texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Are the Gertboards here?

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Farnell UK webchat :

Code: Select all

Amanda: Hello 
Texy: hi Amanda, I had an email today to notify me on an item in stock, but when I go to the item page, it is not found. It is a new item called a Gertboard, item no. 2114623 
Amanda: Is this PCB, GERTBOARD, REV 3?
Texy: Yes
Amanda: We currently have 556 in stock in our UK warehouse. That are available. 
Texy: How much?
Amanda: £5.00
Texy: That is for the 'kit', or just the PCB ?
Amanda: The PCB. 
Texy: OK. I understand that it was going to be made available as a kit with the components for self assembly. Do you have any details?
Amanda: 2 moments
Amanda: The PCB has been released early, unfortunately the kit hasn't. This is due for release on the 3rd September at the moment, which was the original date.  
Texy: OK. Thanks for that information. There is a minimum order costs of £20, so I would need to order 4 - correct?
Amanda: Yes, if you place order order over the website it is also free delivery for you. 
Texy: ...but I can't order from the website can I ?
Amanda: No, you don't seem to be able to at the moment. If you call through and explain that the product isn't on the website. You can place the order by phone. 
Amanda: 08447111111
Texy: OK, thanks for your help Amanda.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

dan_in_sd

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:45 pm

shows up at the Singapore Element 14 site:
http://sg.element14.com/element14/gb110 ... dp/2114623

Also i found this after calling the Newark/Element 14 customer service number in the States, the newark p/n is: 05W3970. That part number does not show up in a search at the Newark/Element 14 website. But she said it was good. She also gave a Manufacturer P/N which was GB11052012 which is the same part no. that I have seen around before.

But alas, as Gordon said previously, this is most likely just the PCB. ( Not the kit )
RPI #1: Model B | Over-clocked | XBMC | RPI #2: Model B+ 512MB | Beautiful metal case from Lukse.LT | RPI #3: PI2 with Camera, 64GB USB Flash and Wi-Fi

richwillars

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:38 am

Arrived this morning.. it is indeed just the PCB. It amazes me that Farnell can screw up so much.. on the order / invoices etc it states PCB KIT, but on the delivery note it states PCB. I'll be sending it back shortly stating that it was missold as the wrong description.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:15 am

If you are in the UK I,d be happy to take it off your hands for what you paid for it - PM me if so ;)

It's a shame I didn't find out what the full kit price was going to be.
If I was you I would keep hold of the board and populate it with only the components you actually need.
I,m assuming that the ATMega will be pre-programmed in the full kit version, but as the PCB is available
seperately, then surely the programming data should be available as an option?
Gert?

T.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

SquarePeg

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:29 am

richwillars wrote:Arrived this morning.. it is indeed just the PCB. It amazes me that Farnell can screw up so much.. on the order / invoices etc it states PCB KIT, but on the delivery note it states PCB. I'll be sending it back shortly stating that it was missold as the wrong description.
Did it come with a parts list and/or schematic?

[email protected]

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:23 am

texy wrote:If you are in the UK I,d be happy to take it off your hands for what you paid for it - PM me if so ;)

It's a shame I didn't find out what the full kit price was going to be.
If I was you I would keep hold of the board and populate it with only the components you actually need.
I,m assuming that the ATMega will be pre-programmed in the full kit version, but as the PCB is available
seperately, then surely the programming data should be available as an option?
Gert?

T.
As far as I'm aware, the ATmega won't be programmed, however the reason I have a Gertboard right now was to put together some means to use the ATmega on the Gertboard from the Pi.

So I've been through a few iterations and came to the conclusion that the easiest way to do it would be via the ATmegas ISP interface and use the GPIOs SPI pins to program it. So I've put together a version of avrdude that has some patches published by others to use a Linux systems GPIO pins via the /sys/class/gpio interface, and set the defaults for the Pi. It's not the fastest ISP programmer in the world, but it gets there... It also means you can run (e.g.) minicom on the Pi's serial port jumpered to the ATmegas serial port and see things happening on the ATmega right at boot time without having to start/stop the serial console in the Arduino IDE.

