DjoeC

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:24 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Interesting - I hadn't realised that people didn't know there was a problem.

There will be a v2, blog post should cover all the details.
Known or not, they are still for sale as if nothing is wrong..... See: https://www.sossolutions.nl/raspberry-p ... i-model-3b

colweb

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 pm

Bought mine from sos solutions. But fortunately could return it without problem. I did mail them and pointed them to this thread but got no response.

Strange thing is, the PEO hat did work without problem before updating the PI. But as the fan didn't work I did update the software. With the latest version of Raspbian the fan worked but the over-current problem also arrived.

To me it looks like not only a hardware problem but a software problem as well. Maybe somebody who still has the hat can confirm that it works with an older version of Raspbian and not with the latest version. Or could it be that I was just lucky to have it working before doing the update.

rasporg

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:41 am

DjoeC wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:24 pm
jamesh wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Interesting - I hadn't realised that people didn't know there was a problem.

There will be a v2, blog post should cover all the details.
Known or not, they are still for sale as if nothing is wrong..... See: https://www.sossolutions.nl/raspberry-p ... i-model-3b
I did wrote about this wrong text few weeks ago but never got any reply from them. I wrote them on the 26 of September when I got an e-mail that the started selling the set version of 3B+ and the Poe Hat.

Maybe the are using returned Poe Hat's to make the bundle, when I am playing the advocate of the Devil.

Exchanging or returning cost almost 8 euro's so there is an incentive to just not return the defective Poe Hat. I am waiting impatiently on the official statement in the blog so I can point out to Sossolutions that a defective product was sold.

Not changing the product description and not acting on a customer review that you have push pins through the board to have enough contact to be using the HDMI.

I love my RaspberryPi's that I have but this time I feel let down and frustrated that it takes such a long time.

Maybe Raspberry can look into if this behaviour by Sossolutions is enough to revoke their Approved Reseller status.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:04 am

colweb wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 pm
Bought mine from sos solutions. But fortunately could return it without problem. I did mail them and pointed them to this thread but got no response.

Strange thing is, the PEO hat did work without problem before updating the PI. But as the fan didn't work I did update the software. With the latest version of Raspbian the fan worked but the over-current problem also arrived.

To me it looks like not only a hardware problem but a software problem as well. Maybe somebody who still has the hat can confirm that it works with an older version of Raspbian and not with the latest version. Or could it be that I was just lucky to have it working before doing the update.
Odd, we are pretty sure this is a HW fault only. Fixed boards show no issues, even with the same software, but we are still testing.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

martinrowan

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:52 am

James, the updated software would have provided the fan driver so the fan would be turning on and off. One of my combinations of HAT and Pi that triggered the warnings under low/no-load would sometimes trigger the warning each time the fan started and stopped. Forcing the fan to always be on (or off without the sw update) would mask part of the problem.

Thanks Martin

The_Raven

Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:30 am

This is the story how we searched, isolated, found and solved the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdVDiQXd1kc

Keep in mind that you loose warranty with this fix! You better wait for the official fix. ;)

BennyE

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:02 am

Cool stuff anyway, congratulations!

travellingkiwi

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Does anyone know when the fixed POEHats will be available?

Imperf3kt

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:39 pm

travellingkiwi wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:27 pm
Does anyone know when the fixed POEHats will be available?
Yes, "when they're ready"

No information has been made public about a re-release date as of yet, so nobody can tell you different.
Stop plugging your fan directly into the GPIO 5v
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/transient-suppression.html

rasporg

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:18 am

Going to send back my PoE HAT and asking for a refund. :cry:

jamesh

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:00 am

rasporg wrote:
That what I would do. Once the new version is fully tested and the channels refilled, you can get one of those.

the_ewan

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:21 pm

So i've just had a brief exchange with someone on Twitter in the replies to the TV hat thread who was wondering why the PoE hats were constantly 'out of stock' - they hadn't heard either.:

https://twitter.com/__Plasma__/status/1 ... 9444108289

The continued lack of a blog post on this is causing more problems than any slightly rushed interim post could possibly do. If you're not ready to post the full story with all the details and the fix recipes and the plans for the future version 2 that's fine. But post something.
Last edited by the_ewan on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesh

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:40 pm

the_ewan wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:21 pm
So i've just had a brief exchange with someone on Twitter in the replies to the TV HAT thread who was wondering why the PoE hat's were constantly 'out of stock' - they hadn't heard either.:

https://twitter.com/__Plasma__/status/1 ... 9444108289

The continued lack of a blog post on this is causing more problems than any slightly rushed interim post could possibly do. If you're not ready to post the full story with all the details and the fix recipes and the plans for the future version 2 that's fine. But post something.
I have asked when a post is expected, but no-one is ready to do one yet. Engineer in charge is currently at manufacturing site getting things sorted out. I pressume once back a blog post will be done.

the_ewan

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:44 pm

And my point is that y'all should not wait for them. Plenty is known already to post a "Hey, the PoE hats aren't on sale while we investigate" holding position, and that would be enough to help right now.

