marcelp1

Raspberry Pi TV HAT Quad Tuner and Multi standard

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:07 pm

The Pi TV HAT is great but,
To be truly great HAT it would great to have Dual Tuner or even better Quad Tuner build in.

Why Dual/Quad Tuner?
To be able to Record/Watch/Stream from more than one MUX at the same time :)
Here in the UK there is 9 MUXes in London (3 of them T2).

Why Multi standard?
Digital TV is not about DVB-T/T2.
How about DVB-S2X satellite tuner and DVB-C/C2 for Cable TV
Or the ATSC for the USA, Canada, Mexico and South Korea
ISDB-T for Brazil, Latin America and Japan
and last the DTMB for China, Cuba, Hong-Kong and Pakistan

snowballEarth

Re: Raspberry Pi TV HAT Quad Tuner and Multi standard

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:27 pm

Agreed. Would love a surprise announcement later this year of a new TV hat, but I'm not up on speculation on what hardware is next for the Foundation. I'm guessing further forays into the world of TV tuners depends on how sales of the previous release went amongst other factors. This year's plans have probably been derailed.

Meantime, you'll need to invest in time to research which satellite and cable tuners are compatible with the Pi and go the route of already available usb tuners. I'm currently using two dvb-t2 tuners (pctv 292e) plugged into a usb hub, then into a pi 4. That way I can record or watch from two different muxes at the same time

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:07 pm

You're asking for something that is already better served elsewhere.

The TV HAT provides a simple way to interface one DVB-T2 tuner via SPI. It isn't trivial to multiplex multiple SPI devices that are wanting reasonable bandwidths, therefore it's not something that scales.

USB DVB T2, S2, and C tuners are available, and generally just work (check https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ ... nformation before buying). If you want multiple tuners then go and buy them. Hauppauge do have an employee who is working on making them work well on mainline kernels, so they're generally a good choice.
DVB-S2 is trickier as it needs to supply the LNB supply. Pulling large amounts of power at 5V from USB to do that isn't a great plan, hence they often have external power supplies.

Personally I have 2 Hauppauge WinTV-DualHD tuners (DVB-T2 or DVB-C), and a couple of older, now obsolete, DVB-S2 tuners (DVBSky S960, and Geniatech HD Star).
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

trejan

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:41 pm

If you want easy then get a HDHomeRun box. It comes in dual and quad tuner versions.

WhyNine

Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:40 am

The Sony tuner on the HAT is compatible with DVB-C (not C2 but nobody is using that standard anyway) but not sure about the driver.

It won't be much use to you in the UK as there are very few (no?) FTA channels on cable.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”