sovapatr

Ultimate GPS Pi HAT wont boot.

Fri May 10, 2019 7:16 pm

I have a RPi3b+ that I am trying to use the Adafruit Ultimate GPS Pi HAT. But my pi won't boot when it is connected. The ACT light flashes green a couple times and then that is it.

I believe I have narrowed it do to the ID EEPROM pins. When I only connect the the UART pins, 3.3V, and ground it boots fine and works. I found a post that suggested trying force_eeprom_read=0. But that didn't seem to help.

Has anyone ran into this or have a suggestion on what to do?

Thank you

Andyroo

Re: Ultimate GPS Pi HAT wont boot.

Fri May 10, 2019 10:24 pm

The UART on pins BCM 14 and 15 act as a console terminal at boot if I remember.

I would boot the Pi up without the hat and stop the console from being active using

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
Interfacing / serial - disable console messages, enable hardware

It is possible the ID prom is duff - you could try adding bcm2708.vc_i2c_override=1 to cmdline.txt but I think this stops the kernel using the ID proms and not the check...

It could be your power supply - what do you have?
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

sovapatr

Sat May 11, 2019 1:45 am

I've already disabled the serial console. And I can read the gps data when I wire the UART and power directly. Though ideally I'd like to use it as a HAT so it will fit nicely in the case I have. I'm using a CanaKit branded powersupply. Though I've also tried a phone charger with the same results.

I'll give the bcm2708.vc_i2c_override=1 a try.

Is there anyway that I can read from the eeprom of a device connected after boot? If I knew how to read it then I might be able to see if it was corrupt.

Andyroo

Sat May 11, 2019 12:32 pm

I think you will have to connect the eeprom to the standard I2C bus to read it.

Have a look at this sticky https://lb.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... p?t=108134 that has a command to recover the data.

One other thought is that it could be a short - maybe a pile of DuPont cables and connect the pins one by one?
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”