gstreeter

Farnell assembled Gertboard

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Ordered this on Wednesday as soon as I saw they were available and arrived on Friday. Now that's customer service! Fell foul of a few gotcha but up and running now. For any newbies with a board here are my RTFM mistakes:

1) Didn't initially put the jumper for the 3.3v power in place. D'oh. Things light up but oh the confusion.

2) Using a rev 2 RPi and wondered why the 5th led would not light in the LEDs test program. Had to change code to switch from GPIO 21 to 27 for this version of the Pi.

3) Could not get the motor driver to work. Eventually read the data sheet for the chip and realised it needs at least 6v power supply and automatically shuts down the motor outputs if the supply is below 5.5v. Explains why my 5v Psu testing went nowhere.

Great fun. Very pleased with the item. Thanks go to Gert for the design and Farnell for the supply.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Farnell assembled Gertboard

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:54 pm

With the self-assembly kit it used to be the "floating led flicker", but I think the new "gotcha" is going to be the jumper placement, for those who are so eager to get on that they gloss over the intro section. :lol:
2) Using a rev 2 RPi and wondered why the 5th led would not light in the LEDs test program. Had to change code to switch from GPIO 21 to 27 for this version of the Pi.
Is that not fixed in the C version? I thought it was.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

gstreeter

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:58 pm

I downloaded the C software for the Gertboard using the link in the sticky at the top of this forum and used this version (gertboard_sw_20120725.zip) which still uses GPIO 21 instead of 27. If I had read the rest of the sticky rather than rushing in I would have been aware of the change though!

Fools rush in....

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:25 pm

I haven't tried the latest C versions as I've been busy on the Python ones. Just squashed an SPI bug though SPLAT! :lol:

leol

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:56 am

another gotcha:
Don't put the foot in the bottom right corner or the board will not fit onto the Pi

Leo

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:43 am

leol wrote:another gotcha:
Don't put the foot in the bottom right corner or the board will not fit onto the Pi

Leo
I misread that first time and thought you'd been treading on your Gertboard. (I'm sure that wasn't in the manual :lol: ).

I expect they're easily removed with a squeeze from a pair of pliers at the top end are they?

ianajo

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:59 pm

RE J24 2pin HEADER ON ASSEMBLED GERTBOARD

The rev2 user manual for the assembled board says "A 5V power supply comes onto the board from the Raspberry Pi, and if you need this voltage it can be accessed from the lower pin (marked 5V)".

The 5v is also present on the other pin (higher) of J24 the pins are connected (short circuited) by the pcb track.

If this connection had not been there J24 could be used with a jumper to connect/remove 5v the supply from the pi to the gertboard 3.3v regulator.
It would also give the option to power the gertboard from another 5v supply and not from or through the Pi 5v.
As J24 is a 2pin header would this not be better?

The 3.3v J7 header has a jumper option to connect/disconnect to the board components.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:27 pm

ianajo wrote:RE J24 2pin HEADER ON ASSEMBLED GERTBOARD

The rev2 user manual for the assembled board says "A 5V power supply comes onto the board from the Raspberry Pi, and if you need this voltage it can be accessed from the lower pin (marked 5V)".

The 5v is also present on the other pin (higher) of J24 the pins are connected (short circuited) by the pcb track.
I expect it's "the case of the missing s". Bet it was meant to say pins, not pin.

ianajo

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:40 pm

I expect it's "the case of the missing s". Bet it was meant to say pins, not pin.
[/quote]

There's only 1 lower PIN on a 2 PIN header

Maybe a bit of track that should "missing" ?????

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:34 pm

ianajo wrote:
There's only 1 lower PIN on a 2 PIN header
Not if you rotate it 90 degrees. :lol: You're right though.

Gert van Loo

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:41 pm

No, the text is wrong.
Originally there was a GND and a 5V pin. But I did not liked putting 1-2A through only one pin.
So I doubled them up but did not correct the text.
Sorry.

ianajo

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Gert van Loo wrote:No, the text is wrong.
Originally there was a GND and a 5V pin. But I did not liked putting 1-2A through only one pin.
So I doubled them up but did not correct the text.
Sorry.
OK. but does the 5v feed track run thro both J24 pins (bottom to top direction) to the regulator, so if the track was cut between the pins a jumper could be used to connect/disconnect the Pi 5v feed.?

Gert van Loo

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:37 pm

ianajo wrote:....

