alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Gertboard shipping date.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:39 am

wallarug wrote:
alexeames wrote:Shipping confirmation received today. Wonder if it'll be here thu/fri :mrgreen:
Who from?
Tandy.

I hear the Farnell boards will be shipping towards the end of the month. ;)
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

RaspberryPiBeginners

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:04 am

According to my wife i've got my Gertboard today at home. Picture to follow :)
Click here for my unofficial YouTube Channel > http://goo.gl/oFYBD

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:03 pm

leighbb

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Mine has arrived from Tandy too!

wallarug

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:32 pm

alexeames wrote:According to me, so have I :lol:

http://raspi.tv/2012/gertboard-kit-is-here
Is there any changes in the board design/layout? or is it exactly like in the pictures?

Mortimer

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Mine has arrived in my office mailbox too. I shall take that home with me tonight.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

simplesi

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:59 pm

:) At last :)
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

exartemarte

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Me, too. Those smd resistors do look very tiny! This is going to be an interesting experience...

(I like the way the components are packaged, in numbered bags in assembly order.)

domesday

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Looks like a lot of people are going to be making Gertboards this weekend.

Tweezers are essential for handling the tiny SMD components, might have to raid your wife/girlfriends makeup bag :lol:

Gerts assembly guide PDF has some good info on soldering those components.

I'm thinking of pimping my gertboard with some of these square LEDs if they will fit.

ailwyn

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:10 pm

One of my boards turned up today, will wait with anticipation to see if the other turns up tomorrow, although the jiffy bag would probably have been big enough for both.

Mortimer

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Gert's PDF guide to assembling the board is going to be essential to most if not all people. Although the guide references Element-14/Farnell part numbers, it will be just as useful to people who have bought the kit from Tandy.

The piece of paper in the Tandy kit is useful to help cross reference the parts between the Tandy packaging and the references made in the assembly guide. It would have been even better if the paper also pointed people to the assembly guide, either the E14 one, or one of their own though.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:07 pm

wallarug wrote:Is there any changes in the board design/layout? or is it exactly like in the pictures?
Nope. No changes. It's the 11 March 2012 board - as Tandy said above - they bought the orignal boards from Farnell. We know that Farnell has had the boards a couple of months already. :D

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:10 pm

Mortimer wrote:Gert's PDF guide to assembling the board is going to be essential to most if not all people. Although the guide references Element-14/Farnell part numbers, it will be just as useful to people who have bought the kit from Tandy.

The piece of paper in the Tandy kit is useful to help cross reference the parts between the Tandy packaging and the references made in the assembly guide. It would have been even better if the paper also pointed people to the assembly guide, either the E14 one, or one of their own though.
Don't you think anyone keen enough to buy one at this stage will have downloaded the manual already? :lol:

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:12 pm

domesday wrote:Tweezers are essential for handling the tiny SMD components, might have to raid your wife/girlfriends makeup bag :lol:
I think my wife might have something to say about that if I raid my girlfriend's* tweezers. :?

No, I took the safe path and bought my own a month ago. I may well need some finer gauge solder though.

* joke

Mortimer

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:44 pm

alexeames wrote:Don't you think anyone keen enough to buy one at this stage will have downloaded the manual already? :lol:
That would presume that everyone aware of Raspberry Pi and the Gert Board knows where to look for the PDF. There more RPi forums that just this one, many in foreign languages, are we sure that all those people would know where to look?
--------------

el10t

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:52 pm

I think he was joking.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Mortimer wrote:
alexeames wrote:Don't you think anyone keen enough to buy one at this stage will have downloaded the manual already? :lol:
That would presume that everyone aware of Raspberry Pi and the Gert Board knows where to look for the PDF. There more RPi forums that just this one, many in foreign languages, are we sure that all those people would know where to look?
Well Tandy is monitoring this thread and seems very responsive to me, so I would expect they will either add a link or start hosting the file themselves soon enough.

Mortimer

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:25 pm

It may of course be that since the original guide was prepared by Element-14/Gert that Tandy couldn't simply link to it or provide a copy, and need time to prepare their own document. As you probably rightly point out, people buying these things at this stage are probably going to have the wherewithal to find the relevant information. However, we also know there are some 'inexperienced' early adopters out there too, and they may need all the help and guidance they can get! No offence intended to any such people who may be reading this! ;)
--------------

Tandy

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Mortimer wrote:It may of course be that since the original guide was prepared by Element-14/Gert that Tandy couldn't simply link to it or provide a copy, and need time to prepare their own document.
You are quite correct that Gert's construction guide is obviously his copyright so re-distributing would require his permission, the priority was to get the kits out to people who have been eagarly awaiting them, most of whom have almost certainly downloaded the construction and instruction documents already from the Raspberry Pi Blog announcement.

We will ask Gert for permission to re-distribute the documents and add them to the product description page on our site if he agrees. We are also working on our own construction guide.

One useful tip, when soldering the two rows of pin headers J2 that have jumpers on them place two jumpers on them to keep them parallel when soldering so that the jumpers can be easily installed and removed.
Tandy - The home of electronics - www.tandyonline.co.uk

exartemarte

Credit where it's due

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Given the opprobrium being heaped on other suppliers (mostly RS) in various threads in this forum, I'd just like to offer a (provisional) nod in the direction of Tandy.

Your posts in this thread have been straightforward and informative, and you seem to be delivering on your promises. If you keep this up, and I hope you do, it should go down well with a community in which many are fed up with being messed about and kept in the dark.

A regular customer of the Tandy / Radio Shack stores in the UK during the seventies and eighties, I had no idea that the Tandy name was still trading. The range of stuff on the website looks interesting, the prices seem reasonable and delivery is cheaper than most. I have bookmarked your site and signed up for the newsletter.

xtramural

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Another happy Tandy customer. Gertboard (deluxe version) order placed on 16 September 2012 16:22:10 BST with standard 3-4 day delivery (2nd class Royal Mail) and delivered today.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Mortimer wrote:It may of course be that since the original guide was prepared by Element-14/Gert that Tandy couldn't simply link to it
It might be cheeky, but they could link to it. That doesn't breach anything. They did buy the boards from Farnell after all. (Could this be the next Apple-Samsung head to head?) ;)

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Anyone started building yet? I've done the first 6 SMT resistors and that's enough to realise I need thinner than 1mm solder. :lol: The joints are ok, I think, but pretty, they are not. :o

Mortimer

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:02 pm

Sadly I won't get time to even consider making a start until the weekend. Luckily I will be able to borrow a decent low voltage, temperature controlled iron from work, that has a nice fine tip. My own 25W Antex would probably be overkill.
--------------

exartemarte

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:55 pm

alexeames wrote:[..] and that's enough to realise I need thinner than 1mm solder.
That thought occurred to me when I was looking at some of those components in the bags. I've ordered some 0.4mm solder, and I don't think I'll make a start until it arrives. Obviously I've seen smd components in situ, but I've always regarded those boards as machine-assembled - I've never thought about what it might be like to solder such tiny pieces by hand.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”