Printe

Connecting a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro to a Raspi by soldering

Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:29 pm

Hello folks!

I got a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB RAM and a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro. Actually I cannot attatch it directly to the Raspi because of the heat sink. So I got a ribbon cable that covers all the 40 pins. It's not the most flexible thing since the layout of my housing means that I would need to twist the cable like crazy.

I'm thinking about just soldering the needed pins to single cables to have a clean thing. But I can't find any information about which ones are used. Can anybody tell me which they are? Is there a connection scheme somewhere in the net? Can't find one...

Thank you in advance!
Marcus

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Connecting a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro to a Raspi by soldering

Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:56 pm

Take off the heatsink would be the obvious suggestion.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:00 pm

Printe wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:29 pm
Hello folks!

I got a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB RAM and a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro. Actually I cannot attatch it directly to the Raspi because of the heat sink. So I got a ribbon cable that covers all the 40 pins. It's not the most flexible thing since the layout of my housing means that I would need to twist the cable like crazy.

I'm thinking about just soldering the needed pins to single cables to have a clean thing. But I can't find any information about which ones are used. Can anybody tell me which they are? Is there a connection scheme somewhere in the net? Can't find one...

Thank you in advance!
Marcus

Why the Heatsink ?? it is not feasible to overheat a Raspberry Pi SBC:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... agement.md
I am a volunteer, take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail.

Printe

Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:42 pm

Thank you @gordon77 this helps! :-)

Imperf3kt

Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:52 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:00 pm
Why the Heatsink ?? it is not feasible to overheat a Raspberry Pi SBC:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... agement.md
But it is possible for the Pi to throttle, limiting performance to a level potentially inadequate for the OPs use.

... That said, they mentioned the Pi was inside a case. Without a fan and vents, that Heatsink is next to useless.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

Printe

Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:43 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
But it is possible for the Pi to throttle, limiting performance to a level potentially inadequate for the OPs use.
Thank you, that's actually the point. I'm not overclocking. It's simply that it gets to hot white using YouTube for instance.

The case is quite airy. It's more like a frame than a case. The heatsink is huge and potentially made to carry a fan. But I'll try it without first.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:05 am

Printe wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:43 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
Thank you, that's actually the point. I'm not overclocking. It's simply that it gets to hot white using YouTube for instance.

The case is quite airy. It's more like a frame than a case. The heatsink is huge and potentially made to carry a fan. But I'll try it without first.

...but *to hot* is not a measurement but a feeling, you need to provide evidence it is throttling and therefore need this *cooling*
I am a volunteer, take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail.

Printe

Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:46 am

Well, you're right. It's throttling. I tracked the temperature and came to the conclusion that it needs cooling to avoid throttling.

6by9

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:05 am

Use a tall header (eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170578495165) and some standoffs to raise the DAC board above the Pi and heatsink.
I'm using those all the time now to attach devices in a manner that can be easily swapped between without disturbing the wiring.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:25 am

6by9 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:05 am
Use a tall header (eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170578495165) and some standoffs to raise the DAC board above the Pi and heatsink.
I'm using those all the time now to attach devices in a manner that can be easily swapped between without disturbing the wiring.
+1
I.e. https://www.berrybase.de/raspberry-pi/r ... PI-CGST-62
They are working fine with the armour cases. Pictured is a Pi4 with armor case and a custom HAT(grey connector on Bottom side). For this setup the distance between the PCB and the heatsink is around 7mm (= max component height). There is no component on the Top side of this HAT.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”