belos

Raspberry Pi TV Hat DVB-T2 Gateway (Tvheadend with FFmpeg and realtime hardware video stream transcoding)

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:23 pm

This is a very-very short installation manual that gives 100% working result.
Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Raspberry Pi TV Hat.

1. Install Raspbian Jessie (not Raspbian Stretch!) and update the system.

2. Install Tvheadend v4.3 (unstable) as described here:
https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheaden ... tories#fn3

3. Configure Tvheadend, and test viewing your air TV channels using default MPEG-TS Pass-through "pass" stream profile.

4. Download and compile OpenMAX-enabled FFmpeg:
https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... ith_ffmpeg

4. Run the following command and make sure you can see the test picture. This means that hardware acceleration works properly:

Code: Select all

"gst-launch-1.0 -v videotestsrc ! omxh264enc ! h264parce ! omx264dec ! glimagesink"

5. Create new streaming profile in Tvheadend web interface (Configuration->Stream->Stream Profiles) using "MPEG-TS Spawn/ built-in" type with the command line:

"ffmpeg -i - -f mpegts -c:a copy -c:v h264_omx -b:v 368k pipe:1"

This will generate the stream with the bitrate about 500-600 kbit/s instead of several Mbit/s using GPU hardware transcoding.
During the transcoding CPU usage will not be higher than 40-60% comparing to 150% in case if you are using any other software transcoding. CPU temperature will not raise above 60-65°C.

Most probably this configuration will work on any Raspberry Pi (even on RPi Zero), of course, depending on the input signal complexity.
I also have Kodi on my RPi Zero connected to TV that is used as a client system for the described installation.

Hope this info will help someone. I´m open for any comments and questions.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspberry Pi TV Hat DVB-T2 Gateway (Tvheadend with FFmpeg and realtime hardware video stream transcoding)

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:23 pm

belos wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:23 pm
This is a very-very short installation manual that gives 100% working result.
Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Raspberry Pi TV Hat.

1. Install Raspbian Jessie (not Raspbian Stretch!) and update the system.

2. Install Tvheadend v4.3 (unstable) as described here:
https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheaden ... tories#fn3

3. Configure Tvheadend, and test viewing your air TV channels using default MPEG-TS Pass-through "pass" stream profile.

4. Download and compile OpenMAX-enabled FFmpeg:
https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... ith_ffmpeg

4. Run the following command and make sure you can see the test picture. This means that hardware acceleration works properly:

"gst-launch-1.0 -v videotestsrc ! omxh264enc ! h264parce ! omx264dec ! glimagesink"

5. Create new streaming profile in Tvheadend web interface (Configuration->Stream->Stream Profiles) using "MPEG-TS Spawn/ built-in" type with the command line:

"ffmpeg -i - -f mpegts -c:a copy -c:v h264_omx -b:v 368k pipe:1"

This will generate the stream with the bitrate about 500-600 kbit/s instead of several Mbit/s using GPU hardware transcoding.
During the transcoding CPU usage will not be higher than 40-60% comparing to 150% in case if you are using any other software transcoding. CPU temperature will not raise above 60-65°C.

Most probably this configuration will work on any Raspberry Pi (even on RPi Zero), of course, depending on the input signal complexity.
I also have Kodi on my RPi Zero connected to TV that is used as a client system for the described installation.

Hope this info will help someone. I´m open for any comments and questions.

Raspbian Jessie is no longer supported and any user not aware will try this on the 3B+ / 3A+......
Adieu

belos

Re: Raspberry Pi TV Hat DVB-T2 Gateway (Tvheadend with FFmpeg and realtime hardware video stream transcoding)

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:35 am

Thanks, that´s right. But sometimes we have to use old, but proved solutions to achieve the desired result.

gkreidl

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:36 am

My rtranscode V4 package offers a complete transcoding solution which works with different backends on both Jessie and Stretch. Transcoding on Jessie is more efficient though because the gst-omx module has implemented hardware scaling, which is missing in the Stretch version.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=123876
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

fanoush

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:47 pm

Just wondering what type of trancoding (resolution? codec types?) is this targeted for? Can this transcode HEVC/h265 to h264 in realtime on pi3b+? Or does it trancode mpeg-2 to h264? Can it do mpeg-2 in realtime without paid HW codec?

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”