kitty_hawk

best wifi dongle for raspberry pi..<< OS.Raspbian “wheezy”>>

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:25 am

Hi

i am trying to install a dongle, i would like to know which dongle would be good to purchase for raspberry pi with the Raspbian “wheezy” OS ??

I have a separate USB dock for keyboard and mouse, i know the power issues too so i was hoping if anyone could help me with the selection of the dongle.

cupcake

Re: best wifi dongle for raspberry pi..<< OS.Raspbian “wheez

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:19 pm

There should be tons of information on this already, both here and in the wiki.

That said, I'm very happy with my choice of TP Link TL-WN722N. It does require a powered HUB, though.

redhawk

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:42 pm

The early PI boards came with polyfuses at each USB port thus limiting the current to about 100mA max which is okay for Flash drives and keyboards but not for Wifi dongles.
Later revisions of the PI had the polyfuses removed however if you still have the little green slabs I would recommend you solder a wire link across or use a powered USB hub.

There are many wifi dongles which work on the PI but none are plug and play you still need to do a bit of work to get them working correctly.
If you're planning on using a distro of XBMC then you should check what wifi dongles are supported and base your purchase on the information.
I'm currently using the Virgin Media dongle (WNDA3200) it was initially a pain to install and setup but works like a charm now it's only a pity it's unsupported with OpenELEC unlike Raspbian.

Richard S.

kitty_hawk

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:25 am

guys thanks for the info......i got the power hub, i already have a cisco AE2500 dual band adapter, but it does not seem to have the chip ...so now i am looking for a small and easy to install one...i can fix the kernel issue, with help from different websites. I am a new user in Linux, and in a learning process...

i think i will go with this one though
http://www.amazon.com/AirLink101-AWLL50 ... tag=ib1-20

Thanks everyone for ur time and support !! :D
With Care
Mr.Hawk

xQx

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:48 am

If you're in Australia, Buy Raspberry Pi sell a wireless dongle that doesn't need a powered HUB specifically for the Pi. http://www.buyraspberrypi.com.au/raspbe ... ss-dongle/

gelfling6
Location: Canton, Connecticut, USA, Planet Earth, SOL-3, Milkyway Galaxy, 3rd star on the left...

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:00 pm

*RED-ALERT! NEWBIE DETECTED!* :lol: Yep, just got mine yesterday, and already scouting for info & hardware. If I read the posts right, basically Wheezy already has a good assortment of base WiFi drivers built-in, so plugging in one of the mini dongles should be recognized and pre-load. (as long as it doesn't overload the fuse for the USB port, unless using a powered USB hub.).. I'm also tinkering with another port, a version of UBUNTU called Ultimate Edition, on both desktop & laptop, which seemed to already have plenty of drivers for the internal & external WiFi devices. My focus, is working on a personal robot project, using the Pi as a central controller, while using a simple E-Reader that has a built-in WiFi & browser, as the control pad...

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”