Cacodemon

Piconzero outputting only 1,4v? [solved]

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:04 am

So, I have Piconzero connected to 5v power source, tried to run some of the manufacturer's files to test if the motor is working.. most of the time it didn't aside from few sluggish moves.. not when I ran the code itself but after I quit it. :o The motor would require 4-6 volts and the outputs are supposed to give approx five. The codes didn't seem faulty, so I ended up wondering if I had messed up with the connections but as I let the multimeter speak, it appeared I'm getting only 1,4 volts from the outputs which are supposed to run my motor. I have nothing else connected to the Piconzero than that one servo motor, so I'm wondering what could be causing this.. am I missing something?

B.Goode

Re: Piconzero outputting only 1,4v?

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:32 am

I don't think I have a PiConZero to check, although I have always found other products from 4Tronix to be reliable. The owner/developer behind these devices is a member here and an occasional contributor.

But a couple of things to check:

Is the pHat correctly fitted to the RPi? Check for an 'off by one' error.

What are your power supply arrangements? What are the settings of the JP1 and JP2 jumpers - they correct for your application?

B.Goode

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:17 am

Follow up:

What model of RPi board are you using to host this add-on?

Because I have just seen this:
** NB The Picon Zero also fits the 3B+ model of Pi, but you need an additional spacer to keep it away from the POE pins that the nice people at Raspberry Pi added. We now include these spacers with every Picon Zero
Ref: https://shop.4tronix.co.uk/products/picon-zero

An unintended short circuit might give the symptoms you describe?

Cacodemon

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:21 pm

Oh yea, silly me had forgotten to check jumpers - so the output voltage is sorted. Thanks. :oops: I'm using Pi Zero with the hat, so there shouldn't be short-circuits.

A new problem came up however; while testing the Hat and servo with examples provided by 4tronix (both motorTest.py and servoTest.py) and after double-checking that I installed everything correctly, the servo (Tower Pro MG90S to be precise) makes few twitchy moves if any at all and then it stops working completely. I currently don't have servo tester, but could this be symptom of damaged or faulty motor or is there anything I could try with the hat before buying another motor.. with the risk it won't work either? :P

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:58 pm

A new question demand a new thread, unfortunately I cannot duplicate and split off a post, so I suggest you start a new question yourself, I will mark this one as solved.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”