Gert van Loo

Re: No more Gert... kits

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:35 pm

"I very much doubt they can sell populated boards cheaper than kits,"

Not true. There are a number of reason why ready boards may be cheaper.
The first argument is 'labour'.
There is also work in making the kits. In fact making the kits is much more expensive as there are no 'kit packing' machines.
All the SMDs in the kits have to be cut into tiny strips of the right amount and then put in a bag which need to be labeled and put in a box.
In that time a robot assembly machine can mount ten time that number of components!

Then there are some savings to be made:
- The sockets can go.
- The in-line resistors can become SMD (20x cheaper!)
- The through hole LEDs can become SMD (2x cheaper)

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:39 pm

poing wrote:Only thing that is 'sure' is that I'm not a native English speaker, so well...
In that case congratulations, your written English is excellent. I had absolutely no idea you were a non-native. :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:01 pm

poing wrote:
alexeames wrote: What makes you so sure they have? It could well be a communication issue.

If indeed they have decided to sell populated boards it's more likely to be either because they'll be able to produce them cheaper than kits or because they've now established that there's sufficient demand to justify it?
In my small world 'maybe' is far removed from 'so sure', but maybe (so sure ;) ) that's just me :?

I very much doubt they can sell populated boards cheaper than kits, for they'd need quite some extra work, demand issue maybe. Or they decided the SMD elements were too hard to solder by the average schoolkid/geek.
Actually, if you take in to account the packaging costs and time to package, plus all the other cruft associated with handling all those parts, I can easily see a populated board being no more expensive than a kit. I have no knowledge of prices at all - just my guess.

I believe Gert is expecting a call with Farnell on Monday, so you will have to wait until them for information from the horses mouth!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

N_A_B

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Gert van Loo wrote: - The in-line resistors can become SMD (20x cheaper!)
- The through hole LEDs can become SMD (2x cheaper)
I have to admit that I wasn't really looking forward to soldering up the SMD bits - the first ones I've ever done - but actually, it was surprisingly easy. Now I'd quite happily hand solder resistors and LEDs as well!

N.

sjrapid

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:47 pm

I just went to the Farnell site and found this:

What's going on? Part of the point of this is that it is a kit. I don't want to order a complete board, I want to solder it up myself.

Steve

jamesh

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:30 am

sjrapid wrote:I just went to the Farnell site and found this:

What's going on? Part of the point of this is that it is a kit. I don't want to order a complete board, I want to solder it up myself.

Steve
Er, did you read the rest of this thread?
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Pieter-Jan5000

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:31 am

Wow this sucks! I really like the idea of unsoldered boards. Bummer!
http://www.pieter-jan.com/

Pantarhei

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:02 am

poing

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:33 am

Pantarhei wrote:Pieter-Jan, have a look at: http://nl.farnell.com/element14/gertbom ... =gertboard
Strange, Yesterday that (Dutch) page said 'No longer stocked' and now they're free to order. Besides I have one on order there for two month, so why are they not shipping it?

dgmartin

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:01 am

Thanks everyone for the info below. It helps explain what Farnell have just told me:

"Thank you for your enquiry. Unfortunately we are not taking any new orders for the Gertboard at present as this one is going discontinued. We have a new Gertboard that will be launched shortly updates on this will be available through the element14 website."

"New" sounds like "pre-assembled", from what I read below.

panik

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:36 pm

Ok, so I received a 'pro forma invoice' from Farnell (NL) today. By email. I paid Tandy 43 euros (35 pounds) by creditcard, and Farnell wants 73 euros (60 ex VAT because of the extra stuff for the 50 euros minimum). If I make an urgent bank transaction by phone, and send proof (screenshot) of the payment, Farnell can send today, so I'll receive the Gertboard 'the next day'. Stock is back at 185. I can only guess what it costs to make a bank transaction by phone. A regular transaction takes at least 3 days if I'm lucky.

If I was smarter with the stuff I ordered extra, I'd still have to pay at least 50 euros + 21% VAT = 61 euros. But that's still 15 euros worth of stuff I really don't need.

