Bendrick92

Mausberry 2A Car Switch - Cutting Power Unexpectedly

Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:13 am

Let me preface this by saying I'm of the understanding that Mausberry's switches are a great solution, but their customer support is nonexistent. Heck, it took me over a week to get any valid tracking data after my order was confirmed. /rant

The issue I'm having is this: I have a Mausberry 2A Car Switch (http://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.com ... ply-switch) wired into my car's glovebox fuse compartment via a pair of fuse taps. One of these taps pulls a constant 12V from the battery, even when the ignition is off. The other tap is wired to a fuse dependent on the ignition status. That is to say it only supplies it's 12V after the car is started. In addition, there is of course a ground. When the switched fuse has power cut/supplied, it's supposed to trigger the Mausberry's circuit and supply 5V of power to a female USB port (where the Pi will be powered from). Everything in this system works great for about 90 seconds after startup. Unfortunately, at that point, the Mausberry switch abruptly stops supplying a 5V source to it's USB port.

Using a multimeter, I've confirmed that the aforementioned fuses are supplying enough power consistently. Having monitored their voltages with the ignition on for over 2 minutes each, I saw <.2V fluctuation from the norm (never dropping below 14V). There were no noticeable dips or spikes.

I then sacrificed a spare USB cable to test the voltage coming out of the Mausberry circuit. After several identical tests, I observed a consistent 5V supply for approximately 90 seconds. After that 90 seconds, the 5V supply dropped to 0V and never returned.

Having tested multiple fuses for each wire, I am absolutely stumped. I can't think of any hardware-related design in the switch that would be switching it off after 90 seconds. Is that even possible? What else can I try to troubleshoot?

I'm itching to get this problem sorted, as the car power supply/safe shutdown switch is the last piece in a personal project I've been working on for almost a year now. I'd appreciate any guidance or advice! Thanks in advance!

JonnyAlpha
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Re: Mausberry 2A Car Switch - Cutting Power Unexpectedly

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:47 pm

Did you get this sorted out?

I am looking for a Raspberry Pi Car in car power supply to build a car computer and the Mausberry seems the only one around (which seems odd). They are out of stock and I have sent a message but alas no reply :-(
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator. Main Hardware - Raspberry Pi 1 model B revision 2, Raspberry Pi 2 model B, Pi Camera

paulv

Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:25 pm

I think that what you want is described in this post, if not, it will should give you enough information to work from : viewtopic.php?f=91&t=129357

Success!

mosespi

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:22 am

I've got a 'car' compatible switch/UPS/other things board.. see:

http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

It has been in stock since the beginning of the year. I've designed it and I usually check the forums every few days.

I have a Pi 3 in my car at the moment with the UPS, been working great for around a month now. I've got it running 24/7, but the auto switching capabilities are pretty cool, it will turn on and off your Pi based on input voltage. So it can control power state based on if your car is running or not, no need to hook up a separate switched ignition wire.

Regards,
-Moses
Power problems? MoPower UPS for the Pi
http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

aiymanqazi

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:04 pm

I know this is old but I'm having the same problems and I can't find anything on it online. Did you ever find a solution?

JonnyAlpha

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:35 am

The one I ordered never had a problem :-)
So sorry can't help you I'm afraid. Try contacting the seller.
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator. Main Hardware - Raspberry Pi 1 model B revision 2, Raspberry Pi 2 model B, Pi Camera

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”