Sparks135

Re: Trying to install real time clock

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:49 pm

My next project is this http://wiki.52pi.com/index.php?title=Po ... oldid=2207 If you look at the instructions the first is to modify Boot Config txt file. I guess I can do it in the Pi instead of removing the card from the Pi. The part that isn't mentioned: Do I install the expansion board before or after the complete installation. I don't think it would matter, but I can be wrong. What do you all think?

DougieLawson

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Just open an LXTerminal window and use sudo nano /boot/config.txt to add those three lines to the bottom of that file. Then follow the rest of the script on that page to get the software needed to drive your power controller card.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Sparks135

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:15 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Just open an LXTerminal window and use sudo nano /boot/config.txt to add those three lines to the bottom of that file. Then follow the rest of the script on that page to get the software needed to drive your power controller card.
Do I install the card before the software, or after? That isn't mentioned, or at least I can't find it.

DougieLawson

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:17 pm

You can do the software stuff to the point where you'd need to reboot. Use sudo poweroff to shutdown. Pull the power. Mount the new hardware on the header pins. Move the power connector to the new hardware card and power everything up.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Sparks135

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:24 pm

DougieLawson wrote:You can do the software stuff to the point where you'd need to reboot. Use sudo poweroff to shutdown. Pull the power. Mount the new hardware on the header pins. Move the power connector to the new hardware card and power everything up.
Sounds like a plan, tuesday it arrives and I will do it then. I bought the 7" Official screen, and the Official 7" case, and the one thing I don't like is that the Pi has to be fully removed to get to the card. You would think they would have a cut out, but I guess they were afraid to weaken the area where the VESA mount goes. The case is real nice can mount on the wall or using VESA holes and has a set of hinges so if you want a real compact mount under a cabinet you can.

I tried the MatchBox on screen keyboard and it has major problems. Many people reporting problems. I guess there isn't another choice. But I will search. Thanks for the assistance. I was pulling my hair out, trying to figure where I went wrong.

DougieLawson

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:53 pm

Matchbox is OK until you run PCManFM which then loops taking 100% of an engine and making your RPi run hot. You've still got 300% of your CPU available because the loop is restricted to one engine only.

Sparks135

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:40 am

DougieLawson wrote:Matchbox is OK until you run PCManFM which then loops taking 100% of an engine and making your RPi run hot. You've still got 300% of your CPU available because the loop is restricted to one engine only.
Is there an alternative to Machbox?

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:12 am

Sparks135 wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Matchbox is OK until you run PCManFM which then loops taking 100% of an engine and making your RPi run hot. You've still got 300% of your CPU available because the loop is restricted to one engine only.
Not that I've found. I've got a USB wireless keyboard connected to my RPi with the touch screen.
A better question may be, "Is there an alternative to PCManFM?".

Sparks135

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:33 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Sparks135 wrote:
Not that I've found. I've got a USB wireless keyboard connected to my RPi with the touch screen.
A better question may be, "Is there an alternative to PCManFM?".
I read on this forum, that there is another keyboard, but it has to be compiled. If I find it I will let you know.

Sparks135

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:38 am

Here, is the one I am talking about. if you can figure it out let me know how to install.
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=14719&p=1137843#p1137843

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:18 pm

Sparks135 wrote:Here, is the one I am talking about. if you can figure it out let me know how to install.
Sorry, I don't know how to install that and don't have enough time to look deeper.

Sparks135

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:19 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sparks135 wrote:Here, is the one I am talking about. if you can figure it out let me know how to install.
Sorry, I don't know how to install that and don't have enough time to look deeper.
No problem, I will look into it myself.

Sparks135

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:50 pm

The poster put directions now so it is an easy install.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”