neroes

network speeds above 100 mbit

Sat May 18, 2013 3:19 pm

hi i'm trying to make my pi able to play my blu-rays in xbian
but the network connection doesn't seem to allow it, read that the 100 mbit cap is because usb ports are caped to 480 mbit
so i'm wondering if i connect an usb adapter such as this one
http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBAC53/#overview
would i be able to go above the pi's normal network speeds?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: network speeds above 100 mbit

Sat May 18, 2013 3:26 pm

no, as it will still go over the very same USB connection.

neroes

Sat May 18, 2013 3:37 pm

mahjongg wrote:no, as it will still go over the very same USB connection.
but would i be able to surpass the normal 100 mbit limit?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Maybe, the real world transfer rates of a 100Mb ethernet port are far below 100Mb, (=12.5 Megabytes per second) just as the real transfer rate for a single channel using USB2 is far less than 480 Mbps, as the USB driver splits up the total capacity (actual maximum transfer speed for a single USB2 channel is 35 MByte per second = 280 Mbps according to Wikipedia).
It's hard to predict what will happen.
one way to check if the USB port may support the datarate you need is to use another transport medium than ethernet, such as none at all (except USB2). What if you place such a file as you need to play on a fast USB memory?

neroes

Sat May 18, 2013 3:45 pm

my question is more of is it likely send more data though than the standart network card

stevepork

Sat May 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi,

I have had the same theory but have never needed to test it. The ethernet does go through the USB controller so effectively all the ethernet post is is a USB to ethernet adapter.

I would personally say that it would be faster but I have no idea if it is worth doing! As it is bypassing the 100mbps limit of the ethernet but then it will hit the USB's limit which will be much lower than advertised.

Maybe transferring a large file to a USB thumb drive and transfer the files over the network and see if their is any improvement in speed between ethernet and the ASUS WiFi Adapter. But I will say I think that this adapter is way OTT.

Hope this helps,

neroes

Sat May 18, 2013 10:46 pm

i just bought
http://www.asus.com/Networking/USBN53/
which i would be needing anyways for something else
(i'm guessing the linux driver will work on a pi)
but it should show me if there is a speed increase, so when i get it i will tell you if it makes a difference

btw. can someone tell me how to install such a device on a pi?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat May 18, 2013 11:34 pm

100Mbit/s is plenty for blu-ray video. Try measuring what you are getting with iperf. You should get over 90Mbit/s. Blu-ray will be about 40Mbit/s.

It's more likely the bottleneck is the protocol you are using. NFS is much better than SMB for example.
NFS mounted with somthing like

Code: Select all

sudo mount 192.168.4.9:/Public -o _netdev,nfsvers=3,rw,intr,noatime,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,nolock,async,proto=udp /home/pi/dell
will be better than the default nfs support built in to xbmc.

I can confidently predict you will get *much* worse performance with a wireless dongle (even if it is 802.11n with a higher theoretical limit) than 100Mbit/s ethernet.

stevepork

Sun May 19, 2013 12:02 pm

I agree. I think that it wont make a noticeable difference but it certainly will. I think the gigabit ethernet to USB would have been a better choice, granted you wouldn't get half of the gigabit speed because of the USB controller but it would be faster than 100mbps.

With the adapter you have bought, to get a noticeable difference you will need to use 5GHz as I have a RT-N66U and I find that 2.4GHz isn't anything special (except the range!) but 5GHz is very fast compared to other routers at range! I think that is because of the Beam Forming and it certainly makes a difference.

I do have a question! How much was the adapter and where did you buy it? I may purchase this for a desktop to see if that makes a difference because I am stuck to 100mbps ethernet!

As always I hope this helps,

dom

Sun May 19, 2013 12:20 pm

stevepork wrote:I do have a question! How much was the adapter and where did you buy it? I may purchase this for a desktop to see if that makes a difference because I am stuck to 100mbps ethernet!
I really wouldn't recommend replacing 100Mbit/s wired ethernet with wireless on any platform. It won't be faster.
The latency is much worse on wireless, even if the bandwidth is decent, so interactive things are slower.
And even if the bandwidth is okay today, it may not be tomorrow when your neighbour switches on their router.

neroes

Tue May 21, 2013 9:28 am

dom wrote:
stevepork wrote:I do have a question! How much was the adapter and where did you buy it? I may purchase this for a desktop to see if that makes a difference because I am stuck to 100mbps ethernet!
I really wouldn't recommend replacing 100Mbit/s wired ethernet with wireless on any platform. It won't be faster.
The latency is much worse on wireless, even if the bandwidth is decent, so interactive things are slower.
And even if the bandwidth is okay today, it may not be tomorrow when your neighbour switches on their router.
there is only one access point besides mine that is within range and it's so far away that i can't see it if my own i online, so i don't have much of an interference problem, the latency part doesn't really matter, i only use it for playing dvd and blu-rays in xbian

neroes

Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 am

dom wrote:100Mbit/s is plenty for blu-ray video. Try measuring what you are getting with iperf. You should get over 90Mbit/s. Blu-ray will be about 40Mbit/s.