OK. but does the 5v feed track run thro both J24 pins (bottom to top direction) to the regulator, so if the track was cut between the pins a jumper could be used to connect/disconnect the Pi 5v feed.?
No, you can't cut the track. The 5V is connected to a plane going everywhere. The 5V jumper is in also used in case you mount the switch-mode-supply parts and then you can place one or two jumpers connecting the SMPS output to the board.

ianajo

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Gert van Loo wrote: No, you can't cut the track. The 5V is connected to a plane going everywhere. The 5V jumper is in also used in case you mount the switch-mode-supply parts and then you can place one or two jumpers connecting the SMPS output to the board.
OK thanks for that info. I was unable too find a drawing/diagram of the pcb track layout. I wonder is there such a thing available anywhere.

Gert van Loo

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:49 pm

...I was unable too find a drawing/diagram of the pcb track layout. I wonder is there such a thing available anywhere.
Uhhh.......
It is a two layer board. You don't need a track layout as you have it in front of you when you look at the PCB.

ianajo

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Gert van Loo wrote:
...I was unable too find a drawing/diagram of the pcb track layout. I wonder is there such a thing available anywhere.
Uhhh.......
It is a two layer board. You don't need a track layout as you have it in front of you when you look at the PCB.
OK Thanks, so, not available.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:09 pm

ianajo wrote:
Gert van Loo wrote:
Uhhh.......
OK Thanks, so, not available.
Apart from, you know, it being right in front of you, on the PCB. Do you perhaps mean schematic?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

ianajo

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 pm

example.jpg
example.jpg (12.96 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
jamesh wrote:
Apart from, you know, it being right in front of you, on the PCB. Do you perhaps mean schematic?
I have the wiring schematics.

I mean a picture/pattern/map (simple example above) call it what you like, of the board copper track layout.

And perhaps my eyes are not as young and working as well as some.

Thanks anyway

jardino

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:40 am

Difference between kit and assembled board?

As far as I can tell from photographs, the kit's GPIO header (J1) extends through to the top of the board with pins - meaning that a female-to-female cable can be used to connect the board to the RPi.

Yet my assembled board has only the socket on the bottom of the board, meaning that a male-to-female cable is required.

Am I mistaken?

Alan.
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

ianajo

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:42 pm

jardino wrote:Difference between kit and assembled board?

As far as I can tell from photographs, the kit's GPIO header (J1) extends through to the top of the board with pins - meaning that a female-to-female cable can be used to connect the board to the RPi.

Yet my assembled board has only the socket on the bottom of the board, meaning that a male-to-female cable is required.

Am I mistaken?

Alan.
No you are correct. but the assembled board can also plug straight onto the Pi
If you want to keep your Pi in a case you will need to make a cable (see my other posts for some pics and info ).

Gert van Loo

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:54 pm

Am I mistaken?

Alan.
I you go to page 5 of the user manual you find a photograph of the new board stacked on top of a Raspberry-Pi:
Attachments
stacked_GB.png
Assembled Gertboard plugged into a Raspberry-Pi.
stacked_GB.png (514.08 KiB) Viewed 3754 times

jamesh

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:59 pm

ianajo wrote:
example.jpg
jamesh wrote:
I have the wiring schematics.

I mean a picture/pattern/map (simple example above) call it what you like, of the board copper track layout.

And perhaps my eyes are not as young and working as well as some.

Thanks anyway
Why do you need that if you have the schematic?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

ianajo

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:11 pm

Why do you need that if you have the schematic?[/quote]

We need to forget this one now

Although I am sure such layout drawing will exist

As I said earlier "so not available"

jardino

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:30 pm

ianajo said:

"...the assembled board can also plug straight onto the Pi."

I know - that's the way I've been working since mine arrived a few days ago.
However, I'd like to separate them and wanted to make sure I got the right cable.

And one supplier (who currently offers only f-to-f cables) is advertising an assembled board with a picture of a kit board connected to an Rpi with an f-to-f cable. I'll let them know.

Regards,
Alan.
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

ianajo

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:48 pm

jardino wrote:ianajo said:

"...the assembled board can also plug straight onto the Pi."

I know - that's the way I've been working since mine arrived a few days ago.
However, I'd like to separate them and wanted to make sure I got the right cable.

And one supplier (who currently offers only f-to-f cables) is advertising an assembled board with a picture of a kit board connected to an Rpi with an f-to-f cable. I'll let them know.

Regards,
Alan.
The male boxed headers that compress onto the ribbon seem to be very hard to get.
There is an ebay link in one of my other posts.
They come from China.
It is New Year holiday there and the link is not working other than to say there not back until February 20th I hope it comes back on the same address after then.
I have been unable to find another source.
If anyone else can find a local supplier please post it
The female ribbon headers seem to be easily found.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”