Geezon

2.2 inch LCD panels for pico projector

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi all,

So this is not strictly about the pi itself, I recently purchased a cheap pico projector to fiddle with.
It comes with a 2.2 inch LCD panel that has a resolution of 320x240 and I was curious if it would be possible to swap this out for a panel with a higher resolution?

I've taken a look around but beyond whatever Google returns I'm not sure where to look for a panel of this type. Either I'm just searching wrong or it is notoriously difficult to find such an item.
It seems that they are only produced with the low resolution, but I figured someone here may know of a source where I could find something with a little higher fidelity.

If not then that's fine, I'm not expecting much, but if someone could point me in the right direction I'd be forever grateful :D

DirkS

Re: 2.2 inch LCD panels for pico projector

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Can you post a link for the device?

Geezon

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:33 pm

It's this one;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0725555YD

Super generic, the same one exists on Amazon under many other brands.

The Traveler

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:40 pm

I was curious if it would be possible to swap this out for a panel with a higher resolution?
Sure. Just take it all apart, analyze the circuitry and solid state components and have a go at it (that's the "fiddle with" part). Not saying it would work, but you'd have learned something ... That's pretty much how most of us did it to begin with.

Odds are it won't support any higher resolution than it already has without extensive modifications, if at all.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

Geezon

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:16 pm

The Traveler wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:40 pm
Just take it all apart, analyze the circuitry and solid state components and have a go at it
I did? (images) It comes apart quite readily, the LCD has a (I assume) typical flat flex cable. Literally the easiest part to remove, hence why I thought I may be able to replace it. I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at... I'm looking to replace one loose component, and if it won't output above 320x240 anyway then I'd find out the hard way and move on? If there isn't a panel available then I'm not going to touch the board, but if there is then that's the starting point, no? One step at a time...

Are you assuming any of it is proprietary hardware?
Because it cost pennies, and every non-brand you've never heard of has their name on it as 'theirs'.
None of it is bespoke, so I figured I'd ask the question if I can swap out a generic part for another.
There's no way that the screen was manufactured specifically for this projector. I thought maybe of all the panel vendors, maybe one has what I'm looking for.

Casio made one in 2004.
https://gizmodo.com/021725/casios-22-inch-vga-screen
Seems that no one has since.

And if there are any but they don't work/fit then that's okay too. I bought it to break it, so win/win in either case, it still works with its ridiculous resolution.

The Traveler

Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:07 pm

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at...
Well, two things. Just having a bit of sport with you. After all, you're looking for hardware advice for a device that has nothing to do with a RPi in the first place in the RPi forums.
I'm looking to replace one loose component, and if it won't output above 320x240 anyway then I'd find out the hard way and move on?
Yep. I suspect that being built as an inexpensive device, and despite having a "typical" ribbon cable and "generic" lcd, it won't operate above it's 320x200 resolution. Without having more information about the driver ICs and knowing their capabilities, direct experimentation is the only sure way to know sometimes.
I bought it to break it, so win/win in either case, it still works with its ridiculous resolution.
There you go.
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

Geezon

Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 pm

I appreciate the time you're taking to respond, but I'm not asking for advice.
I'm asking;
  • does such a panel exist?
  • if so, do you know where I can find it?
The reason I thought to ask here is because the projector itself is kind of irrelevant, I just wanted to know if anyone knows of somewhere to source the panel if possible. And small screens seem rather relevant to the pi... (The PiHut has an entire category)
'Hardware and peripherals' > 'Add-ons' doesn't seem inappropriate for the topic of an LCD panel, the application of it doesn't matter. But a little insight to what I was looking for is useful; a panel mounted to its driver board would be no good for example, doubt I could remove it without damaging it.

It's fair enough to just say no, you're not aware of any. We've not moved anywhere with this.
I'll take a "no", I'm not expecting miracles.

In fact, we can end this here.
I didn't intend for such a long delay on the initial response, I guess the time's passed where anything useful that could have come up would be present already.

Thanks for your time.

The Traveler

Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:14 pm

I appreciate the time you're taking to respond, but I'm not asking for advice.
I'm happy to try and help, but advice is all I can give you.
I'm asking;
does such a panel exist?
if so, do you know where I can find it?
1.Perhaps. You want an answer without providing critical information. While it may seem something useful for a RPi, one still needs to know more specifics than you've provided.
2.If you Google for "2.2 inch lcd panel" you'll hit over 5,000,000 citations. Perhaps something would work but not without knowing more about the circuitry that is needed to drive it.

Cheers and best of luck.

Return to “Off topic discussion”