rpdom

Re: ETA for Official POE Hat for 3B+

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:37 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:14 am
Have you run sudo apt update && sudo apt -y dist-upgrade to ensure you have the latest stable kernel and bootcode (which is required for the POE HAT)?
That's required for the fan speed control. The PoE part is strictly hardware and doesn't need any upgraded kernel or bootcode, obvious since if the PoE didn't work, the Pi wouldn't power up and the bootcode wouldn't get loaded.

nightwatchman

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:44 am

Good idea. I will try swapping the hats around. I booted it up again this morning and I can reproduce, so I will get the ironing done and then try swapping the Hats.

My switch too is seeing it as a Class 3 PoE device.

I will do the dist-upgrade again, just to ensure everything is A-OK.

nightwatchman

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:17 am

Okay, so I've done a bit more testing. I have swapped the PoE hats around: the Pi having the problem with the power LED sometimes going off for a few seconds does still happen, which makes me think the Pi itself could be the issue... however I only bought it new about 2 weeks ago, there's been no changes to it, nothing else plugged in to the board, etc. I tried it again with a micro-USB power source and the problem does not happen. Strange, especially as I have swapped the Hat's so trying to find some sort of correlation is getting harder!

Even though I have swapped both HAT's around, both Pi's still display the same issue with the USB ports losing power: it is like a single microsecond all ports will lose power, and then power all back on again. This generally happens after a few minutes, and I have better luck reproducing the issue by doing something that is accessing the USB HDD (e.g., browsing the folder structure, or as one particular Pi runs MinimServer, just playing music). Sometimes it can take 5 - 10 minutes before it starts happening - usually after plugging it in they boot fine - but it certainly does happen.

When I originally got the Hat home fresh from being delivered, I put it straight on to test it (so did not update Raspbian with the new Hat changes). The above problem was worse at that stage; that USB HDD was struggling to power on at all.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:25 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote: When I am back in the office, I can give instructions on how to adjust what happens and at which temperatures.
Sorry, forgot about that.

The temperatures and PWM values are defines here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... verlay.dts

For example:

Code: Select all

fan0: [email protected] {
				compatible = "rpi-poe-fan";
				firmware = <&firmware>;
				cooling-min-state = <0>;
				cooling-max-state = <3>;
				#cooling-cells = <2>;
				cooling-levels = <0 50 150 255>;
				status = "okay";
			};
That defines 4 cooling levels, corresponding to PWM values 0, 50, 150, 255.

threshold: [email protected] {
					temperature = <45000>;
					hysteresis = <5000>;
					type = "active";
				};
Says defines a trip point saying something should happen at 45C and stop happening at 45-5=40C.

map0 {
					trip = <&threshold>;
					cooling-device = <&fan0 0 1>;

Creates a mapping between cooling levels and trip points. In this case it says, that to jump up to cooling level 1 (50) at 'threshold' trip point temperature and come down to cooling level 0 (0) when the temperature drops by the 'hysteresis' value.

My explanation might be a bit awful, so here's the full documentation:
wget https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... hermal.txt

So, to change those values to whatever suits you, download the file:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/raw/rpi-4.14.y/arch/arm/boot/dts/overlays/rpi-poe-overlay.dts
Make your edits and build the .dtbo file:

dtc [email protected] -I dts -O dtb -o rpi-poe.dtbo rpi-poe-overlay.dts
Copy the file into /boot/overlays (maybe make a backup of the original) and reboot.

Stuart-JW

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:43 pm

thanks for posting this...

i bumped the temps up by 5 degrees to get past my pi's idling temp which was around 45, so it kept triggering the fan. now the fan stays off at idle till the pi has some work to do :P

edit increased to 10 degrees, it gets a bit hotter with the case lid on, :roll:

Stuart-JW

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:35 am

seems i now have this over current error on my hat too, started today...
Aug 25 01:33:41 raspberrypi kernel: [ 467.786366] usb 1-1-port2: over-current change
Aug 25 01:33:41 raspberrypi kernel: [ 467.876360] usb 1-1.1-port3: over-current change
Aug 25 01:33:41 raspberrypi kernel: [ 468.026344] usb 1-1-port3: over-current change
Aug 25 01:33:41 raspberrypi kernel: [ 468.116361] usb 1-1.1-port2: over-current change
Aug 25 01:33:41 raspberrypi kernel: [ 468.266318] usb 1-1-port4: over-current change
Aug 25 01:33:41 raspberrypi kernel: [ 468.356366] usb 1-1.1-port3: over-current change
Aug 25 01:33:41 raspberrypi kernel: [ 468.506343] usb 1-1-port2: over-current change
Aug 25 01:33:42 raspberrypi kernel: [ 468.596362] usb 1-1.1-port2: over-current change
Aug 25 01:33:42 raspberrypi kernel: [ 468.746317] usb 1-1-port3: over-current change
Aug 25 01:33:42 raspberrypi kernel: [ 468.836343] usb 1-1.1-port3: over-current change

there was nothing plugged in to any usb port at the time, i tried my external usb drive adapter again but this time it just keeps power cycling on then off. maybe there all duff :shock:

timothee

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm experiencing the same issue as nightwatchman, with the same Ubiquiti Unifi 16P 150W PoE+ switch and a Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB flash drive plugged in the RPi (from which it boots and runs Raspbian).