Sorry Gert. I know you have an exclusive deal with Farnell, and I'm sure everyone's trying hard to make it work, but this is just too much hassle. If this was 1985, I'd be ok with the procedure, but it's 2012. I'll simply wait for the package from Tandy, and send Farnell a polite email that I want to cancel the order.

sjrapid

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:47 pm

jamesh wrote:
sjrapid wrote:I just went to the Farnell site and found this:

Steve
Er, did you read the rest of this thread?
Yes, I read the thread, which seems to contain lots of speculation and few facts about what Farnell are or are not doing.. I was looking for a more authoritative statement from Gert, or the Foundation.

FWIW Farnell UK's web site now says '0 Product results found for “gertbom”' and '0 Product results found for “gertboard”'.

An 'official' update would be helpful. On 16 Oct there was a big splash on the blog saying that the boards were available. Farnell's website seems to say that they are now not.

Best regards

Steve J

jamesh

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Please don't blame/have a go at Gert for others inadequacies. He is not a happy bunny about all this, and is STILL waiting for responses to his enquires about WTH is going on.

panik

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:55 pm

jamesh wrote:Please don't blame/have a go at Gert for others inadequacies. He is not a happy bunny about all this, and is STILL waiting for responses to his enquires about WTH is going on.
I don't see anyone 'blame/have a go at' Gert in this topic, and I'm sure we all know that Gert isn't to blame for any of this.

sjrapid

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:06 pm

jamesh wrote:Please don't blame/have a go at Gert for others inadequacies. He is not a happy bunny about all this, and is STILL waiting for responses to his enquires about WTH is going on.
Thanks James

I am not at all having a go at Gert, and I appreciate the clear update. I wish him luck in getting a speedy, sensible response from Farnell.

Best regards

Steve J

fos

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:47 pm

I supposedly have one that has been shipped from Farnell. I'm still waiting.

I for one would be happy to purchase a bare board and find the parts myself here in the states.

I sure hope this works out. The Gertboard is the best breakout board I have seen.

fos

PS. No blame to Gert. I don't believe any of this is his fault. Thanks to his engineering excellence, we will have the Gertboard some day.
https://faroutscience.com

MuddyDogs

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:46 pm

The plot thickens. If you look at the UK Farnell site now, they've completely removed any reference to the Gertboard. If you search you get no hits at all apart from results in the community. If you look around the RaspberryPi parts of the website there is no mention of the Gertboard at all.

Farnell really need to work on their communication skills :D

MuddyDogs

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Absolutely not! If this is frustrating for us, imagine what it must be like for Gert :( .

I can't believe Farnell haven't spoken to him.

Jamie

Gert van Loo

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Spoke to Farnell UK today. They were adamant that there are no plans to stop shipping Gertboards.
I still am waiting for an official update from Newark but for now we assume it is problem with the database.

tenochtitlanuk

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Their site currently claiming 167 available for next day delivery- but if you try to order it claims no price found....
Sorry you're getting the runaround, Gert. It's a great design & I can wait....

sjrapid

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:23 am

Gert van Loo wrote:Spoke to Farnell UK today. They were adamant that there are no plans to stop shipping Gertboards.
I still am waiting for an official update from Newark but for now we assume it is problem with the database.
I just got the same issue as the previous poster. (Stock shown, but 'no price' error when trying to order). I just called Farbell on 08447 111111 and was told emphatically that the Gertboard is no-longer stocked, that the stock they have is for back orders only, and that there will be a new version in four to six weeks, and what is on the website is being shown in error.

I wish Gert every success in getting Farnell to sort this out.

jamesh

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25 am

sjrapid wrote: I wish Gert every success in getting Farnell to sort this out.
It's like herding cats. Truly stunning.

piglet

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:25 am

uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/...

"0 Product results found for “gertboard”".

Very happy at the thought there might be a populated board to buy sometime soon.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:32 am

We're all getting a masterclass in PR and corporate communications here. Unreal

Code: Select all

if Farnell_decision == pre_built_version:
    demand = high
    that = a_good_thing
    education_market = happier_bunnies
    ultimate_outcome = good
    communications < satisfactory
else:
    Farnell_customer_service = wrong
    communications < satisfactory
    if not kit_version:
        everybody = gutted
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

jamjamjammie

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:40 am

I have received my gertboard (which I ordered months ago) this morning. The dispatch notice has 'Farnell will no longer carry the above item once stocks are exhausted. Please contact sales for possible alternatives'.

Seems a little strange how they have decided to proceed with whatever changes they are making without letting the foundation or Gert know first!

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”