wallarug

Re: Gertboard shipping date.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:00 am

mister_wavey wrote:is there a reason everyone eagerly waiting for Farnell hasn't just cancelled and ordered from Tandy instead? I really enjoyed assembling and using mine. Why would you wait?
Others don't have such a privilege. We live in countries that Tandy DO NOT ship to...otherwise I would...This is ridiculous.

mongopi

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:26 pm

I live in the US, and can only order from Newark/Element 14 which only gets their GertBoards from Farnell. I emailed Tandy asking if they shipped to the US and the answer was no.

A reliable answer would be sufficient for me. I have been given four different dates, all of which have passed.

Perius

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:24 pm

mister_wavey wrote:is there a reason everyone eagerly waiting for Farnell hasn't just cancelled and ordered from Tandy instead? I really enjoyed assembling and using mine. Why would you wait?
I will the second they start shipping to Norway.
They ship to Denmark and Sweden though. Guess it's a EU thing?

Tandy

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:38 am

Perius wrote:I will the second they start shipping to Norway.
They ship to Denmark and Sweden though. Guess it's a EU thing?
Tandy only ship to the following destinations "United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, The Netherlands, Spain, & Sweden." this is because they are all part of the EU and there are reasonably priced and speedy delivery services from the UK to these destinations due to their proximity to the UK. Being within the EU economic area means that when we send a package it will be delivered to the customer without any taxes, duties or handling charges being applied by the delivery service.

That is not to say we won't add further destinations in the future but for now that is all we can reasonably manage and still maintain a level of service that we would like to provide and customers expect.
Tandy - The home of electronics - www.tandyonline.co.uk

RichKavanagh

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Does anyone know of a place that has (current!) UK stock?

Tandy's site is a bit misleading, as on this page http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/gertboard-deluxe-kit.html it says, "Availability: In stock" - yet the second you add it to your basket you're greeted with a message saying, "This product is not available in the requested quantity. 1 of the items will be backordered."

Any pointers to UK stock would be very welcomed, I'm not greedy, I only want one :)

RichKavanagh

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Or if Tandy could offer an estimated shipping date, that'd be great too. I'm a bit reluctant to place an order without knowing roughly when it might ship. Sure it could be as soon as next week (which would be great!) but then again it could be next year ;)

Pointers welcome :)

simplesi

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:09 pm

The ONLY place to get them anytime soon is Tandy.

From what your saying, it sounds more like a stock control/website computer glitch as Tandy have taken great pains in the past not to be labelled as badly as other RPi accessory suppliers who don't maintain accurate info.

Simon
PS And since its Sunday night, its prob not going to be fixed until tomorrow :)
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

RichKavanagh

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll be taking my debit card to work with me tomorrow as hopefully you're right and I'll be able to place my order asap :)

SN

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:18 pm

RichKavanagh wrote:Does anyone know of a place that has (current!) UK stock?

Tandy's site is a bit misleading, as on this page http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/gertboard-deluxe-kit.html it says, "Availability: In stock" - yet the second you add it to your basket you're greeted with a message saying, "This product is not available in the requested quantity. 1 of the items will be backordered."

Any pointers to UK stock would be very welcomed, I'm not greedy, I only want one :)
They must have just run out then because I ordered mine on their website at around 9pm on Sunday 30th September (last Sunday), got an order confirmation email at 10am the following day Monday, a shipment email at 8pm later that day and it plopped through my letter box on Thursday 4th October (it will be days/weeks before I get a led to flash or motor to move mind...)
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

wallarug

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:47 pm

@Jamesh said that they would ship "...before the end of September" but I just asked Element14 and they told me 73 days which is somewhere in December.

They have being saying 73 days for the past 3 months. What is going on?

simplesi

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm

The basic "problem" is that the whole RPi product ecosystem is so very low margins (Except when selling things like cases for £10 :) ) so no major electronic retailer is going to devote anything more than the absolute minimum amount of effort in selling/delivering them :(

Unfortunately, this is matched on our side of things with the "i want these new toys NOW" attitude that we all have :(

If you had a multi-million pound business and 1 product (on which you made peanuts) had a supply issue - would you try very hard to do something about it?

These big firms are dealing with big orders from big people - problems with us little people can just be ignored without any impact on their bottom line or their reputation with their main customers.

