hansolo77

Pi3 overheating, need a fan!

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:43 pm

Hey ya'll. I just bought this Pi3 from CanaKit on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberr ... nakit+pi+3

I don't know what the problem is, but the thing is getting extremely hot. I use it to run Kodi, and there's this yellow (sometimes red) square in the top right corner of my screen. I learned through searching forums that this is an onscreen indication the Pi is overheating. So get a fan right? Trouble is, I have that case that was supplied in the kit, and there doesn't seem to be anyway to attach an aftermarket fan to it. I'm good with a dremel, but is that really necessary? Has anybody used this case and managed to get a fan attached to it somehow? If not.. can somebody recommend a good case and fan combo that is relatively quiet? The whole reason I went with the Pi as my media center solution was because it was silent. But this thing is so hot it's not worth having. Is there maybe a better passive cooled option for me? Need your help!

hansolo77

Re: Pi3 overheating, need a fan!

Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:08 am

"Amazoning" I found this... is it a good product?

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Ras ... e+with+fan

mosespi

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:15 am

Maybe start out with a small heatsink? On my Pi3 that is in a car.. I just put a small heatsink on it, one of the common ones they sell about the size of the processor and around 1cm high.

The Pi runs 24/7 and it is summer here now, the cars interior gets to 60c, CPU usually holds around 70-80c (sometimes 90c+). I'm sure it throttles the CPU a bit (or a lot?), but it doesn't bother me. It has been more then a month in similar conditions and has been reliable so far.

I would not worry so much about the heat for longevity sake. I wouldn't be surprised if the processor survived at 80c for a decade.

Regards,
-Moses
Power problems? MoPower UPS for the Pi
http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

hansolo77

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:52 am

I suppose I'm being overly cautious. But that yellow square on my screen is annoying as heck. I don't want to override that if it's legitimately getting to hot to handle. I'm not even sure how hot it really is comparatively. I hate being in a country though that has trained me to use Fahrenheit for temperatures, while the PC world (and everybody else in the world it seems) uses Celsius. Lol! In order for me to figure out how hot my box is, I have to go into Kodi's settings, and change the temperature setting to Celsius. But I grew up in Fahrenheit so I have to change it back for my weather addon. What'd be really neat is if somebody came up with a nifty little addon that reads the current temp of the CPU (in Celsius) and displays it on the screen, maybe next to the time and date away from the weather.

Anyway, I haven't pulled the trigger on that case yet. I'll wait and see if somebody else has an opinion on it, good, or bad (hopefully with a better suggestion!). Thanks for getting back at least. It's amazing what you can do with these things. I remember building a computer that was full size running off the car battery to a power inverter to pump out 200 watts so I could power the PSU. Had it all wired up with extension cords and what not, running to a (non touch) LCD screen above my rearview mirror. All the geeks at my work at the time thought I should go into business installing it in other people's cars too. It ran WinAMP and had a 60gb (yup) hard drive, with a ton of music and visualizations, and a copy of Fellowship of the Ring on it for the car trip I planned and never took. Now I can do a LOT more, with a little device no bigger than a credit card, and it has no moving parts! Wow technology is great. :)

JimmyN

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:06 pm

The CanaKit case is too enclosed for a Pi3B, you need something that allows more air flow so the heat can vent out of the case. A better vented case, or drill a bunch of small holes in that one (sides and top), and the addition of a heatsink on the SoC, and you probably won't need a fan. Unless you're overclocking passive cooling should be enough, it just needs a heatsink and some draft inducing vent openings in the case.

hansolo77

Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:43 am

Thanks JimmyN...

I thought it strange too that the case included with a Pi3 kit would be incompatible with a Pi3. By simply removing the top cover, it's helped reduce some of the heat. I think the biggest issue with heat was when I was scanning my server for video content to be added into Kodi's library. Since then, I've not seen it pop up the square again. I'll keep an eye on it though. BTW, this kit did come with 2 heat sinks which I do have installed.

Inconnux

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:23 am

I've purchased two Raspberry Pi 3 B+ from Canakit, both come with their power adapter and case. I have the micro SD cards from them as well.
Both overheat badly after 1 -2 hours of use. They just lock up and the cpu heatsink is very hot to the touch. Just standard usage like browsing and streaming youtube videos. I have just purchased two cases with built in fans. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

strebor54

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:43 pm

Will not the FLIRC case do the trick

Return to “Add-ons”