fulburncams

Re: Are the Gertboards here?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:17 pm

JBeale
Great stuff, like you i have designed my own. The Gertboard /Pi Face did not meet my requirements, hence i designed my own for small production for my own purposes, happy to pass on designs etc.
Regards
Steve

FatCat970

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:26 am

Will the Gert board have analogue inputs as well as digital? Thinking about using this in school projects in NZ. Students will need to perform control using both types of input.

[email protected]

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:41 am

FatCat970 wrote:Will the Gert board have analogue inputs as well as digital? Thinking about using this in school projects in NZ. Students will need to perform control using both types of input.
Gertboard has a 2-port A/D convertor and a 2-port D/A convertor on-board.

It also has a ATmega with 6 analogue inputs...

I've just been using the kernel SPI driver to talk to a PiFace board, so the next stop is to use it to talk to these chips on the Gertboard as that's how they're connected up...

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

Gert van Loo

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:18 am

FatCat970 wrote:Will the Gert board have analogue inputs as well as digital? Thinking about using this in school projects in NZ. Students will need to perform control using both types of input.
Gordon has answered your question already: yes AD and DA.
I just am happy to see that the board indeed has the right components for education.

FatCat970

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:07 am

Cool. Control of motors and the like with access to video and mp3. Link this with an LDR and a laser pen and you have a bedroom alarm or door lock that tells you where to go if you use the wrong code. Should be better than the old temperature control system in a greenhouse.

dan_in_sd

Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:07 am

Can the Gertboard's I2C Bus be extended to other I2C slave devices without causing problems to the AD and DA chips that are currently there?
My thought is to add an I2C Bus Extender chip* to drive 10 meters of 2-pair telephone cable to another bus extender chip and ultimately to a slave I2C device. The bus will be running at 50khz max.

* Philips p/n P82B96 or P82B715
RPI #1: Model B | Over-clocked | XBMC | RPI #2: Model B+ 512MB | Beautiful metal case from Lukse.LT | RPI #3: PI2 with Camera, 64GB USB Flash and Wi-Fi

yippy

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:26 am

Got my gert board today in the mail now to find some bits to solder to it :)

williamhbell

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:12 am

Hi yippy,

Did you order from Farnell, using the previously quoted reference number? The last time I looked they said they were out of stock. We were then told to wait until further notice by Liz and Gert. Now Tandy seem to be selling them, but they are out of stock too. Seems like one should come back in a month again?

Thanks and best regards,

Will

yippy

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:54 pm

williamhbell wrote:Hi yippy,

Did you order from Farnell, using the previously quoted reference number? The last time I looked they said they were out of stock. We were then told to wait until further notice by Liz and Gert. Now Tandy seem to be selling them, but they are out of stock too. Seems like one should come back in a month again?

Thanks and best regards,

Will
I preordered from element14 when they first listed a few months ago hadn't heard anything till it showed up in my letter box.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:50 am

Well somethings going on as I previously set the option for farnell to automatically email me when they are in stock. I got an email today, but when I click on the link, part 211462 is not found. Also searching for Gertboard find no results !!

What gives?
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

richwillars

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:28 am

I had the same notification email and issue you're experiencing this morning.. I contacted their tech support department and they said it's available on their australian site but not the UK.

Found it at http://au.element14.com/element14/gb110 ... =gertboard - ironically it says shipped from the UK!

I asked him if he had an availability date for the UK and he just said 'towards the end of the year if not before'.

I really appreciate the work that Gert and the Raspberry Pi team have been putting in, I just wish there was a bit more information about this product. I have a project in mid-september which needs IO capability.. because there hasn't been any information on the Gertboard availability I've had to invest in an Android IOIO board and I'm rewriting all the code in Android as a backup incase the Gertboard isn't here in time. If we just had a rough availability date then I'd be able to plan the project out properly!

[email protected]

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 am

dan_in_sd wrote:Can the Gertboard's I2C Bus be extended to other I2C slave devices without causing problems to the AD and DA chips that are currently there?
My thought is to add an I2C Bus Extender chip* to drive 10 meters of 2-pair telephone cable to another bus extender chip and ultimately to a slave I2C device. The bus will be running at 50khz max.

