crashinc99

Raspberry Pi Encoding IR RC Module + HX1838+N

Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:37 am

I have a remote control that's kind-of working (see attached pic). The receiver was not soldered on the board properly so I removed the receiver from the board and plugged that into the Pi with jumpers.

Once I plugged the receiver into the Pi directly, all the tutorials I found online now worked, irrecord was able to build the conf file and I built and lircrc file to map commands to the button pushes.

The problem is the buttons work sporadically. I mapped all the number keys to a command to echo "you just pressed 0", "you just pressed 1", etc. to a log file. If I press 0 five times, I'll see a log entry "you just pressed 0" maybe 3 times. Then I switch to another number and that shows up a few times. Some button presses are not being logged.

I'm judging from the bad soldering job, that it's low quality remote control.

My questions:
- Did I cause the issues by removing the receiver from the board? I'm not an electronics pro, but it appears the resisters on the mini-board play into the voltage going to the receiver (i.e., there not just there to light up the LED only). Not sure about this though.

- I need this for a remote controlled score board. The sport is lacrosse and soccer. I have the score board working and can control it via http interface over wifi. So my iphone can run the board. I want the referee of the game to be able to officiate the game and then press a button on a remote to change the score. It would be tough for a ref to run around with a whistle in one hand and a phone in the other. A mini-remote is a viable option.

Any recommendations on a reliable mini-remote (4 buttons minimum) that will work with a Pi?
Attachments
sku_282557_1.jpg
sku_282557_1.jpg (35.34 KiB) Viewed 1959 times

joan

Re: Raspberry Pi Encoding IR RC Module + HX1838+N

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:12 am

I think the board does some signal conditioning. I have an identical looking unit and have found it reliable, more reliable then just connecting an IR LED to the GPIO with a resistor or so. You may well be getting a lot of noise on the signal now. That would explain bad reads.

crashinc99

Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:55 pm

That makes sense. I'll have to solder the receiver back on the mini-board then and see if that clears things up. I did notice in my log that indicated I pressed a button when I didn't press a button.

I ran the irrecord process with the receiver direct connected. I should probably go through that process again.

Thanks for the quick reply!

lohtse

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:20 pm

hi

just wondering what guides you used to get this working???
3x Pi-3 1 x Pi-2 1 x Pi-B+ 1 x Pi-B 2 xPi-Zero 1 x Pi Zero W and a massive ever growing box/room of bits and bobs for them!

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”