Pi-Scan

Power Button on/off module (with ttl shutdown timer)

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:05 am

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that i'm working on a intelligent powerbutton for the raspberry pi.

It has only one pushbutton, wich can turn the power on and off.
When power is turned off the power stays on for a given time, so the raspberry pi has time to shutdown.

When the button is triggered, it will turn power off and the pi will read the gpio pin high and command a shutdown.

If the pi is shutdown in the software, it will give the button module a command to shut off the power.

I have most of this circuit up and running now.

Image is attached...

poing

Re: Power Button on/off module (with ttl shutdown timer)

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Sounds good, interested. Although no image?

R.J. Steinert

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:32 pm

@Pi-Scan That sounds like a nice design. The timer functionality is definitely a feature that's nice to have.

At Open Learning Exchange we are using Pi's as headless servers to offer services on a LAN, services that use software that really wants to be shutdown properly. We're considering using the Adafruit i2c 16x2 RGB LCD Pi Plate (http://adafruit.com/products/1110) to expose a shutdown function. The left and right arrows would let you select with function to run, select would execute that function (in this case, a shutdown function). It's also really handy for us to have the IP of the device displayed. The drawback to this approach are as follows:

- additional cost, $25 for the shield
- there isn't a Pi case on the market that will accomodate the shield

A simple shutdown button might be able to avoid these two drawbacks. Perhaps a button on USB that could live outside of the case would be the simplest design.

- rjsteinert

Pi-Scan

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:46 am

I decided to go with another aproach.

I will now be using a microcontroller to do all this. This way it will be a fully programmable, "USB" plug and play power on/off button with led indicators.

I am now waiting for parts to arrive.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”