beampoweramp

Does Raspberry Pi work with 4G LTE USB modems?

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:11 pm

There are hundreds of these little devices on the market.
Would be cool to connect to a Raspberry Pi beyond the reach of Bluetooth or WiFi.
Does anyone in the Raspberry Pi community have a recommendation for what type of LTE USB modems do indeed work with a Raspberry Pi?
And with which model/software rev of Pi?
A little tutorial on installation would be helpful.
Thank you.

topguy

Re: Does Raspberry Pi work with 4G LTE USB modems?

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:13 pm

The Raspberry Pi is just another Linux computer, so your question should really be "Do Linux work with USB Modems ?".

The answer is "yes", but how well it works depends on the modem in question. Like you said there are hundreds of different models to choose from, and some need very special drivers and some might only work with Windows but there are many many devices that can work well with Linux and the Raspberry Pi.

Its very difficult to point to a single guide that would be helpful and not just confusing at this stage.
( As an example, I'll just post this https://www.thefanclub.co.za/how-to/how ... and-wvdial which is basically a well written guide that would either be well suited or completely useless depending on what modem you buy in the end. )

Find a model that is easily available for you and works with your network provider, then google the name of that model + Linux + Raspberry pi. You will then probably find relevant information. Huawei have a few models that people can find for a nice price and usually works good.

And for choice of OS we always recommend the newest Raspbian. ( Which means that any guide meant for Debian Linux should also work. )

All model of Raspberry Pi will work, but its easier to work with one of the models with 4 USB ports. A PiZero works just as well but you would probably need an external USB-hub.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:05 pm

beampoweramp wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:11 pm
There are hundreds of these little devices on the market.
Would be cool to connect to a Raspberry Pi beyond the reach of Bluetooth or WiFi.
Does anyone in the Raspberry Pi community have a recommendation for what type of LTE USB modems do indeed work with a Raspberry Pi?
And with which model/software rev of Pi?
A little tutorial on installation would be helpful.
Thank you.

I reside in UK and at present only 3G / 4G is offered by Service Providers.

I have used a Portable 3G / 4G Huawei Modem and when connected via data / charge USB Cable was seen as an incoming internet connection, no configuration in Raspbian was required.
Adieu

beampoweramp

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:51 pm

I went ahead and did a test with a brand new Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspbian Stretch 9.3.
I plugged in a Huawei E3372h-510 with a T-Mobile SIM card.
Everything worked great right out of the box.
I did not have to install any supplemental software.
Thank you Raspberry Pi.
:D

termic

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:12 pm

I tested the raspberry Zero W with stretch (full and lite) with the ATT modem for iot LTE-M and it works great connecting the modem to the USB port the modem force the network communication thru it. The only problem I have found is that the raspberry minimum data communication, without your application doing nothing, only the OS idle uses 1 MB every 4 hours and the ATT rate is $ 1.50 for 1MB/month (or the time you want) so you end paying $1.5 every 4 hours and your application is not running (1MB in wi-fi is negligible). I haven't found the way to reduce the data rate from Stretch, I have shootdown some services but I think is the clock synchronising what keeps the network data flowing. If I can't get to stop all the network activity in idle it will not be useful. Next step will be to block all the ports except the one I am using.

Return to “Add-ons”