wallarug

Gertboard shipping date.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:58 am

Gert,

What is going on? Is the Gertboard going to be shipped anytime soon?

There seems to be an inconstant flow of information. It seems that the element14 site has frozen the shipping times to 73 days (which it has been on for more than 2 weeks). I ordered on the 10th August which was 2 days after it was announced on the Raspberry Pi website. My E14 account currently does not give me a shipping date and says that I am on back-order. I also remember that the promised shipping date was mid September...which is now or very very soon.

All others and I want to know is if there will be a definitive day that the Gertboards will be shipped and if so, what is it?

RaTTuS

Re: Gertboard shipping date.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:05 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:16 pm

There isn't a definitive date. There's been a delay (Gert is most un-chuffed about it, it's out of his hands)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

wallarug

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Another thread due to the lack of response on the others.

two_sheds

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:53 pm

jamesh wrote:There isn't a definitive date. There's been a delay (Gert is most un-chuffed about it, it's out of his hands)
Hi James.

Can you explain what's going on, please?

I've seen nothing from Gert recently - not that I'd really expect him to be apologozing for Farnell's poor communication.

If someone "in the know" could PLEASE tell us what's going on, I'm sure most of us will stop asking these annoying (and unanswered) questions....

wallarug

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:09 am

two_sheds wrote:
jamesh wrote:There isn't a definitive date. There's been a delay (Gert is most un-chuffed about it, it's out of his hands)
Hi James.

I've seen nothing from Gert recently - not that I'd really expect him to be apologozing for Farnell's poor communication.

If someone "in the know" could PLEASE tell us what's going on, I'm sure most of us will stop asking these annoying (and unanswered) questions....
Calling anyone who knows what is going on.

RaspberryPiBeginners

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:37 am

I ordered mine on the 9th of August and always had a delivery date of 10th of October.
Click here for my unofficial YouTube Channel > http://goo.gl/oFYBD

jamesh

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 am

two_sheds wrote:
Hi James.

I'm afraid that although I do know the reason for (some of) the delay, I am unable to comment on it. If I see Gert wandering around the office I'll see if he can write an update, but even he may be limited in what he can say dues to contractual issues.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

wallarug

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:07 pm

jamesh wrote:
two_sheds wrote:
Hi James.

I'm afraid that although I do know the reason for (some of) the delay, I am unable to comment on it. If I see Gert wandering around the office I'll see if he can write an update, but even he may be limited in what he can say dues to contractual issues.
This information should be available to all of your customers who have ordered and paid for the Gertboard.

Please explain the contractual issues that are being experienced.

jamesh

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:19 pm

wallarug wrote:
This information should be available to all of your customers who have ordered and paid for the Gertboard.

Please explain the contractual issues that are being experienced.
What was it about 'not able to talk about this' you didn't understand? Note your contract to buy is with Farnell not with the Foundation here - and have you actually PAID for it yet? Or just ordered?

I have spoken to Gert, one obstacle is out of the way, just some other tidying up to do now.

Mortimer

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:33 pm

It doesn't matter if he or I haven't 'actually' paid yet, the offer was made in the form of a credit/debit card payment. The details of the cards have been given to Farnell, and accepted by them. The contract is complete.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

pegwag

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 pm

The minute I *heard* about version 2 of the Raspberry, I KNEW something was going to knock the GertBoard off schedule. Nothing is ever "just a few changes in ___". That little voice is always chirping "when you are an early adopter. . .you are always in Beta Land. . .". Just the nature of technology engineering?? I think it's a shame that information is not shared - vendors don't talk to each other, they don't talk a lot to us. . . we rely on each other for information, valid or not! oh well //// here we go again
Best to all
Peg

jamesh

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Mortimer wrote:It doesn't matter if he or I haven't 'actually' paid yet, the offer was made in the form of a credit/debit card payment. The details of the cards have been given to Farnell, and accepted by them. The contract is complete.
Is it?

jamesh

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:58 pm

pegwag wrote:The minute I *heard* about version 2 of the Raspberry, I KNEW something was going to knock the GertBoard off schedule. Nothing is ever "just a few changes in ___". That little voice is always chirping "when you are an early adopter. . .you are always in Beta Land. . .". Just the nature of technology engineering?? I think it's a shame that information is not shared - vendors don't talk to each other, they don't talk a lot to us. . . we rely on each other for information, valid or not! oh well //// here we go again
Best to all
Peg
Rev2 and Gertboard are two completely independent items. Delay to the GB was not caused by the Rev2 changes.

markbee

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Cool down guys.