I've also put together a script to initialise a blank ATmega (168 or 328p) with the right fuse settings to make it work at 12MHz (Otherwise it defaults to 1MHz using its internal oscillator) and make sure all the flash is avalable for program use. (a serial bootloader would use 2KB of Flash, however if you're writing a 32KB program for an ATmega on the Gertboard then perhaps it's not the right platform for you! ;-)

I did go down the serial programming route, but the biggest issue there was that it's running at 12MHz and so it needed a modified bootloader (the baud rate generator is derived off the system clock) - so then there would be the issue of putting the bootloader into it in the first place, and I didn't fancy sitting down with 1000+ ATmegas doing it via my ISP programmer.

(and it's running at 12MHz because that's the limitation of the ATmega at 3.3v)

(And you can use a traditional USB/ISP programmer if you like - it's works fine on the Pi)

So I have modified versions of the Arduino IDE's boards.txt and programmers.txt to work on the Pi and I've been doing some tests using the Arduino IDE with Raspbian to program the ATmegas and it's all working fine.

When the kit is released it should include the manual (written by Myra who was at the Cambridge Rassberryjam event too demonstrating the Lego crocodile, and downloadable off the Farnell site) which has much nicer pictures that I can draw...

If you want a sneak preview, then https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/gertboard/ is the place to look, but that is subject to change before the official release!

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

jbeale

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:46 pm

> (and it's running at 12MHz because that's the limitation of the ATmega at 3.3v)

That's what the datasheet says, but it is conservative. For what it's worth, the "JeeNode" has shipped many thousands of units (ATmega 328P at 16 MHz and 3.3V) and they all seem to work. I have a few of them and can verify that. http://jeelabs.org/2010/12/16/voltage-3-3-vs-5/

The actual cutoff for operation at that frequency is somewhere around 3.1 V as I recall, probably dependent on temperature also.

MrGreg

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:05 am

Re what I said here..
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=225

Thought I would go ahead and order one (PCB) apparently not a Kit as described

Farnell responded with this

2114623 is no longer available, please remove this product from your basket to continue.

Printer Friendly View Email Basket

Line No. Order Code Qty Mftr. & Part No. Description RoHS Avail. Unit Price Line Price Delete

Sort by order code/SKU ascending Sort by order code/SKU descending

Sort by manufacturer name and part number ascending Sort by manufacturer name and part number descending

Sort by availability ascending Sort by availability descending

2114623 ELEMENT14
GB11052012 PCB KIT, GERTBOARD, REV 3 Yes 530
£5.00
£5.00

So still rather confused - disappointed

mecarter

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:18 am

I understand from a Farnell "In Stock Confirmation" email (30-JUL-12) and follow up telephone call, that they now have GertBoard printed circuit boards (Order Code 2114623) in stock at £5.00, the problem is that I cannot find a part list of components to populate the board. I'm surprise that the Raspberry Pi Foundation have not made an announcement regarding this much awaited add-on. Can someone please help?

pdm

Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:35 am

I have received a couple of GertBoard rev3 and would dearly love to get a parts lists.
Has anyone started to put one together for this rev?

tnx

Gert van Loo

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:59 am

Please bear with us.
It has been a bumpy road but we are getting there.

williamhbell

Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words Gert. Sorry to hear about the bumps in the road.
Best regards, Will

timmoore46

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:00 am

11052012 and 2114623 with Farnell do not offer anything to buy.

Is there a working link so I can buy one anywhere ?

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Tim

[email protected]

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:13 am

timmoore46 wrote:11052012 and 2114623 with Farnell do not offer anything to buy.

Is there a working link so I can buy one anywhere ?

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Tim
See this post from Gert:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 17#p127117

where he says it will be sold as a kit, not a bare PCB.

Personally, I'd wait until the official 'nod' from Gert or the Foundation and get the complete kit rather than try to short-circuit the process and order stuff that Farnell may have accidentally made avalable...

