Jednorozec

Setup guide

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:11 pm

I had a hell of a time getting everything working on my GertDuino. The information that you need is scattered all over the place. I put together a setup guide at http://www.friendsoftheunicorn.net/cont ... uino-setup that I hope people will find useful.

Edit: Slight change to url
Last edited by Jednorozec on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beron

Re: Setup guide

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Very nice guide indeed! Everything in one place and in the right order!

Beron

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:04 pm

One thing I am struggling with after all this is done though, is getting the PI and the Gertduino to talk to eachother via the serial port.

I've got the bit about editing the /boot/cmdline.txt and the /etc/inittab to disable the serialport
And I got the jumper wires (not included with the Gertduino) set that cross-connects the RX and TX pins.

But I keep getting garbled text coming out on the /dev/ttyAMA0 and I can't seem to get anything to go through the other way.
So I figure I'm doing something wrong with things like baudrate, parity and stuff.

Anyone got an easy step by step setup for this?

/Beron

Jednorozec

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Beron wrote:Very nice guide indeed! Everything in one place and in the right order!
Thanks for the kind words. It took a fair amount of time to put that together but probably not as much time as it took for the initial setup.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

AndyD

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Great effort Jednorozec! This would be very useful to anyone starting off on the GertDuino.

AndyD

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Beron wrote:One thing I am struggling with after all this is done though, is getting the PI and the Gertduino to talk to each other via the serial port.

I've got the bit about editing the /boot/cmdline.txt and the /etc/inittab to disable the serialport
And I got the jumper wires (not included with the Gertduino) set that cross-connects the RX and TX pins.

But I keep getting garbled text coming out on the /dev/ttyAMA0 and I can't seem to get anything to go through the other way.
So I figure I'm doing something wrong with things like baudrate, parity and stuff.

/Beron
Hi Beron, I also struggled with serial communications between the GertDuino and the Raspberry Pi :oops:. Gordon's suggestion of using an incremental approach is a very good one. On the GertDuino side run a very simple program (I just printed 'abcd' every second to the serial line). On the Raspberry Pi side use something simple (I used a program called minicom, it is available from the Raspbian repository). Keep parity at 8N1. Any baud up to and including 115200 should be fine, just make sure you are using the same baud on both the Raspberry Pi and the GertDuino.

The problem I had was to do with the AtMega328 clock frequency. The timing of the code on the AtMega needs to know the clock frequency. If this is wrong for any reason your serial communications wont work. In my case, I had chosen the wrong board in the Arduino IDE. You will also have problems if you haven't 'set the fuses' so that the AtMega328 is running at 16MHz. This is done using the avrsetup script.

Hope that helps!

Gert van Loo

Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:39 am

I put together a setup guide
Your are not the first to complain.
I put a lot of effort in the manual but obvious not enough or of the wrong kind.
Your criticism is appreciated. (No, this is not sarcasm, it really is).
If there are others who think they can contribute please says/do so.

Next question is: is there any copyright? If not I would like to take all the contributions
and see what I can do to the manual over Christmas.
Of course you will all be mentioned...

-- Gert

Jednorozec

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:20 am

Gert van Loo wrote:
I put together a setup guide
Your are not the first to complain.
I put a lot of effort in the manual but obvious not enough or of the wrong kind.
Your criticism is appreciated. (No, this is not sarcasm, it really is).
If there are others who think they can contribute please says/do so.

Next question is: is there any copyright? If not I would like to take all the contributions
and see what I can do to the manual over Christmas.
Of course you will all be mentioned...

-- Gert
There's a lot of good information in the manual but it's not possible to get the GertDuino running properly using only the manual. My first problem was that the Pi wouldn't boot and the solution for that is all the way down on page 16. How many people do you know that want to RTFM when they get a new piece of software or hardware? Then the information on page 17 is out of date since Gordon has a newer version of avrdude and unless you use that, the ATmega328 is running a 1 MHz clock. I didn't add anything new in my setup guide. I just pulled together all of the information that I found in the manual, in this forum and on Gordons ATmega Setup page.

By the way, what happened to the schematic in Appendix A?

I also have a GertBoard. Soldering all of those surface mount resistors and capacitors was quite an experience.

Thanks for all of your efforts.

