waspinator
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:18 am

identifying TFT LCD

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:27 am

Hi,

I bought a cheap LCD to play around with, but I'm not sure what model it is.

The only markings on it I can see are:

3.5 inch RPi LCD V3.0 HVGA 480X320. There is a XPT2046, 74HC04D, 74HC4040D, and 2 74HC4094D chips on the back. Is there a way to determine which driver I need to use in software?

I was following this guide:
http://www.circuitbasics.com/setup-lcd- ... pberry-pi/

and looking through this driver:
https://github.com/notro/fbtft/blob/mas ... t_device.c

There are ~50 LCD models to choose from in that driver.

I got it from here
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221822335725?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

The seller provided an image that got the LCD to work. Still would be nice to understand how to do it on a virgin OS.

https://mega.nz/#!HhJwGLTb!5rc8PPTlUQe2 ... d1hef08AWU

This is the interface to the LCD
http://i.imgur.com/uoTmf5m.png

Thanks
Last edited by waspinator on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
realjumy
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:09 am

I was following the same guide for a different touch screen without success.

Were you able to display images properly in the screen?

csvke
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:26 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:49 pm

I bought a very similar looking board from taobao.com
The seller provided a raspbian .img file which I download but I cannot get the screen to work (white screen, occasionally flickering).

I did dig out some info through

Code: Select all

dmesg

Code: Select all

[    3.246933] ads7846 spi0.1: touchscreen, irq 187
[    3.264671] input: ADS7843 Touchscreen as /devices/platform/bcm2708_spi.0/spi_master/spi0/spi0.1/input/input0
I am not 100% convinced that the distribution given works with the LCD (the item I bought is dis-continued but the seller provided another item that has identical specifications - 3.5" IPS 15fps 480x320 resolution - but I suspect it has a slightly, or altogether different, controller.

The distribution has built the TFT support into the kernel so I cannot check what has been loaded via

Code: Select all

lsmod
My questions are:
[*]Is there any way I can extract some information of what driver has been used, or tried to use, for the TFT via that half working distribution? As far as I know, a GPIO/ SPI connection will not gather connected hardware information...
[*]How can I load up a number of, if not all, the drivers written by https://github.com/notro/fbtft and try it until it works?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 25699
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:20 pm

csvke wrote:I bought a very similar looking board from taobao.com
The seller provided a raspbian .img file which I download but I cannot get the screen to work (white screen, occasionally flickering).

I did dig out some info through

Code: Select all

dmesg

Code: Select all

[    3.246933] ads7846 spi0.1: touchscreen, irq 187
[    3.264671] input: ADS7843 Touchscreen as /devices/platform/bcm2708_spi.0/spi_master/spi0/spi0.1/input/input0
I am not 100% convinced that the distribution given works with the LCD (the item I bought is dis-continued but the seller provided another item that has identical specifications - 3.5" IPS 15fps 480x320 resolution - but I suspect it has a slightly, or altogether different, controller.

The distribution has built the TFT support into the kernel so I cannot check what has been loaded via

Code: Select all

lsmod
My questions are:
[*]Is there any way I can extract some information of what driver has been used, or tried to use, for the TFT via that half working distribution? As far as I know, a GPIO/ SPI connection will not gather connected hardware information...
[*]How can I load up a number of, if not all, the drivers written by https://github.com/notro/fbtft and try it until it works?
The Notro Drivers are included in a fully updated Raspbian OS https://github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki ;)
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

waspinator
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:18 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:04 pm

added a link to the image provided by the seller to my first post.

spahr001
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:58 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:05 am

I bought a display off Amazon described as [ SainSmart 3.5" inch TFT LCD 240x320 RGB Pixels Touch Screen Display Monitor For Raspberry Pi for Model B & B+] and sold by: Sain Store. What I received is the 320x480 display you described. I am also trying to verify the model before I try to set it up.

arminkz
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:45 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:42 am

same problem here .
only thing i know about display model is : it contains a text on its back : 3.5 inch RPi LCD V3.0 HVGA 480x320

tried notro drivers...
tried waveshare drivers ...
enabled Raspbian SPI module from raspi-config...
but still cant get display to working. just white screen appears.

what should i do ?

thanks for help

DirkS
Posts: 10583
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:45 pm

arminkz wrote:what should i do ?

thanks for help
Contact seller and ask them how to get it working. If they can't, get your money back.

TheQuestor
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:15 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:53 pm

see my post here

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=136558

I just got the same unit working on my PI B

What I would like to do is be able to "diff" a clean image and the modified image to find out exactly which drivers were used, what files have been modified for their use to be able to create a standalone install package that be used on a clean install.

I've also used the "image" but the accompanying documentation is almost worthless and doing a dist-upgrade seems to totally bork it :(

DirkS
Posts: 10583
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:41 pm

TheQuestor wrote:What I would like to do is be able to "diff" a clean image and the modified image to find out exactly which drivers were used, what files have been modified for their use to be able to create a standalone install package that be used on a clean install.
I have actually analysed the settings used on the image linked to above.
They use an old method (notro's flexfb) that is not supported anymore and also not necessary.
I checked the settings they use and have come to the conclusion that they are the same as those used for the Waveshare screens.
That's why I suggested trying the Waveshare overlays at https://github.com/swkim01/waveshare-dtoverlays
Using the device tree overlays makes configuration much easier and there is less chance of breaking them when updating the system

adityaanand
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Sun May 22, 2016 11:10 pm

It is simple and easy. Go through the link below maybe it can help you.

http://adityaanand.blog.com/2016/05/22/ ... -lcd-v3-0/

Adarsh Singh
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:18 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:22 am

I also have the exactly same screen can someone tell where i can get the drivers

Adarsh Singh
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:18 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:29 pm

adityaanand wrote:It is simple and easy. Go through the link below maybe it can help you.

http://adityaanand.blog.com/2016/05/22/ ... -lcd-v3-0/
Yes It Works , it is the only tutorial i found Thanks Aditya Anand

cmhealth
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Hello,

I have this same TFT and the blog link indicated above no longer works.

Does anyone have the instructions to making this TFT work on Pi3?

Thanks!


lesept
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:11 pm

Is this working on RPi 3?

jlukanc
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:39 pm

Had this screen for awhile and never actually got it to work right. Is there a way to make it work with kodi, or MATE?
Help Me With the Issues Pleasethat spells "HMWIP" also, you have a good monitor to see this REALLLLLY?

jlukanc
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:39 pm

The url wont work.
Help Me With the Issues Pleasethat spells "HMWIP" also, you have a good monitor to see this REALLLLLY?

lesept
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:51 am

I finally found the full information :

http://ozzmaker.com/piscreen-quick-star ... 20PiScreen

and installation instructions :

http://ozzmaker.com/piscreen-driver-ins ... uctions-2/

Although, after following the installation instructions, the screen I have behaves weirdly: there seems to be a symmetry between the point where I click on the screen and the real place of the pointer. Depending on the argument of the rotate instruction in

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=piscreen,speed=16000000,rotate=90
the symmetry is vertical or horizontal. I haven't figured out yet how to fix this and have the pointer exactly where I touch on the touchscreen. Hope this helps...

Adarsh Singh
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:18 am

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:27 pm

It was working but was a bit too slow so, I Increased the speed After setting Everything back to normal the screen is not working properly. The display is fine , but the touch is not responding. Please help! Did I BROKE it ?
Thanks

kkeni
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Re: identifying TFT LCD

Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:19 pm

I would also wants to design LCD (mono LCD and colored LCD) for Pi, such LCDs like: www.truevision-tech.com/graphic.html

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”