algorithm

Re: PiZero Ethernet pHAT

Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:38 am

Good stuff.

Once you add the EEPROM (and otherwise adhere to the specs) it is a full-blown HAT, though. I mean, you don't need it on other Pi models but it should work just the same, right? No need to diminish it.

EtherHAT? Bleep & Ping HAT?

Douglas6

Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:27 pm

Raspberry Beret!

"And when it was warm, she didn't wear much more"

karrika

Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:33 pm

Thanks for the positive comment and name suggestions.

I just read through the requirements and it is not allowed to use the name HAT is it does not follow the mechanical specifications. Obviously a card 30mm by 65 mm is not 56.5mm by 65mm. So it follows the mechanical specs only up to 53.1% which may not be enough.

Besides, I want to stack it with my upcoming Discocap that does not need an eeprom. And HATs don't stack (I've been told).

I just finished the design of Miscap Image

The price of the chips and board are unfortunately a little below 10€.

I just placed the order for a bunch of protos. Interested parties can "order" just pcb's from me for around €3 or a bag of chips + pcb for around €10. No option for "assembled and tested" exists. I will make an announcement here when the stuff has arrived.

First come, first served. So drop me a line to get one.
Last edited by karrika on Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laurens-wuyts

Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:49 pm

I really like the design and the options you added! ;)

Laurens

adun

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:03 pm

Please pick the €10 option for me :)

karrika

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Great!

I could actually make a small tutorial of how to solder SMD components without solder paste.

The basic idea is to run the soldering iron over all the SMD pads and adding solder all the time.

If you try to solder a single SMD pad you get bridges. To remove the bridges add more solder while moving the soldering iron. The solder builds up to a large ball. Then you just lift the ball and put it away.

Once all SMD pads are tinned you can easily hot-plate them (be sure that the lady in the house is somewhere else).

Put the board on the stove and turn temperature to 250 degrees Celsius. Place all chips on the board while it heats up. When the melting starts turn off the heat so you don't burn anything. Place the chips right during 90 seconds. Then remove the board carefully (the chips are still swimming in liquid tin) and put it somewhere to cool down.

The real problem is soldering the 40-pin connector manually. Pin by pin by pin. Takes 10 minutes at least. That is why you need cheap labour. Like the people on this forum ;) who will do it for FREE!!!

gregeric

Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:18 pm

Would SPI selection by jumpers be preferable over the DIP switch (& maybe cheaper?) so that the user couldn't mistakenly select both?

karrika

Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Yes, it would. But the suggestion came too late. The board went for production earlier today.

karrika

Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:05 pm

The boards have been manufactured and were sent today. They should be available by the end of the week. Now it is just to keep fingers crossed that the invention works. So adun and DougieLawson, you will get something to test soon. I may actually do the SMD assembly as it takes no time for me.

PhilS

Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:08 pm

Great work competitor ;) Great minds think alike!

adun

Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Great news :)

karrika

Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Thank you Phil. My product is actually http://discohat.com. But when I started to design the PiZero version of DiscoHAT I found out that there is no audio out, no network and no space for the eeprom. So my board is actually a companion-board to DiscoCAP that makes the combination work good enough.

The sound and light control QLC+ is getting really cool and I hope to get the Raspberries to work well enough. Today they are working ok. But we still need to test and improve on the code. Perhaps prime time for DiscoHAT is in mid 2016 or so.

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:37 pm

karrika wrote:The boards have been manufactured and were sent today. They should be available by the end of the week. Now it is just to keep fingers crossed that the invention works. So adun and DougieLawson, you will get something to test soon. I may actually do the SMD assembly as it takes no time for me.
Ah ha, my PiZero currently has a ENC28J60 wired on the GPIO pins (as the WiFi dongle I've bought hasn't arrived). So it's going to be an easy test since I've got the configuration stuff done.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

karrika

Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:35 pm

The boards just arrived. Here is the first picture ever of Miscap.
Miscap.png
Miscap.png (60.28 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
The mechanics fits perfectly! I could not have done it better myself.

- Wait, I did it myself.

Still waiting for a few parts.

