gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Anybody interested in talking direct! to IDE/SATA?

Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:53 am

Probably best to look at the sources in the linux kernel

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... 2835_smi.c
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

fanoush

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:42 am

Thanks a lot but that's not the point.

The point is that there is this 15 page PDF I have here, which may be more readable and helpful to people not fluent in linux kernel C code, and it got lost somewhere. So what happened with the pull request Gert mentioned? Is there something wrong with the pdf? Can I upload it somewhere?

I also found it being referenced here https://ultibo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538#p5967 but the link does not work of course since gert removed his documentation fork.

jamesh

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:54 am

fanoush wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:42 am
Thanks a lot but that's not the point.

The point is that there is this 15 page PDF I have here, which may be more readable and helpful to people not fluent in linux kernel C code, and it got lost somewhere. So what happened with the pull request Gert mentioned? Is there something wrong with the pdf? Can I upload it somewhere?

I also found it being referenced here https://ultibo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538#p5967 but the link does not work of course since gert removed his documentation fork.
Not sure, but I think that document has never been officially released by Broadcom. Which makes publishing it problematic for us.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

fanoush

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:22 pm

Oh, I see. I've re-read what Gert wrote previously here https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 5#p1239245
and it looks like the status is indeed a bit unclear.

BEB

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:51 pm

For those still interested in this project, I have started to work on a backplane bus concept for the Raspberry Pi (called RasPiBus or RPB in short). The RPB allows up to four expansion boards to be connected on the GPIO using a high bandwidth parallel bus (with an I/O addressing range of 256 bytes). For now, I use a parallel GPIO based communication system which provides 3MB/s bandwidth (yes, 3 megabytes per second not mega bits ;) ). Using SMI, I am able to go over 6MB/s (but SMI is still at prototyping stage, since its implementation is very hard because there is no documentation available except source code and Gert Van Loo's work)

I also use this concept to interface the RPi with a Terasic DE0 Nano FPGA board, acting as a coprocessor for the RPi.

My plans are to publish source code and protocol specifications as soon as I will have a stable release.

BEB

Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:50 pm

After some problems, I have been able to compile the original source code from Gert on my 3B+.

First of all, I have found an issue in the original code which prevents it to run on the 3B+

Code: Select all

#define BCM2708_PERI_BASE        0x20000000
must be replaced by

#define BCM2708_PERI_BASE         0x3F000000
to work on the 3B+

Following code

.    for (TestCount=0; TestCount<10000000; TestCount++)
    {
        if (smi_direct_write(0, TestCount, 0)==0)
        {
            fprintf (stderr, "smi_direct_write timed out...\n");
        }
    }
shows a transfer rate of 1.5MB/s (for an 8 bits bus, so double if setup_smi() uses SMI_RW_WID16)

smi_write_block() and smi_read_block() functions provide better data rate, as bytes are transferred in bursts with exact timing programmed in setup_smi(). With 168ns for nWE pulse width, 168ns for nWE HOLD and 72ns for nWE SETUP, this gives a data rate of 2.4MB/s during bursts (I see an idle period of around 1 us between each call, coming from the preparation code in the function.

I have checked that nWE and nCS are exactly the same as programmed in the timing register, so I think it can be safely expected that higher data rates can be achieved with narrower pulses (168ns is quite a large value for modern components. Smaller values can be used safely with 3.3V FPGA)

mikronauts

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:10 pm

if you can make a pointer for the smi window base address, it should be much faster than using a kernel function for each access
BEB wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:50 pm
After some problems, I have been able to compile the original source code from Gert on my 3B+.

First of all, I have found an issue in the original code which prevents it to run on the 3B+

#define BCM2708_PERI_BASE        0x20000000
must be replaced by

#define BCM2708_PERI_BASE         0x3F000000
to work on the 3B+

Following code

.    for (TestCount=0; TestCount<10000000; TestCount++)
    {
        if (smi_direct_write(0, TestCount, 0)==0)
        {
            fprintf (stderr, "smi_direct_write timed out...\n");
        }
    }
shows a transfer rate of 1.5MB/s (for an 8 bits bus, so double if setup_smi() uses SMI_RW_WID16)

smi_write_block() and smi_read_block() functions provide better data rate, as bytes are transferred in bursts with exact timing programmed in setup_smi(). With 168ns for nWE pulse width, 168ns for nWE HOLD and 72ns for nWE SETUP, this gives a data rate of 2.4MB/s during bursts (I see an idle period of around 1 us between each call, coming from the preparation code in the function.

I have checked that nWE and nCS are exactly the same as programmed in the timing register, so I think it can be safely expected that higher data rates can be achieved with narrower pulses (168ns is quite a large value for modern components. Smaller values can be used safely with 3.3V FPGA)
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”