All we can do, is move fast and quick when someone like Tandy (or CPC - the baby arm of Farnell) have stock of something we want.

JMO :)

Simon
PS And the person I feel bad for is Gert -its his project with his name on it :(

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:14 pm

simplesi wrote:PS And the person I feel bad for is Gert -its his project with his name on it :(
It's a very good product and well worth waiting for. I think mine's going to hit the classroom this week. Lucky Y5s might be one of the first school classes in the world to get a Gertboard demo. :lol:
(Temperature sensor and hair dryer at the ready. Plus motor, flag and LEDs obviously :D )
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

simplesi

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm

Lucky Y5s might be one of the first school classes in the world to get a Gertboard demo.
Y5 - Gertboard???? :)

Simon

Gert van Loo

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:46 pm

I am in contact with Farnell about the shipping date.
They keep giving me dates which slip into the future.
Last statement is that shipping will start middle of next week.
(Or if you read this on Monday, this week).
I really do hope so! There are three authors out there with books that use the
Gertboard as example for I/O. The books are out but the board not yet.

wallarug

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:42 am

Gert van Loo wrote:I am in contact with Farnell about the shipping date.
They keep giving me dates which slip into the future.
Last statement is that shipping will start middle of next week.
(Or if you read this on Monday, this week).
I really do hope so! There are three authors out there with books that use the
Gertboard as example for I/O. The books are out but the board not yet.
Thanks Gert! :D

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:18 am

simplesi wrote:
Lucky Y5s might be one of the first school classes in the world to get a Gertboard demo.
Y5 - Gertboard???? :)
I'll let them hold the hair dryer. :lol: They won't be wiring it up. :D

Tandy

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:29 am

RichKavanagh wrote:Tandy's site is a bit misleading, as on this page http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/gertboard-deluxe-kit.html it says, "Availability: In stock" - yet the second you add it to your basket you're greeted with a message saying, "This product is not available in the requested quantity. 1 of the items will be backordered."
It is a bit confusing the way the stock system works. Because a Gertboard Kit is made up of many components it shows as in stock because all of the components are in stock, but when the number of kits packed, ready to ship drops to zero it shows as a back order to allow for the time it takes to assemble all the components in to a kit. Should any component go out of stock then the web site will list the kit as out of stock.

The stock level of kits has been updated this morning so they are no longer showing as a backorder. If however they do run out and you are shown a backorder message, it just means that there will be a day or two delay while more components are assembled in to kits.
Tandy - The home of electronics - www.tandyonline.co.uk

mongopi

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Thanks Gert. As I mentioned, just a solid date would be good for me......

RichKavanagh

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Tandy wrote:The stock level of kits has been updated this morning so they are no longer showing as a backorder.
Order placed today, thanks very much :D

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Just got an email from Farnell:

Subject: Your Farnell Order Has Been Shipped. Your Reference: GERTBOARD :D

So assuming it's here tomorrow, that's bang on the original shipping estimate I was given (which was week commencing 8/Oct/2012). Not much to complain about really. :lol:

exartemarte

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:14 pm

alexeames wrote:So assuming it's here tomorrow, that's bang on the original shipping estimate I was given (which was week commencing 8/Oct/2012). Not much to complain about really. :lol:
Good for them. It was a bit of a wait, and there has been speculation as to why Tandy had kits when Farnell didn't, but Farnell have been as good as their word. They do seem to know what they're doing.

stanch

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:00 pm

So assuming it's here tomorrow, that's bang on the original shipping estimate I was given (which was week commencing 8/Oct/2012). Not much to complain about really. :lol:[/quote]

Hmm.. I have the same shipping estimate date - no email yet tho' .... <yawn>

wallarug

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:03 pm

alexeames wrote:Just got an email from Farnell:

So assuming it's here tomorrow, that's bang on the original shipping estimate I was given (which was week commencing 8/Oct/2012). Not much to complain about really. :lol:
What date did you order?

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:24 am

wallarug wrote:
alexeames wrote:Just got an email from Farnell:

What date did you order?
Launch day afternoon - 8th August (I think it was).

zenbikr

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:24 am

Just spoke with Farnell in UK. They received the GERTBOARD shipment from the supplier as of 48 hours ago, or so, and are in process of shipping all backorders now. Mine is expected to ship today.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”