Taxicletter

e-ink display useability

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:49 pm

Hi,

I would like some feedback on the following:
Would it be possible and pleasant to use the e-ink display as working desktop display?
I was thinking about the low power need and the good viewability in sunlight. Black and white is perfect for e-mail and browsing for information. Also possible for mp3 listening, of course not for movies.
But my reader (an old sony reader) is way to slow, if it's the same maximum framerate, I couldn't use it for real "computing".

What are your experiences?

Regards
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

saper_2

Re: e-ink display useability

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:06 pm

That is the e-ink, very slow, but almost no power consumption and great readability in sunlight :) .

So for replacing normal display they won't work, beside e-ink big as 10-15" would cost probably about 10x more than Pi3 ;)

Ps. I'm curious about them, so I thinking about buying some e-ink displays (one big 6" (without builtin controller) , and two smaller (with builtin controller): one b/w, and other b/w/red - yes 3-color :) ) and playing with it :) but the powering them is pain in the neck (the big need a 4 voltages (+/- 22V,+/- 15V), and those small two voltages (+/- 9..15V) - I know there are dedicated PMICs for E-ink, e.g. TI have some).

asandford

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:55 pm

There are e-ink displays for the Pi available from here.

Taxicletter

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:35 am

Okay, thanks for the info and good luck with your project! ;-)
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

Taxicletter

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:55 pm

I have an old sony reader, would it be doable for someone not used to solder things or program drivers, to use it for the Raspberry Pi (3)?
I guess I need at least a driver board...

fdufnews

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Not sure you'll find a driver board for the E-ink display.
But maybe you can hack the reader depending on which reader you own. Some people have hacked the software to make the reader execute android application. Once it's done you can run a terminal software from the reader (or perhaps VNC)

mikerr

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:53 pm

Taxicletter wrote: Would it be possible and pleasant to use the e-ink display as working desktop display?
I was thinking about the low power need and the good viewability in sunlight. Black and white is perfect for e-mail and browsing for information. Also possible for mp3 listening, of course not for movies.

But my reader (an old sony reader) is way to slow, if it's the same maximum framerate, I couldn't use it for real "computing".
Yes, e-ink has an unusable frame rate for anything other than text display IMO

It is great for static text, and of course stays displaying even when power is off.

papyrus pi display:
https://www.pi-supply.com/product/papir ... cba1185463
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBdFldLK-T8

percheron epaper (I have this):

http://www.percheron-electronics.uk/shop/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdTTp0ATX8A
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”