SpiderNZ

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:12 am

How many people do you know that want to RTFM when they get a new piece of software or hardware?

Guilty as charged! It's a habit and old habits die hard! :lol:

Beron

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi AndyD, thanks for the ideas!

I'm doing exactly as you suggested, I have a simple program that writes abcdef to the serial port once a second.
I am watching the output of whatever comes over the serial port. (Have tried both minicom and simple tail -f /dev/ttyAMA0 )
and I get nothing.

I have tried different baudrates, set them with stty
I have "burnt the fuse" on my ATmega to 16MHz, I am using the right board in the Arduino IDE (Gertduino, not Gertboard)

It's completely silent on the serial port. But I supsect something is more seriously wrong, even a simple python program such as the one below gives me nothing on the serial output.

Code: Select all

import serial
serialPort = serial.Serial("/dev/ttyAMA0", 9600, timeout=3.0, rtscts=True, dsrdt
r=False, xonxoff=True,bytesize=serial.EIGHTBITS,parity=serial.PARITY_NONE)
while True:
    serialPort.write("Hello world!\n")
    serialPort.flush()

AndyD wrote:
Beron wrote:One thing I am struggling with after all this is done though, is getting the PI and the Gertduino to talk to each other via the serial port.

/Beron
Hi Beron, I also struggled with serial communications between the GertDuino and the Raspberry Pi :oops:. Gordon's suggestion of using an incremental approach is a very good one. On the GertDuino side run a very simple program (I just printed 'abcd' every second to the serial line). On the Raspberry Pi side use something simple (I used a program called minicom, it is available from the Raspbian repository). Keep parity at 8N1. Any baud up to and including 115200 should be fine, just make sure you are using the same baud on both the Raspberry Pi and the GertDuino.

The problem I had was to do with the AtMega328 clock frequency. The timing of the code on the AtMega needs to know the clock frequency. If this is wrong for any reason your serial communications wont work. In my case, I had chosen the wrong board in the Arduino IDE. You will also have problems if you haven't 'set the fuses' so that the AtMega328 is running at 16MHz. This is done using the avrsetup script.

Hope that helps!

AndyD

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:51 am

Beron wrote:Hi AndyD, thanks for the ideas!
Hi Beron, I would suggest (as Gordon suggested) that you need to break the problem down.

1) Try getting a serial connection working without the GertDuino attached by bridging the Tx/Rx pins on the GPIO with a female-female jumper cable. Then try using minicom on /dev/ttyAMA0. You should see the characters you type in echoed in minicom.

2) Next try putting the GertDuino back on the Raspberry Pi. Put two jumpers on J13 on the GertDuino to allow the Raspberry Pi to access the RS232 buffers. (see the first diagram 'Pi to RS232 buffers' in section 2.1 Atmega-328 & Pi UART of the GertDuino Manual). Again use a female-female jumper cable to bridge pins 2 and 3 of J12 on the GertDuino (See sections 2 'RS232/UART' of the GertDuino manual). Again try using minicom on /dev/ttyAMA0. You should see the characters you type in echoed in minicom.

3) If 1 and 2 work, then use two female-female jumpers to allow the Raspberry Pi and Atmega-328 to communicate using the RS232 buffers (Section 2.1 of the GertDuino manual) and try your simple serial write program on the Atmega-328 again.

fiverivers

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:55 pm

HI there guys! I'm in need of help!

So I have followed the guide word for word and when I get to the last stage where you call the blink.hex script I get the following error:

pi@raspberrypi ~/gertduino/avrdude $ ./avrsetup 

Initialising a new ATmega microcontroller for use with the Gertboard
or the Gertduino Raspberry Pi Interface boards.

Make sure there is a new ATmega chip plugged in, and press
.. 1 for an ATmega328p,
.. 2 for an ATmega168,
.. 3 for the Gertduino ATmega48p at 8MHz,
.. 4 for the Gertduino ATmega48p at 1MHz,
.....Select 1-4: 3
Initialising the Piduino ATmega48p  at 8MHz ...
Looks all OK - Happy ATmega programming!
pi@raspberrypi ~/gertduino/avrdude $ cd /home/pi
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cd Gertduino
pi@raspberrypi ~/Gertduino $ cd blink/
pi@raspberrypi ~/Gertduino/blink $ chmod +x program_328
pi@raspberrypi ~/Gertduino/blink $ ./program_328 blink.hex

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

[b]avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e920a
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
         Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.[/b]

avrdude done.  Thank you.

pi@raspberrypi ~/Gertduino/blink $ 

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance! BTW I have also tried Gordons guide too, It resulted in the same error.