The silence is misleading.

Edit - just to be clear, the plural 'you' there is because I appreciate your efforts on this; you're doing fine with the communicating. Some of your colleagues, OTOH, not so much.

jamesh

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:10 pm

the_ewan wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:44 pm
And my point is that y'all should not wait for them. Plenty is known already to post a "Hey, the PoE hats aren't on sale while we investigate" holding position, and that would be enough to help right now.

The silence is misleading.

No it isn't. it just means we're not ready to say anything yet.

We have investigated, we have a fix, the fix is being implemented and meanwhile the device sales are paused. That the entirety of what blog post could say.

the_ewan

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 pm

We have investigated, we have a fix, the fix is being implemented. That the entirety of what blog post could say.
Yes, and that would be helpful. People who haven't realised there's a problem at all don't know any of those things.

__Plasma__

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:18 pm

I have to agree with Ewan, this information is not widely known at all. I was ready to pick pay almost 3 times the regular price because they were ‘out of stock’ at all the normal places. If these said “product recalled” or “sales halted due to issues” I would have discovered this much sooner. Or the product page on the blog had a note saying there were issues.

I even asked the official RaspberryPi twitter account directly about the lack of stock earlier in the week ........

https://twitter.com/__plasma__/status/1 ... 18766?s=21

Silence, no reply nothing.

It wasn’t until I made a semi sarcastic comment on the TV HAT announcement tweet that Ewan then helpfully explained why there were actually ‘out of stock’.

The lack of official acceptance and notification of this problem leaves a sour taste in my mouth and I am a Pi lover with 5 currently in my possession.

Plasma

jamesh

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:44 pm

__Plasma__ wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:18 pm
I have to agree with Ewan, this information is not widely known at all. I was ready to pick pay almost 3 times the regular price because they were ‘out of stock’ at all the normal places. If these said “product recalled” or “sales halted due to issues” I would have discovered this much sooner. Or the product page on the blog had a note saying there were issues.

I even asked the official RaspberryPi twitter account directly about the lack of stock earlier in the week ........

https://twitter.com/__plasma__/status/1 ... 18766?s=21

Silence, no reply nothing.

It wasn’t until I made a semi sarcastic comment on the TV HAT announcement tweet that Ewan then helpfully explained why there were actually ‘out of stock’.

The lack of official acceptance and notification of this problem leaves a sour taste in my mouth and I am a Pi lover with 5 currently in my possession.

Plasma
I'll pass your comments on.

rasporg

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:43 pm

jamesh wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:00 am
rasporg wrote:
That what I would do. Once the new version is fully tested and the channels refilled, you can get one of those.
I know, but I am affraid that I have lost my confidence by all that silence. People are left in the unclear and still can buy a not good operating board and only discover it when they going to use it.

The warning provided by webshop I use, is just not clear and correspondence about that is not answered. It was the last time I bought something with them.

I have found here enough information and also want thank you in special for being so open.

Roken

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:13 pm

I have to say, I'm surprised by the negative comments. The original hat is not a dud, so to speak. It works headless, and with a minor config fix. There's a 9 page thread here about it, just in case anyone is hunting.

Personally, I say, give the engineers a chance. Anyone who hasn't heard about the issue clearly hasn't looked very far.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

rasporg

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Roken wrote:
I have to say, I'm surprised by the negative comments. The original hat is not a dud, so to speak. It works headless, and with a minor config fix. There's a 9 page thread here about it, just in case anyone is hunting.

Personally, I say, give the engineers a chance. Anyone who hasn't heard about the issue clearly hasn't looked very far.
I don't think anyone has criticised the engineers here, it is further up the organization that seems to delay information.

Imperf3kt

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Roken wrote:

You'll probably notice if you read through the 9 page thread, that the POE hat has been identified to misbehave, even if seemingly working. It was stated several times that "something odd" is going on with it, by Raspberry Pi employees.

So in my opinion, it's not a dud, but it is defective.
Stop plugging your fan directly into the GPIO 5v
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/transient-suppression.html

robertloomans

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:40 am

Roken wrote:
Not in my experience: even if I could get mine to boot and only spit out a couple of overcurrent warning before the fan spun up, it would periodically have bursts of errors.

Confidence in an organisation is built by how they communicate, especially when things don't go well. Silence is not confidence inspiring.

People shouldn't *have* to look hard. (Have you read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/40705- ... eventually)

Roken

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:02 am

A quick google search brings this thread to number 1 position. I don't consider that "too hard".
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

__Plasma__

Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:28 am

Roken wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:02 am
A quick google search brings this thread to number 1 position. I don't consider that "too hard".
A quick search “once you know there is a problem” and this thread is easy to find. But none of the official selling sites that stock it have any metion they just say “out of stock”. Which may lead you to believe they are SO GOOD that they sold out, when in actual fact they are unavailable due to being SO BAD. Anyone looking to buy one usually goes to the announcement page, then most likely to a re-seller.

At a bare minimum there should be an announcement or large clear note on the blog for the PoE HAT saying that it has problems.

Plasma

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”