I bought that switch after having difficulties powering a Ubiquiti in-wall AP with my former Linksys PoE+ switch, and until now was powering only Ubiquiti stuff with it. Is Ubiquiti not respecting the PoE/PoE+ standards in their AP's and switches or what? The power reserve can't be the issue; alle PoE powered devices (5 pieces) are only using 3 - 8 W from the 150W available.

My RPi 3B+ is running fine from USB flash drive when powered by the original adapter, but is getting instable / unresponsive with the PoE Hat used :(
I haven't tried it with an SD card instead of USB flash drive...swichted to USB because of stability issues with my previous RPi 2B and 3B running from SD card!

mitchind

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:02 pm

timothee wrote:
I'm experiencing the same issue as nightwatchman, with the same Ubiquiti Unifi 16P 150W PoE+ switch and a Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB flash drive plugged in the RPi (from which it boots and runs Raspbian).

I bought that switch after having difficulties powering a Ubiquiti in-wall AP with my former Linksys PoE+ switch, and until now was powering only Ubiquiti stuff with it. Is Ubiquiti not respecting the PoE/PoE+ standards in their AP's and switches or what? The power reserve can't be the issue; alle PoE powered devices (5 pieces) are only using 3 - 8 W from the 150W available.

My RPi 3B+ is running fine from USB flash drive when powered by the original adapter, but is getting instable / unresponsive with the PoE Hat used :(
I haven't tried it with an SD card instead of USB flash drive...swichted to USB because of stability issues with my previous RPi 2B and 3B running from SD card!
I think it best you start a new question

hippy

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:40 pm

mitchind wrote:
Or search for threads where others are reporting the same issue and join one of those.

Roken

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:52 pm

Does this USB issue present itself, when, for example, 2 USB HDs are plugged in via a powered USB hub. I've invested in a PoE switch and, for the moment, one PoE hat. That is working fine on a completely headless Pi with nothing plugged in.

I have three more Pis, 2 of them 3B+ (the other - 3B - can't, I believe, use the hat). One has a USB cam for Motioneye, connected directly. and the other 3B+ has two USB HDs connected via a powered hub. The latter is the important one, since the two drives are NFS, and the other three Pis boot rootfs from the NFS share.

I would like to PoE the other two PI 3B+, but I'm concerned I'll still need a separate power supply for them.

Anyone tested USB with a powered hub?
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

martinrowan

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:10 pm

As per this thread: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 5&t=220984
I've had issues with USB over current triggering with nothing connected, with just a wireless keyboard/mouse transceiver, a simple USB flash drive, a memory card reader (without any cards) and an LED lit magnifying light. So at the moment it looks pretty much like USB ports are useless if you want to use this HAT. They do work fine if you use an external PoE splitter. I've just posted my status over here too: https://www.martinrowan.co.uk/2018/09/r ... usb-ports/

Trying to do what I can to get some attention/response from the Engineering team. Really hope it's something software/firmware related.
Thanks Martin

timothee

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:00 pm

mitchind wrote:
timothee wrote:

Why should I start a new question? I'm reacting on nightwatchman's issue he reported in this thread, because I'm making use of the same PoE switch as he does!

BTW: I already replied in one of the other topics / threads where issues are reported with using the official PoE hat in combination with the USB ports... It definitely isn't a problem with my switch, but seems like a hardware or software/firmware issue with the PoE hat, so I'll return it.

hippy

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:47 am

timothee wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:00 pm
Why should I start a new question? I'm reacting on nightwatchman's issue he reported in this thread, because I'm making use of the same PoE switch as he does!
That's a fair point. nightwatchman should really have started a new thread, and a new thread should have really been started when when we moved from discussing the ETA of the HAT to other topics. Someone should have said as such but no one did. Probably because they never predicted it would turn so completely into a thread about some other issue.

Perhaps mods could close the thread now the ETA has arrived or split the thread so it doesn't continue in its off-topic direction.

jamesh

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:59 am

Well, original question is moot now, so closing.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Blaubaer

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:11 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:53 pm
Stuart-JW wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:45 pm
Having a constant slow speed seems like it might be a good option to try.
I don't have it here, so I'm going off memory. There may be some mistakes.

in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/ you should see a file named 'def_pwm'. That contains the default PWM value that's loaded as soon at the HAT gets power.

Write a '50' into there with "echo 50 | sudo tee /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/def_pwm".

Next, stop the kernel from taking over control of the fan by putting "disable_poe_fan=1" into config.txt. Shut down, remove power, power back on, and it should be at a constant slow speed.

When I am back in the office, I can give instructions on how to adjust what happens and at which temperatures.
Hello,

I tried to follow your instruction above but unfortunately I do not have permissions to write to /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/def_pwm (besides that there is only /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/def_pwm1 that I am not allowed to write to… How can I fix this and setup a constant fan speed?

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”