My jumpers are connected as shown in page 7 of the Gertduino manual:

0000XXXX
00XXXX

x = jumper

panik

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:18 pm

You have succesfully setup the ATmega48 on the Gertduino (with the jumpers as shown on page 7, "4.2 Program the Atmega-48").

If you want to program blink.hex to the ATmega328, you'll have to place the jumpers as shown on page 6 ("3.2 Program the Atmega-328").

First, run "./avrsetup" again, just as you did for the ATmega48, but choose option 1 this time (ATmega328p). You'll never have to run ./avrsetup again after this point (only if you replace the chips for new ones). If you've followed the guide step by step as you say, you can probably skip this because you have done this already.

Now that both chips have the correct settings, you can run "./program_328 blink.hex" again. That'll probably work. The jumpers were in a state where you were still trying to program the ATmega48. Hence the "signature error".

fiverivers

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Hi again, I have another question!

Thanks to Panik for helping me with my previous problem.

So I have initialized the 328 and 48 and used the blink program successfully. I now want to use the Arduino IDE to make an LED blink and in the future I want to move some motors.
So what I have done is attached an LED to a resistor and then put the LED into port?13 and the resistor side into the GND. I go into the Arduino IDE and choose example programs > digital > blink. I have already set the programmer to 'Raspberry PI GPIO' and I have selected the right board. When I choose upload using programmer I am presented with the following error:
avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
I have tried doing it with and without the jumpers. From a bit of googling it seems the problem is the serial connection? Is this right? Does anyone know how to fix this?

AndyD

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:52 pm

Hi fiverivers,
Assuming that you have followed Jednorozec's setup guide you should be nearly there. When you program the GertDuino the binary is transferred to the AtMega chip using the Raspberry Pi's GPIO rather than using the serial interface. You will need to do the following:-
  • Set the jumpers on J13 as described in the GertDuino User manual (3.2 Program the Atmega-328).
  • In the Arduino IDE choose the GertDuino Board. Under Tools->Board-> select "Gertuino with ATmega328 (GPIO)".
  • Also choose the correct programmer. Under Tools->Programmer-> select "Raspberry Pi GPIO".
  • When you upload the sketch to the GertDuino do not use the upload arrow in the IDE, use File->Upload Using Programmer.

fiverivers

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:19 pm

AndyD wrote:Hi fiverivers,
Assuming that you have followed Jednorozec's setup guide you should be nearly there. When you program the GertDuino the binary is transferred to the AtMega chip using the Raspberry Pi's GPIO rather than using the serial interface. You will need to do the following:-
  • Set the jumpers on J13 as described in the GertDuino User manual (3.2 Program the Atmega-328).
  • In the Arduino IDE choose the GertDuino Board. Under Tools->Board-> select "Gertuino with ATmega328 (GPIO)".
  • Also choose the correct programmer. Under Tools->Programmer-> select "Raspberry Pi GPIO".
  • When you upload the sketch to the GertDuino do not use the upload arrow in the IDE, use File->Upload Using Programmer.
Hi there,

I have connected the jumpers as shown on page 6. I have setup the Arduino IDE as you have said and I chose the blink example program. It seems to have worked, the onboard LED (D6?) is now blinking. However, I want to program an LED that I plug in instead of programming the onboard LED's. How do I do this? The blink example program makes use of port 13 so I thought I simply had to plug in the LED into port 13 and it should work? right? When I put in the LED however I get the previously mentioned error: avr device not responding.

Thanks!

