shippwreck

Gertboard 2 always lit LED's...

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi,

Now i'm sorry if you get a lot of these, but I don't know where else to post...

Firstly i'm new to this, I program for a living, but have never touched the actual parts ;-) Last night I finished soldering up the Gertboard and it looked like it does in the pics, happy I went to sleep. Today I purchased a Digital Multi Meter from Maplin. I plugged the Gertboard into the Pi, placed the multi meter probes across the connections pictured at the end of the manual and I got 3.3V exactly, so pleased! Then as the manual says that you should get 3.3V across any of the ground points I tried those (with the jumper in place) and they worked perfectly too. So that all appeared good. However there is one curious thing... two of the LED's are permanently on...

I took a picture and uploaded it to the link below showing the two LED's... any ideas?

I haven't yet tried the test programs, need a little more time than I have tonight i'm afraid. The only thing that I can think of is that I have managed to put those two in backwards... what do you think, is that likely?

Thanks for any and all help!!!

Matt

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Gertboard 2 always lit LED's...

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:41 pm

what happens if you touch the pins at the top of the board next to the leds (specifically Buff5 and Buff6)? Or just run your finger along them all. What you might well see is that one or two other leds light and these might go out. :D Do it a few times. If that clears it, it's all good. :D

It might be something related to this...
http://raspi.tv/2012/gertboard-is-a-proximity-sensor
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Gert van Loo

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Connect the buf5 and buf6 pins to an adjacent ground pin.
They should go out.

shippwreck

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Yep, connecting the pins, whether that be with jumpers or simply by touching them and then disconnecting does indeed make them go out / reset them. I wont pretend to understand it, but thanks for the help. I'm really looking forward to experimenting with it now.

Just so you know mine doesn't seem to exhibit the "proximity sensor" characteristics.

Thanks for the help (and for the board) :D

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:30 am

shippwreck wrote:Yep, connecting the pins, whether that be with jumpers or simply by touching them and then disconnecting does indeed make them go out / reset them. I wont pretend to understand it, but thanks for the help. I'm really looking forward to experimenting with it now.

Just so you know mine doesn't seem to exhibit the "proximity sensor" characteristics.

Thanks for the help (and for the board) :D
When you plug straps in between the buffers and GPIO it probably will. ;)
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”