waspinator
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:18 am

identifying TFT LCD

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:27 am

Hi,

I bought a cheap LCD to play around with, but I'm not sure what model it is.

The only markings on it I can see are:

3.5 inch RPi LCD V3.0 HVGA 480X320. There is a XPT2046, 74HC04D, 74HC4040D, and 2 74HC4094D chips on the back. Is there a way to determine which driver I need to use in software?

I was following this guide:
http://www.circuitbasics.com/setup-lcd- ... pberry-pi/

and looking through this driver:
https://github.com/notro/fbtft/blob/mas ... t_device.c

There are ~50 LCD models to choose from in that driver.

I got it from here
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221822335725?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

The seller provided an image that got the LCD to work. Still would be nice to understand how to do it on a virgin OS.

https://mega.nz/#!HhJwGLTb!5rc8PPTlUQe2 ... d1hef08AWU

This is the interface to the LCD
http://i.imgur.com/uoTmf5m.png

Thanks
Last edited by waspinator on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
realjumy
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:09 am

I was following the same guide for a different touch screen without success.

Were you able to display images properly in the screen?

csvke
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:26 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:49 pm

I bought a very similar looking board from taobao.com
The seller provided a raspbian .img file which I download but I cannot get the screen to work (white screen, occasionally flickering).

I did dig out some info through

Code: Select all

dmesg

Code: Select all

[    3.246933] ads7846 spi0.1: touchscreen, irq 187
[    3.264671] input: ADS7843 Touchscreen as /devices/platform/bcm2708_spi.0/spi_master/spi0/spi0.1/input/input0
I am not 100% convinced that the distribution given works with the LCD (the item I bought is dis-continued but the seller provided another item that has identical specifications - 3.5" IPS 15fps 480x320 resolution - but I suspect it has a slightly, or altogether different, controller.

The distribution has built the TFT support into the kernel so I cannot check what has been loaded via

Code: Select all

lsmod
My questions are:
[*]Is there any way I can extract some information of what driver has been used, or tried to use, for the TFT via that half working distribution? As far as I know, a GPIO/ SPI connection will not gather connected hardware information...
[*]How can I load up a number of, if not all, the drivers written by https://github.com/notro/fbtft and try it until it works?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19808
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:20 pm

csvke wrote:I bought a very similar looking board from taobao.com
The seller provided a raspbian .img file which I download but I cannot get the screen to work (white screen, occasionally flickering).

I did dig out some info through

Code: Select all

dmesg

Code: Select all

[    3.246933] ads7846 spi0.1: touchscreen, irq 187
[    3.264671] input: ADS7843 Touchscreen as /devices/platform/bcm2708_spi.0/spi_master/spi0/spi0.1/input/input0
I am not 100% convinced that the distribution given works with the LCD (the item I bought is dis-continued but the seller provided another item that has identical specifications - 3.5" IPS 15fps 480x320 resolution - but I suspect it has a slightly, or altogether different, controller.

The distribution has built the TFT support into the kernel so I cannot check what has been loaded via

Code: Select all

lsmod
My questions are:
[*]Is there any way I can extract some information of what driver has been used, or tried to use, for the TFT via that half working distribution? As far as I know, a GPIO/ SPI connection will not gather connected hardware information...
[*]How can I load up a number of, if not all, the drivers written by https://github.com/notro/fbtft and try it until it works?
The Notro Drivers are included in a fully updated Raspbian OS https://github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki ;)
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

waspinator
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:18 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:04 pm

added a link to the image provided by the seller to my first post.

spahr001
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:58 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:05 am

I bought a display off Amazon described as [ SainSmart 3.5" inch TFT LCD 240x320 RGB Pixels Touch Screen Display Monitor For Raspberry Pi for Model B & B+] and sold by: Sain Store. What I received is the 320x480 display you described. I am also trying to verify the model before I try to set it up.

arminkz
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:45 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:42 am

same problem here .
only thing i know about display model is : it contains a text on its back : 3.5 inch RPi LCD V3.0 HVGA 480x320

tried notro drivers...
tried waveshare drivers ...
enabled Raspbian SPI module from raspi-config...
but still cant get display to working. just white screen appears.

what should i do ?

thanks for help

DirkS
Posts: 9844
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:45 pm

arminkz wrote:what should i do ?

thanks for help
Contact seller and ask them how to get it working. If they can't, get your money back.

TheQuestor
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:15 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:53 pm

see my post here

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=136558

I just got the same unit working on my PI B

What I would like to do is be able to "diff" a clean image and the modified image to find out exactly which drivers were used, what files have been modified for their use to be able to create a standalone install package that be used on a clean install.

I've also used the "image" but the accompanying documentation is almost worthless and doing a dist-upgrade seems to totally bork it :(

DirkS
Posts: 9844
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:41 pm

TheQuestor wrote:What I would like to do is be able to "diff" a clean image and the modified image to find out exactly which drivers were used, what files have been modified for their use to be able to create a standalone install package that be used on a clean install.
I have actually analysed the settings used on the image linked to above.
They use an old method (notro's flexfb) that is not supported anymore and also not necessary.
I checked the settings they use and have come to the conclusion that they are the same as those used for the Waveshare screens.
That's why I suggested trying the Waveshare overlays at https://github.com/swkim01/waveshare-dtoverlays
Using the device tree overlays makes configuration much easier and there is less chance of breaking them when updating the system

adityaanand
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Sun May 22, 2016 11:10 pm

It is simple and easy. Go through the link below maybe it can help you.

http://adityaanand.blog.com/2016/05/22/ ... -lcd-v3-0/

Adarsh Singh
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:18 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:22 am

I also have the exactly same screen can someone tell where i can get the drivers

Adarsh Singh
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:18 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:29 pm

adityaanand wrote:It is simple and easy. Go through the link below maybe it can help you.

http://adityaanand.blog.com/2016/05/22/ ... -lcd-v3-0/
Yes It Works , it is the only tutorial i found Thanks Aditya Anand

cmhealth
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Hello,

I have this same TFT and the blog link indicated above no longer works.

Does anyone have the instructions to making this TFT work on Pi3?

Thanks!


lesept
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:11 pm

Is this working on RPi 3?

jlukanc
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:39 pm

Had this screen for awhile and never actually got it to work right. Is there a way to make it work with kodi, or MATE?
Help Me With the Issues Pleasethat spells "HMWIP" also, you have a good monitor to see this REALLLLLY?

jlukanc
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:39 pm

The url wont work.
Help Me With the Issues Pleasethat spells "HMWIP" also, you have a good monitor to see this REALLLLLY?

lesept
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:51 am

I finally found the full information :

http://ozzmaker.com/piscreen-quick-star ... 20PiScreen

and installation instructions :

http://ozzmaker.com/piscreen-driver-ins ... uctions-2/

Although, after following the installation instructions, the screen I have behaves weirdly: there seems to be a symmetry between the point where I click on the screen and the real place of the pointer. Depending on the argument of the rotate instruction in

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=piscreen,speed=16000000,rotate=90
the symmetry is vertical or horizontal. I haven't figured out yet how to fix this and have the pointer exactly where I touch on the touchscreen. Hope this helps...

Adarsh Singh
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:18 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:27 pm

It was working but was a bit too slow so, I Increased the speed After setting Everything back to normal the screen is not working properly. The display is fine , but the touch is not responding. Please help! Did I BROKE it ?
Thanks

kkeni
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:19 pm

I would also wants to design LCD (mono LCD and colored LCD) for Pi, such LCDs like: www.truevision-tech.com/graphic.html

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”