mbbs1024

Can this LCD display be used on RPI ?

Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi,

I recovered some 3.8 inch LCD displays from test equipment, and I wonder if and how these can be used on Raspberry Pi.
Herewith a link to the datasheet of the display
https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... dophyeUR1A

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Can this LCD display be used on RPI ?

Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:38 pm

these are simple bare LCD panels, so they need a lot of extra electronics, electronics that creates a RAM memory called a "frame buffer" which it can use to drive the LCD panel, then you also need more electronics so that your driving computer can write into the frame buffer, copying from its own internal RAM to the eternal frame buffer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framebuffer
systems that use such LCD panels have all that electronics built into them.

So, in my opinion the answer is NO, but I have seen examples where some people have managed to find some ready made electronics to do this, but it's a big challenge to find such a device, so normally it easier and cheaper to find a more suitable solution.
There are dozens of other similar threads here, just search for LCD.

mbbs1024

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:35 pm

OK, thx for your quick reply.

Bad luck, it would be nice if I could use the LCD panels for a Raspberry Pi power monitor project,
but as I saved these test devices from the bin at work, and already used the rechargeable batteries,
I guess the rest will go back into the bin again.

I work in a lab, and before things are scrapped, we put them in a container for a week or two, so everyone who is interested
in some stuff can take what he wants from this container.

saper_2

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry, that my replay don't follow one thought - I have parallel thought process :P , so here is some of my thoughts about yours display:

I gave a quick look at the DS - those displays need constant refresh so directly driving it from Rpi won't work.. You can use small MCU with CortexMx core as controller (stm32f/LPC/etc... - lot of work, and you have to keep the timings and signals right )...

But to me it look like, the display could be interfaced with some SED1375 (now they called S1D137xx) or some better chip as controller, check where the display is connected on mainboard if it goes straight to CPU then best option would be getting something like SED1375 (new name: S1D13705), the only issue is to get S1D13705 now (they are hard to get :| ) - this will cost you: a lot of time and some cash too, and you might get nothing in result.

Look at http://vdc.epson.com/index.php?option=c ... 44&Itemid= - there are Epson controllers for LCDs listed with docs, maybe you'll find something that could drive your lcd.

You'd be at home :) , if display signals go to some controller (like S1D137xxx/SED1375) then you'll just need to desolder the controller (and it's RAM), and build your own board for it - of course if you'll get a datasheet for the controller.

-- Those are my thoughts about the display :) , in anyway you'll have to spend a lot of time on this and have good electronic knowledge and enough experience too, to get this display(s) working.

Return to “Add-ons”