* Philips p/n P82B96 or P82B715
The SPI bus is the one that connects the on-board A/D and D/A. It's jumpered from the main GPIO jumpers to the on-board SPI bus, so to connect it to other peripherals you just remove the jumpers and connect up your own wires.

The I2C bus isn't connected to anything on the Gertboard, so you can connect up patch leads to take it anywhere you need.

-Gordon
--

domesday

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:15 am

I don't think people quite understand what the Gertboard is.

Nothing is connected to anything, anything can be connected to anything. Basically the PCB has a series of pin headers next to each IC that you can use a female-female jumper to connect to any other pin on the board. It is a lot like a breadboard where you make your own connections between the components.

[email protected]

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:36 am

Here is a close-up of the jumperblock on the Gertboard:

In-front of the Grey ribbon cable connector (from the Pi) is a single row if pins - these are all the signal pins on the Pi's GPIO.

In-Front of them is shorter row of 7 pins - these connect to on-board peripherals - the 2 of the right in that photo (with jumpers fitted) are the serial Tx and Rx and pins that come from the on-board ATmega. The 5 to the left of that are the 5 signals for the SPI interface (not jumpered in that photo).

The position of these 2 rows makes it very easy to jumper the Pi's serial port to the ATmegas serial port, and to jumper the Pi's SPI bus to the on-board SPI peripherals (The A/D and D/A convertors).

All the others are left for you to connect up as required (using female to female jumper wires) - e.g. to the long row if pins in the foreground (which have 3 red wires and a green wire plugged in at the right hand side) Those are the 12 buffered IO pins that feed through the buffers to the other edge of the board, or the row of 6 to the left - those feed to the ULN2803 output buffers to drive lamps, relays, etc. or the 2-pins in the middle which feed the motor controller.

-Gordon
--

richwillars

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:39 am

Solution!

I've done some digging on this but finally got there and ordered mine.. should be with me by tomorrow!

There's a problem with the pricing file on the website so the product isn't appearing. Instead, order over the phone - quote product ID 2114623. Bear in mind that if you're not a business account there's a £20 minimum order charge.

SquarePeg

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:29 am

yippy wrote:Got my gert board today in the mail now to find some bits to solder to it :)
Hi, Did you get a schematic and/or parts list delivered with the pcb?

pygmy_giant

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:37 am

I typed 'gertboard' into the farnell search and it asked me if I was looking for cardboard - how did you get hold of one?

It looks like a useful add on - what are the physical dimensions?

[email protected]

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:44 am

pygmy_giant wrote:I typed 'gertboard' into the farnell search and it asked me if I was looking for cardboard - how did you get hold of one?

It looks like a useful add on - what are the physical dimensions?
AIUI: Farnell made a bit of a goof with the early inclusion of the Gertboard... It seems they just can't keep a secret!

It's approx. 185x35mm

-Gordon
--

domesday

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:47 am

Think you made a typo there Gordon.

Board is 132 x 84mm

[email protected]

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:53 am

domesday wrote:Think you made a typo there Gordon.

Board is 132 x 84mm
yea, swapped 2 digits. curse my dyslexia.

-Gordon
--

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:09 am

richwillars wrote:Solution!

I've done some digging on this but finally got there and ordered mine.. should be with me by tomorrow!

There's a problem with the pricing file on the website so the product isn't appearing. Instead, order over the phone - quote product ID 2114623. Bear in mind that if you're not a business account there's a £20 minimum order charge.
Ok, but how much actually is it ?

T.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

richwillars

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:22 am

texy wrote:

T.
£5 :)

[email protected]

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:42 am

Is it a board or a kit you've ordered?

If it's just a board, I'd suggest querying as I understand they're selling it as a kit...

-Gordon
--

[email protected]

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:06 pm

richwillars wrote:
texy wrote:

T.
£5 :)
Sounds like you've been sold a board only...

Really, rather than try to pre-empt the system, I'd wait until there is an official anouncement as I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be sold as a kit of parts, board, bits, etc.

I know you're all chomping at the bit, but it shouln't be long now - hang in there!

-Gordon
--

pygmy_giant

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:53 pm

under the photo it (now?) reads "Image is for illustrative purposes only.
Please refer to product description "

I will wait until the kit is available and I will buy 1 kit and an additional board so that I can afford to cock up the soldering.
Last edited by pygmy_giant on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”