alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

CPLD board for Raspberry Pi

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:47 pm

I reviewed a CPLD board for the raspberry pi this week. It's called a Guzunty Pi and has kind of crept along 'under the radar' for a couple of months now.

You might care to take a look at the review. It's an open source Complex Programmable Logic Device based on the Xilinx 9500. It's very flexible, small and inexpensive - fits in very well with the Pi ecosystem...

http://raspi.tv/2013/guzunty-pi-open-so ... spberry-pi
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

johnbeetem

Re: CPLD board for Raspberry Pi

Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Nice review! Thanks for the link. I had read about the Guzunty Pi a while back, and I really like the XC9572XL. I've used it in a number of real products -- it has a very nice balance of resources. Ah, if only Xilinx would release the bit format so we could have FLOSS tools...

Speaking of tools, I recommend using Xilinx Webpack 5.2 (2003) for the 9500XL series. Very reliable and fast, with less complexity than more recent versions.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:40 pm

johnbeetem wrote:Nice review! Thanks for the link. I had read about the Guzunty Pi a while back, and I really like the XC9572XL. I've used it in a number of real products -- it has a very nice balance of resources. Ah, if only Xilinx would release the bit format so we could have FLOSS tools...

Speaking of tools, I recommend using Xilinx Webpack 5.2 (2003) for the 9500XL series. Very reliable and fast, with less complexity than more recent versions.
Thanks John. I haven't got that far yet, but I do hope one day to delve into the dark art of creating cores. :lol:

meltwater

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Was a great review, and good value board for experimenting with.

I've not used CPLD before, so I'm not too sure about what I can do with it. Will be great if there are some entry level tutorials on using it (say covering programming and using some pre-defined cores, and perhaps even how to build a core for a specific purpose).

Cheers.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:23 pm

meltwater wrote:Was a great review, and good value board for experimenting with.

I've not used CPLD before, so I'm not too sure about what I can do with it. Will be great if there are some entry level tutorials on using it (say covering programming and using some pre-defined cores, and perhaps even how to build a core for a specific purpose).

Cheers.
That's a good idea, but the core-building part is a bit beyond my level at the moment. Perhaps one of the more experienced CPLD users would be able to do that?

I have a follow-up due when I've got a bit further with my secret project. ;) I've been waylayed by other stuff at the moment. :lol:

meltwater

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:03 am

alexeames wrote:
meltwater wrote:Was a great review, and good value board for experimenting with.

Cheers.
That's a good idea, but the core-building part is a bit beyond my level at the moment. Perhaps one of the more experienced CPLD users would be able to do that?

I have a follow-up due when I've got a bit further with my secret project. ;) I've been waylayed by other stuff at the moment. :lol:
Looks like mine has just been shipped, so good to know that they are on their way.

Know the feeling about other stuff, dang the Raspberry for being good for so many things! Although, safe to say, have learnt so much new stuff over the last year.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

guzunty

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:50 am

Hi all,

I was thinking of running a competition to see who can come up with new ideas for standard downloadable cores. The winners would see their core designed by me and put up on GitHub with an acknowledgement and they also would get a fully built and tested Guzunty. What do you think?

The interest in Guzunty has been fantastic. Thank you to all those people who have bought a board or kit. I had to increase the number of PCB's I was ordering and that meant some increased lead time. The increased PCB supply is beginning to feed through now. Folks thinking of getting a Guzunty programmable IO expander may therefore be interested to know that I have lots more kits and PCBs available from the end of this week.

https://github.com/Guzunty/Pi/wiki

Click Pages > Buy A Guzunty to get to some PayPal links.

best to all and thanks again for all the support,

Derek
Guzunty: A fully programmable peripheral you build yourself! https://github.com/Guzunty/Pi/wiki

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”