I know everyones chomping at the bit - and I ran a little private training session fo a couple of days last week (Pi, C and GPIO), and the chap who was with me tried his best to sneak my board home with him ;-) so just hang in there...

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

simplesi

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:19 am

My attitude (I work in primary schools so I want it to be cheap as chips :) ) is that

1. Gertboard is great - does everything - costs $5 :)

2. Same as above but slightly more expensive :)

3. Same as above but too expensive - then we'll just go down the XXXduino route and produce cheap clones. :)

I think we really, really, really need a good reference add on board that we can all start to program with and start getting them into education :)

regards
Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

timmoore46

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:05 pm

simplesi wrote:My attitude (I work in primary schools so I want it to be cheap as chips :) ) is that

1. Gertboard is great - does everything - costs $5 :)

2. Same as above but slightly more expensive :)

3. Same as above but too expensive - then we'll just go down the XXXduino route and produce cheap clones. :)

I think we really, really, really need a good reference add on board that we can all start to program with and start getting them into education :)

regards
Simon
A very simple to use 'starter' program that just uses one switch and one led, would be brilliant. Then the user could add onto it and make it flash etc etc.

Getting started on programming the GPIO is a HUGE hurdle for many, so this route would be great if it was explained like we were 3 years old.

So I'm with Simon on this one !

Sure lets by the kit once and the raw pcb afterwards as an option.

(many/most have never programmed an Android based thing ever before,) so the whole R Pi thing is terrifying !

Yes we can see the potential !

Thank goodness for this Forum !

:D :D :D :D :D

Tim

exartemarte

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Two-month lead time...

Still, I've placed my order, and thank you, Gert, not just for all the effort you've put into this but also for going with Farnell rather than RS.

Farnell are used to dealing with individual customers - in the UK at any rate, they were doing it long before the Pi came on the scene. I've bought from them in the past, and while they're not cheap I've found them quick and reliable. (I ordered, and cancelled, a Pi from RS. I will not deal with them again.)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Given my conversation with Gert this morning, I'm surprised it's 2 months...I would have expected less.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

pygmy_giant

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Cool - will lazy people be able to buy re-assembled boards in the future?

If not, would the re-selling of assembled kits be legally problematic?

jamesh

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:02 pm

pygmy_giant wrote:Cool - will lazy people be able to buy re-assembled boards in the future?

If not, would the re-selling of assembled kits be legally problematic?
Once you have bought it, it's yours to do with as you wish. Gert and I discussed this this morning - he's expecting fully made up boards to appear on Ebay etc. fairly quickly.

As for 'official' pre-assembled boards, there is no news on that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

exartemarte

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:12 pm

jamesh wrote:Given my conversation with Gert this morning, I'm surprised it's 2 months...I would have expected less.
I placed my order today and estimated delivery date is week commencing 8/10/2012, which is two months. Maybe lots of people are ordering them. Sounds familiar...

I'm not complaining, though - it looks like a very interesting board, and it takes as long as it takes.

williamhbell

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Many thanks Gert.
I have just ordered one too.
Best regards, Will

ringz

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:23 pm

I've just ordered a Gertboard as well. I didn't notice any delivery date but I'm a fairly patient guy so I'll be happy enough to wait till it arrives :)

I also used it as an excuse to get a pressure sensor and a few logic mosfets so I'll have stuff to play with while I'm waiting.

Martyn.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:39 pm

exartemarte wrote:
jamesh wrote:Given my conversation with Gert this morning, I'm surprised it's 2 months...I would have expected less.
I placed my order today and estimated delivery date is week commencing 8/10/2012, which is two months. Maybe lots of people are ordering them. Sounds familiar...

I'm not complaining, though - it looks like a very interesting board, and it takes as long as it takes.
That's baffling. I *know* they have plenty in the warehouses already. Sounds like their delivery-anticipating robot has got its sums wrong again - I'll look into it for you. (Read that as: I'll ask Gert to look into it!)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”