Alex_RbPi_95

Has someone ever used the SunFounder's Modules Kit?

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:26 pm

While looking for a Raspberry Pi Kit on Amazon, I found a Kit of 37 Modules Sensor for Raspberry Pi 2 and RPi Model B+. What do you think of it? The product's brand appears to be SunFounder's Kit.

I always saw projects made with RPi and Adafruit together, but this is the first time I hear about SunFounder. Have you ever tried and used it for some of your RPi Projects?

joan

Re: Has someone ever used the SunFounder's Modules Kit?

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:42 pm

It's a popular kit.

It used to suffer from a lack of documentation but I'm fairly sure there is decent documentation on the www now.

As you may have noticed it was originally targeted at Arduinos so you may have to allow for the Pi GPIO being 3V3 and the Pi not having any analogue GPIO (if not taken into account in the new kit).

Alex_RbPi_95

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:35 pm

joan wrote:It's a popular kit.
Is it a good one too? And, if I may ask, how is it compared to Adafruit?
joan wrote:it was originally targeted at Arduinos so you may have to allow for the Pi GPIO being 3V3 and the Pi not having any analogue GPIO (if not taken into account in the new kit).
I don't understand what you mean. Could you be more specific, please?

fruit-uk

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:50 am

There are so many of these kits available.
A kit may be labelled as by a particular manufacturer but there is no guarantee that is what you will get. It may be a copy.

As mentioned, documentation is often poor, if at all, but even when supplied or found online may be wrong, pinouts etc. There is often no explanatory text at all. Legends on PCBs are sometimes incorrect too.

Having said that, they are all pretty basic sensors and if you are prepared to put a little work in researching what each does and deteremine correct pinouts and voltages they are a good starting point.

Joan's comment relates to the voltage that various sensors operate at.
If a sensor is designed to operate at 5V (typically OK forArduino) then it will need to be suppiled with 5V (generally) and any data output is also likely to be 5V

If you connect a 5V sensor output directly to a Pi you will kill your Pi!

You can connect a 5V sensor output to a Pi if you take suitable precautions. Search for level shifters or voltage dividers. There will be many suggestions available.

3|V or 3.3V sensors should be no problem.

Alex_RbPi_95

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:20 am

fruit-uk wrote:There are so many of these kits available.
A kit may be labelled as by a particular manufacturer but there is no guarantee that is what you will get. It may be a copy.

As mentioned, documentation is often poor, if at all, but even when supplied or found online may be wrong, pinouts etc. There is often no explanatory text at all. Legends on PCBs are sometimes incorrect too.

Having said that, they are all pretty basic sensors and if you are prepared to put a little work in researching what each does and deteremine correct pinouts and voltages they are a good starting point.

Joan's comment relates to the voltage that various sensors operate at.
If a sensor is designed to operate at 5V (typically OK forArduino) then it will need to be suppiled with 5V (generally) and any data output is also likely to be 5V

If you connect a 5V sensor output directly to a Pi you will kill your Pi!

You can connect a 5V sensor output to a Pi if you take suitable precautions. Search for level shifters or voltage dividers. There will be many suggestions available.

3|V or 3.3V sensors should be no problem.
Now I see. And what about Adafruit Kits?

fruit-uk

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:46 am

I have no experience of them but would expect much better documentation - at a higher price, check forums and google.

As above posts, if designed for Arduino some sensors may be 5V or higher so be wary and take precautions.
Many kits sold for specifically a Pi may simply be the same as sold for Arduino - including 5V sensors.

They will work - as long as you take appropriate precautions

Edit:
You may actually learn more from a cheap kit eg.
how to find and read/interpret datasheets,
how to use a multimeter and follow tracks on the small PCBs,
how to correct some of the sketches that may be supplied or modify them for use on a Pi.

Douglas6

Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:51 pm

Adafruit parts will definitely have better support, sometimes including detailed tutorials, code libraries, and a responsive tech support forum. I'd recommend you get a few sensors from them that have Raspberry Pi tutorials and code, and later a big grab bag of cheaper parts from the web.

Alex_RbPi_95

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:50 pm

fruit-uk wrote:I have no experience of them but would expect much better documentation - at a higher price, check forums and google.

As above posts, if designed for Arduino some sensors may be 5V or higher so be wary and take precautions.
Many kits sold for specifically a Pi may simply be the same as sold for Arduino - including 5V sensors.

They will work - as long as you take appropriate precautions

Edit:
You may actually learn more from a cheap kit eg.
how to find and read/interpret datasheets,
how to use a multimeter and follow tracks on the small PCBs,
how to correct some of the sketches that may be supplied or modify them for use on a Pi.
Cool, thanks. :)

Alex_RbPi_95

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:52 pm

Douglas6 wrote:I'd recommend you get a few sensors from them
Does Adafruit have a wide range of sensors?
Douglas6 wrote:and later a big grab bag of cheaper parts from the web.
And what is the product's brand that you suggest, based on your experience? :?:

jscott13

Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:28 pm

I purchased this kit about a month ago. It is a very nice kit, the sensors and support boards are well made. Mine came in a nice blue box with a well written instruction book. There is source code (shell and python) for quickly testing each sensor available in the kit. I have downloaded and run many of them, all the code works as written and the sensors I have worked with function well.

BTW, the GPIO breakout board I got from Sunfounder is far more useful than one that came from Canakit. It left a good deal more room on the board for other components. It is also heavier, pins and board both a heavier material... better feel. A small point, but perhaps worth noting.

Though I am new to Pi I have a about ten years working with Arduino. I have purchased component kits like this in the past and had varied experiences. This is one of the nicer kits I have purchased. I highly recommend it.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”