The schematics, the manual, the assembly instructions and video tutorials (!) are all available and online - if you want to build something based on the Gertboard every information is available - for free.
Buffers like 74XX244, drivers like ULN2803A (8-Darlington) or L6203 (DC Motor) or ADC like the MCP3002 are cheap and easily available almost everywhere. And there are even lots of alternative options on the market for every component mentioned before.

There is no black magic with the Gertboard. Just grab your solder iron, some perfboard and start working. It's quite easy.

You need help - just ask. This is a great forum for help.

Or do you really think Gert ist deliberately delaying the board?

campi

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Mortimer wrote:It doesn't matter if he or I haven't 'actually' paid yet, the offer was made in the form of a credit/debit card payment. The details of the cards have been given to Farnell, and accepted by them. The contract is complete.
Your understanding of contractual law is at odds with mine, and I am a recently retired contracts lawyer. The contract hasn't even started yet, and you will find that no monies have been taken from your credit card account.

campi

Mortimer

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:21 pm

So the fact that they have been given my credit card details and could in theory charge me at any time, places them under no obligation whatsoever?

To be honest I am not that bothered. I expect they will ship eventually, I waited long enough for the Raspberry Pi itself after all. I can't help but empathise somewhat with the grievances some people feel towards the way these delays are being communicated.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

pegwag

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Sorry - due to history with Raspi I misunderstood what was happening. I know the two boards are different, I thought changes on one would force changes on the other. Just trying to learn. wrong forum?

two_sheds

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:21 pm

jamesh wrote:
two_sheds wrote:
Hi James.

Ooh - that sounds very intriguing! Not looking to cause any difficulties, just wondering what's going on. From this side of the fence it's hard to see what the issue might be. We could carry on not-knowing but I guess this will just cause more posts/annoyance so if SOMEONE that can legally explain would like to make things clear, it would be MUCH appreciated and save us ALL a lot of GRIEF.

wallarug

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Ooh - that sounds very intriguing! Not looking to cause any difficulties, just wondering what's going on. From this side of the fence it's hard to see what the issue might be. We could carry on not-knowing but I guess this will just cause more posts/annoyance so if SOMEONE that can legally explain would like to make things clear, it would be MUCH appreciated and save us ALL a lot of GRIEF.
We have been asking for information for the past three days. Apparently due to 'contractual issues' the foundation can no tell us what is going on.

Dweeber

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:39 pm

wallarug wrote:
We have been asking for information for the past three days. Apparently due to 'contractual issues' the foundation can no tell us what is going on.
Didn't think that this was a Foundation Product.... wouldn't you ask for info from the people selling the product?
Gertboard is now available exclusively through element14 (UK link) – you should be able to find it on your local element14 website. For Singapore and other Asia Pacific countries please order here; for Australia, please order here; for the USA please order here.
As for save us ALL a lot of Grief... Really?? It is a new product, new products have issues coming to market.... nothing new there, much more common than not.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

wallarug

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Dweeber wrote:
wallarug wrote:
Didn't think that this was a Foundation Product.... wouldn't you ask for info from the people selling the product?
Gertboard is now available exclusively through element14 (UK link) – you should be able to find it on your local element14 website. For Singapore and other Asia Pacific countries please order here; for Australia, please order here; for the USA please order here.
As for save us ALL a lot of Grief... Really?? It is a new product, new products have issues coming to market.... nothing new there, much more common than not.
Has anyone checked with element14 for info?

southpaw

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:47 pm

judging back the lack of information coming from the foundation i would guess there is not much they can tell you, maybe it would be a good idea to ask the vendor who you registered your interest with, and as they havent charged you for the product yet, i really dont see why you are getting so uptight with raspberry pi foundation, maybe you could go check with the Element14 yourself !

RaTTuS

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:14 pm

as I got onto the list early and had a delivery date 8th Oct
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 19#p145827
I'm not worried
and I wont even be worried after that date
farnell will tell you if there is a problem , you can even email them for info they are pretty good at responding

if you NEED to interface with the outside world there are other options available
the gertboard has it's own place.
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:29 pm

southpaw wrote:judging back the lack of information coming from the foundation i would guess there is not much they can tell you, maybe it would be a good idea to ask the vendor who you registered your interest with, and as they havent charged you for the product yet, i really dont see why you are getting so uptight with raspberry pi foundation, maybe you could go check with the Element14 yourself !
That's a good point - we do pass on as much information as we can, but in the end the Gertboard is being sold exclusively by Farnell/E14... so the Foundation is really out of the loop.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”