Laurens-wuyts

Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Nice! I came out great!
Tell me when I can buy it. :)

Laurens

adun

Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:36 pm

Yeah looks good :)
I had a quick look at the schematics and saw that you did not include a driving buffer for the PWM audio like on B+ and B2.
I suggest to include that for the final miscap version for better audio quality .

karrika

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:32 pm

Thanks for the hint. I will add the audio driver to the next version. I just did not know that the sound was weak. Perhaps I drop the series resistance a little to get more power. My experience is that the sound is too loud. I had difficulties at the theatre because of too much volume in Raspberry Pi 2. I was feeding the sound into a Fender guitar amplifier. But this is PiZero so I have no experience of it yet.

I hope to have all parts on Monday. Except the Ethernet module from China. I have no clue of when it arrives.

The easiest thing for me is to put the board to my site when the parts have arrived. http://discohat.com/shop

I was a bit nervous since my copy of MagPi arrived after I had sent in the board. But the boards fit together. That is good.

By the way. The MagPi magazine is pretty good. I was afraid that it would just be full of colourful blobs and nonsense. But it is actually well written. I subscribed to it after reading half of the magazine.

adun

Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:09 pm

You're welcome.
Best thing would be to test the audio output on different amplifiers. How was the quality on the guitar amp? Were there a lot of distortions ? Usually the qualitiy should increase with higher volume. At least on B+ and B2 due to the additional output driver.
I did not yet check how the voltage is regulated on Pi Zero but this is also important.

About the onboard eeprom: if we want allow the user to switch between SPI0 and SPI1 , device tree can't be used.
A possibility would be a small script where the user can set the config options for the SPI ethernet.
Another is an additional DIP switch to select between two eeproms. This would however result in higher costs.
Or the switch can be connected to a GPIO pin where the software can detect which bus is used.

karrika

Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:38 pm

The sound in our play was mainly 30 sec ramp-up music with violin and big-band in the background. Also doorbell, mobile phone, crash sound, bird chirps. I did not notice anything special in the sound. But the lack of volume control was disturbing. Different clips had different volumes and I could not do anything about it as I was on stage.

For the real shows I just purchased a Cirrus Logic Audio Card that hopefully has some level of control over the sound.

But for this board we could try to come up with something.

My plan for the eeprom was to leave it in read/write mode all the time. When you flip the switches you also run a small utility to program the current switch settings to the eeprom. I need just two binaries:

- set SPI0 to eeprom
- set SPI1 to eeprom
Perhaps I also need to set the GPIO pins for the audio in the device tree.

PS. could you email me your snail mail address so that I can send the card for testing on Monday

adun

Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:39 am

Cool idea to use a Pi for sound effects. When I had my band years back there was no RPi and we used an old Pentium2 with a high end ISA soundcard ;)

Will have to test if there's no way of volume control for PWM audio. I had also a look at the cirrus logic audio card. But in my opinion it uses too much gpio pins. Especially those who are needed for other functions. And the drivers are not yet included in Rasbian.
HiFiBerry or PCM5102A DAC s seems to be a better option.

To leave the eeprom in read/write mode is a great idea. So the user can also disable the PWM audio if those pins are needed.
A little config-setup could be run by the user at first boot to check for updates and set the GPIO functions. Then this is writen to the eeprom.
I would also include a jumper footprint to change the eeprom address. If there are multiple pHATs and the user wants to get another eeprom loaded.

PS: you have a pm.

karrika

Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:55 am

Thanks for the info. I checked the HiFiBerry DAC+ and HiFiBerry AMP+. They include hardware volume control through alsa mixer.
The DAC+

Code: Select all

amixer sset 'PCM' 96%
amixer sset 'Playback Boost' 0%
The AMP+

Code: Select all

amixer sset Master 70%
amixer sset Channels 70%,70%
The good thing is that they seems to be compatible with my DiscoHAT project. Got to order one asap.

I wonder if alsamixer works with RPi head phones? Have to try it at home.

karrika

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:45 pm

< teaser on>
Got the soldering done. Just waiting for the Ethernet module from China.
Soldered.png
Soldered.png (36.81 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
< teaser off >

karrika

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:35 pm

Christmas came early! I just received the ENC28J60 from China. At least the LEDs are blinking :lol:
miscapmodule.png
miscapmodule.png (37.53 KiB) Viewed 3402 times

DougieLawson

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:50 pm

I've got to learn surface mount soldering (or persuade a friend to do it for me) before I can build my board.

If I'm going to do it myself I'll need a roll of solder wick.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

karrika

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:52 pm

NP. I send you an assembled one. :D

I use a hot plate and ordinary tin only. Look at the top of the thread.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”