thenrie

Problem getting Navit to connect with gps - rpi4

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:44 pm

Not sure where to post this, but this forum seems as close as I'll get. Just hoping somebody can help.

I have an Adafruit GPS unit attached to a rpi4B via usb. The gps is functioning, as evidenced by readout in minicom and cgps -s. I installed Navit by the raspbian menu preferences function. I have edited the navit.xml file to include the following lines:

<!-- Vehicle with GPS enabled for gpsd on unix-->
<vehicle name="Local GPS" profilename="car" enabled="yes" active="1"$
source="gpsd:/dev/ttyUSB0 baudrate=9600" gpsd_query="w+xj" follow="2"

I have tried various sources, according to the various outdated tutorials, as well as the current Navit documentation, to include code: source="gpsd://dev/ttyUSB0" and source="gpsd://ttyUSB0" and source="file://dev/ttyUSB0" and source="/dev/ttyUSB0" etc.

Several months ago I had it all working on a rpi3B, including GPS, but set it aside for awhile, then upgraded to the rpi4, now I can't get it working.

I've been disappointed in the documentation I've found on Navit and nothing addresses rpi4.

Error messages I get upon Navit startup are as follows:

error:vehicle_gpsd:vehicle_gpsd_try_open:gps_open failed for 'gpsd:/dev/ttyUSB0 baudrate=9600'. Retrying in 10 seconds. Have you started gpsd?
error:navit:xinclude:Unable to include /usr/share/navit/maps/*.xml

I undderstand the maps error. But I cannot figure out why the gps is not connecting. Again, the gps is functioning. cgps -s returns active output. gpsd is functioning.

I don't know whether this is a problem of gpsd on rpi4, Navit on rpi4, or just an outdated Navit that hasn't yet caught up with the current Linux kernel. Or maybe its something as simple as some configuration setting I can't find.

I would sure appreciate some help.

thenrie

Re: Problem getting Navit to connect with gps - rpi4

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:16 pm

Never mind. Got it.

Andyroo

Re: Problem getting Navit to connect with gps - rpi4

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:42 pm

thenrie wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:16 pm
Never mind. Got it.
You may like to mark the post as solved (just edit your first post and change the title) and put a quick note on here saying what you did to help anyone in the future with the same issue :D

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”