Can

CPU Overclock

Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:50 pm

Hello ! I'am new and young boy.I have a question.I want overclock raspi2 ( 900 mhz to 1.1 Ghz ) This sinks can recieve heat ?

Note => I build raspi2 in large case.

Greetings :D

gkreidl

Re: CPU Overclock

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Don't do it. Even the suggested overclocking to 1 GHz didn't work on any of my RPi2s reliably. Heat wasn't the problem (CPU temperature never went beyond 50 deg). My older Pis (B, B+) could all be overclocked to at least 1 GHz and 500 MHz for the GPU.
It seemed to work, but when the CPU was really stressed I got kernel panic or crashes.

Using better software will give you much more performance gain.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:49 pm

The RPi does not additional cooling aids, unless you are in the middle of the Sahara Desert at Noon :shock:

The RPi2 B is Quad Core so as above stated better software ;)

This overclock and supercooling is someone coming from the x86 / Windows world :D
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

Can

Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:43 pm

gkreidl wrote:Don't do it. Even the suggested overclocking to 1 GHz didn't work on any of my RPi2s reliably. Heat wasn't the problem (CPU temperature never went beyond 50 deg). My older Pis (B, B+) could all be overclocked to at least 1 GHz and 500 MHz for the GPU.
It seemed to work, but when the CPU was really stressed I got kernel panic or crashes.

Using better software will give you much more performance gain.
I still not buy RPi2 . I will buy it..My goal ; creating a speedy device and use it.İ have amateur C++ ( i still continue study ) , it can be solve this problem ?
fruitoftheloom wrote:The RPi does not additional cooling aids, unless you are in the middle of the Sahara Desert at Noon :shock:

The RPi2 B is Quad Core so as above stated better software ;)

This overclock and supercooling is someone coming from the x86 / Windows world :D
Wrong :) Once i use Ubuntu and Pardus with Windows XP.I dont love Pardus.And I mutilate Ubuntu.When When windows is crashed , i formatted it.

And , i live in Turkey , it costs 130 TRY.So expensive.And i must take step it.Anyway , its cheap ( 3 TRY ).

--------------------------------

Another one : İf i install windows , it will be requires cooling ?

rpdom

Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:53 pm

Can wrote:Another one : İf i install windows , it will be requires cooling ?
The only Windows for the Pi is a special IOT version which is not the Windows that most people know. You will need a full PC running Windows 10 (or Windows 7 and a few tricks) to build the software and connect to it. There is no desktop. It will not run the usual Windows apps.

It still won't need cooling unless you are running it in an environment where the air temperature is around 50°C and there is little air flow. Otherwise it will be fine with no additional cooling other than normal airflow.

DaveDriesen

Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:27 pm

wrt cooling.. There should not be any need..Now that pi is quadcore, everything is slacktastic.

If you want do dig into C++ then by all means yes get a pi and hack away!

If you're worried about heat and/or stressing cores then look into threading whatever you're doing or moving to event based programming. Both can help out greatly there.

Not sure where the windows convo came from but doesn't seem pertinent here so disregarded.

Can

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:23 pm

Thanks for posts :)

İ dont worry , i realy poke it :D I overclock it , because my goal is use this device with last limit.I always want write a emulator system , but i know , it passes me :roll: I continue learn C++ with last limit.After i start Pyhton and Assembly :cry: .

İ say , i must take step.İts not expensive , only 3 TRY ( İts cost 0.71 sterlin ,or 1.12 dollars )

I always open the advice :) Please , teach me it :lol:

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”