Gert van Loo

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:10 pm

I thought I simply had to plug in the LED into port 13
Port 13 is also carrying the serial clock which is used for programming.
If you "JUST" put an LED in there you likely have shorted that pin to VCC or ground and
programming will no longer work.
You should be careful with ports 11,12 & 13 as they are all used for programming.
Safer is to start with an LED in ports 0-7. But then again: you can not JUST put an LED in there.
You MUST USE a series resistor or you risk blowing up an I/O port!

ingie

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:10 pm

Port 13 is also carrying the serial clock which is used for programming.
If you "JUST" put an LED in there you likely have shorted that pin to VCC or ground and
programming will no longer work
ahhhh... (slaps own head) of course!

it took me a while to find this by trial and error, the error being "how come i can't program it with this LED in?" :)

could there be any chance of a tiny "pgm/run" switch near the port 13 shield header on the next rev?
e.g. like the one on this sparkfun midi board for the rs232

- as i have several shields to which p13 is hard wired thru to an led on the shield, thus, i cannot program the 328 whilst the shield is in place, and i'm not too keen on pushing a shield onto a running gertduino in case there's a temporary short or suchlike.

p.s. i love the board. like others above, it took me a while to put the manual in the right mental order ;) [and with gordon's site's guides helping with a lot of that] but once working, it's been fun...

i've been using https://github.com/thearn/Python-Arduino-Command-API for the moment, which has worked mostly (i've fed back to that projects owner re: ttyAMA* being required in his base python library class where he globs for a port)

i've been using python liblo with an OSC (open sound control) generating app on my phone to allow me to wobble servos by wobbling my phone so far... 8-)

i still haven't managed to get the realtime clock running though... but i haven't had enough time to explore why :)

jsmith7342

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:01 am

Hi, I am new to Raspberry Pi and have recently purchased a GertDuino.
First tests worked well and I managed to display text on a Freetronics DMD: http://www.freetronics.com/collections/ ... tC_nJ6SxnQ

However after compiling a second program in Arduino IDE, taking the .hex file from temp, moving it to the raspberry pi and using program_328 to run it, avrdude comes up with an error:

avrdude: avr device not responding
avrdude: initialisation failed, rc=-1
After trying -v -v -v -v: it comes up with:

avrdude: Version 5.10, compiled on Jun 18 2012 at 12:38:29
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/home/pi/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : unknown
         Using Programmer              : gpio
         AVR Part                      : ATMEGA328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65     5     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : GPIO
         Description     : Use sysfs interface to bitbang GPIO lines

avrdude: Calibrating delay loop... calibrated to 21 cycles per us
bitbang_cmd(): [ AC 53 00 00 ] [ 00 00 00 00 ]
avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

It would be great if someone could help since I've been looking to forward to creating many projects with the Gertduino.

Regards,
jsmith

racpi

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:44 am

had the same problems see my post in this section about bricking 328's

tonygo2

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:15 pm

I've got my Gerduino working! (Eventually) I program it via the Arduino IDE and switches, LEDs and analog In and Out are working as expected. The only problem left is Serial output from the Gertduino to a terminal on the Pi.

I'm using trying to use minicom ama0 (9600 8N1) but I get the message
Serial port 'COM1' not found. in the error window.

I've read the comments above but has anyone managed to get this to work?
If so please explain how.

Tony

Jednorozec

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:02 pm

tonygo2 wrote:The only problem left is Serial output from the Gertduino to a terminal on the Pi.
Take a look at http://friendsoftheunicorn.net/content/ ... ino-serial

cutterjohn

Fri May 02, 2014 11:46 pm

...hate to be a bummer, but the Newark/element14 link to the user manual is either a corrupt pdf or an empty one... FYI

[EDIT]
Now, I'm finding that the gertboard schematics(assembled) are also producing similar results, and this is, so far, under two different OSes(win7 x64 pro & OS X 10.9.2 both through firefox)... I suppose that I ought to attempt chrome next ...
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
yep... chrome (34.<whatever the minor nums are> just goes to a screen with a "loading..." gfx and nothing happens -> chrome reports no errors, and yet does nothing, and, so, it's really the same story as with ff...

PLEASE FIX ME
[/EDIT2]

Gert van Loo

Sat May 03, 2014 10:17 am

Thank you for reporting this.
I will send them an emails asking what has happened.
I tried to add a copy of the manual here but the Raspberry-Pi website says I am not allowed to upload
something with extension .pdf

panik

Sat May 03, 2014 6:35 pm

^ While you're at it; the last time I downloaded version 5.6 of the Gertduino manual, the schematics where missing. Version 5.4 did have them (I missed version 5.5).

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”