It's more likely the bottleneck is the protocol you are using. NFS is much better than SMB for example.
NFS mounted with somthing like

Code: Select all

sudo mount 192.168.4.9:/Public -o _netdev,nfsvers=3,rw,intr,noatime,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,nolock,async,proto=udp /home/pi/dell
will be better than the default nfs support built in to xbmc.

I can confidently predict you will get *much* worse performance with a wireless dongle (even if it is 802.11n with a higher theoretical limit) than 100Mbit/s ethernet.
i'm already using NFS but it can't seem to keep up, it doesn't run as smooth as it is supposed to
i have had 450 on 802.11n further away than the pi is and up to 1200 mbit if i'm using 802.11ac
so i think that the network connection should be high enought

timgiles

Tue May 21, 2013 9:56 am

First - the speed of network connections is mega bits - not bytes. So a 100MBit wired connection, given a powerful enough processor and reasonable protocol - NFS or FTP - should give up to 8-12 MB per second (megabytes). I manage around 9-10 every day with my pi.

Gigabit wired - fantastic. Works a treat even with cheap switches, cheap cables. Again you need a cpu and networking chip that can push the 1s and 0s fast enough, but it is veyr easy to get 80-100 MB (bytes) per second.

Wireless. Its all lies. Your old 54Mb G standard dongle, never gives you 54Mb (bit) of throughput. The N adapters that promise 150, 300, 450 Mbit performance, gives you slightly more than the 54Mb (bit) adapters, but not 8 times (ie. 450 Mbit dongle). With a well configured 450Mbit Wireless N router (Asus N66) and a 3x3 wireless card (Intel 6300 or Killer 2200) - you can get maybe, 40-50MB per second. Maybe. If you are running 40Mhz channel width on the 5GHz channel and shut down every bit of interference within a mile of your house!

AC - is even worse. Now they promise you better than (wired) gigabit speed. No chance. The most I have seen in expert reviews, in perfect conditions is around 70-80MB per second (out of the promised 1800Mb bandwidth which should give you 170-190MB per second). So every time we move on up and they come out with a new wireless standard, the % of that connection that you can actually benefit from is dropping.

Why? Interference. Lack of 'full' antenna multi transmit / receive components. Interference will never go away and is getting worse. The second point relates to the fact that most AC equipment being sold comes in 1x1, 2x2, 1x3 type of setups. So they come with only 1-3 antennas and can receive / transmit on only 1 to 3 at the same time. The AC standard is built to handle up to 8x8 - 8 seperate antennas being used concurrently. No one is manufacturing these.

So how much better is a more expensive AC 2x2 router boasting of almost gigabit speeds, to a less expensive N 3x3 router (like the Asus N66)? Its worse. It is slower in both sending and receiving data, even though each anternna is transmitting a bit more data, there is only 2. 3 antennas beats 2 in range and signal strength - so less error correction or resending is required.

Stick with wired. 100Mb connection on the Pi can be fully utilised and is more than enough for most requirements. Wireless has in built latency and it very poor performance compared to wired.

stevepork

Thu May 23, 2013 9:29 pm

dom wrote:
Yeah... this isn't an issue for me! I have high ping times (ADSL 26-32ms) and no interference. Yes there is on 2.4Ghz but no WiFi hotspots. All the interference comes from within my house. I live in an 1700s semi-detached house, not even my neighbours WiFi is picked up through the connecting wall..... It is just too thick! I have even had an interference scanner lent to me to find the best channels for my WiFi and it is mostly channel 9 and 5 with any if any interference! It has always been a problem to distribute WiFi throughout my house and the RT-N66U is the first router to do so!

Thanks,

bluc

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:33 am

How did you get on I agree that ac is the way to go I get 35MB to my android tablet sustained write of a large file. Unfortunately I cant get ac mode to work on my pi 2 running openelec and a tp link archer 1200 wifi dongle.

ghans

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:20 am

You can use USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adaptors with
the Pi without problems. Whether it's worth it (esp. from
a price/performace improvement ratio perspective)
is a good topic for new thread :lol:

http://www.midwesternmac.com/blogs/jeff ... networking

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

mikronauts

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:03 pm

On an RPi2, I have gotten 176Mbps reads, 149Mbps writes with iperf using a Linksys USB3 Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

Using an ext4fs external hard drive, this translated to about 50% higher SMB transfer rates than the on-board 100Mbit nic.

See http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/ ... ent-howto/
neroes wrote:hi i'm trying to make my pi able to play my blu-rays in xbian
but the network connection doesn't seem to allow it, read that the 100 mbit cap is because usb ports are caped to 480 mbit
so i'm wondering if i connect an usb adapter such as this one
http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBAC53/#overview
would i be able to go above the pi's normal network speeds?
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

scidata

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:12 pm

A general purpose network traffic compressor might be a good project for a Pi. If it was an almost plug-n-play black box it would be very popular.
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is" - Isaac Asimov

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”