heuristicjohn

Gertbot and i2c ?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Hello ! Query: is it possible to use the RPi i2c interface (pins 3 &5, GPIO2 & 3) when the Gertbot is installed ? The main problem is that these pins do not appear to be accessible on either board (short of soldering to the RPi pins !); also I suppose Gertbot may use them for other purposes. I am running a python program incorporating the DCC drivers from gertbot.py to control a small model railway, , and would like to link in other devices via i2c. Any comments welcomed.

thagrol

Re: Gertbot and i2c ?

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:09 am

heuristicjohn wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:05 pm
Hello ! Query: is it possible to use the RPi i2c interface (pins 3 &5, GPIO2 & 3) when the Gertbot is installed ? The main problem is that these pins do not appear to be accessible on either board (short of soldering to the RPi pins !); also I suppose Gertbot may use them for other purposes. I am running a python program incorporating the DCC drivers from gertbot.py to control a small model railway, , and would like to link in other devices via i2c. Any comments welcomed.
Gert isn't likely to see your post, his advise was to post in the gertboard section for gertbot issues.

That said, the gertbot doesn't use I2C for communication with the Pi, all comms are done over serial (and possibly an interrupt pin, but I can't remember).

Although the board has a 26 pin connector, you don't have to use that to connect to the Pi, the documentation mentions several other ways of doing so not including jumper wires from the Pi to the 26 pin connector. See the manuals at www.gertbot.com/download.html for more info.

There also several third party addons that allow connection of multiple HATs/boards to a Pi.
This space unintentionally left blank.

heuristicjohn

Re: Gertbot and i2c ?

Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:41 pm

Thanks for your comment. Looks as though all I need to do for a neat solution is interpose a prototyping board between the RPi and Gertbot, using a stacking header. This gives me access to all the I/O pins, including i2c. I was slightly concerned when I found the line PIN_I2C = 6 in the gertbot.py program, but presumably this is a typo.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”