanshaking setup here:
http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS- ... .html#loop

Be sure the power pin on the serial converter board is connected to 3V3 (NOT 5V).
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Tweak

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:58 pm

Thnx, but topic can be closed. I got a small usb reader now :) (was able to get it very cheap)

sergiosch

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Tweak wrote:Thnx, but topic can be closed. I got a small usb reader now :) (was able to get it very cheap)
Hi mate, could you tell what reader did you buy and how to get it that cheap?

Thanks

Tweak

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi,

I got this one:

Name: Smargo Smartreader ?

But i forgot the price.. and i think its not a "original" one.. but it works fine for me!

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”