martinrowan wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:07 pm
In my testing, an idle Pi 4 with the original PoE HAT used 3.2W the new PoE+ HAT in the same configuration used 5.2W. These were measurements reported by my UniFi PoE Switch.
You might be interested in my blog post: Raspberry Pi PoE+ HAT Review – Part 2: Problems
with this extra power consumption also increases the heat. Depending on the configuration of your case for your 8 Pi's this may or may not be an issue.
Thanks for the reply and link...you put a lot of work into your reviews and I know I am not alone in saying a big thank you for that!
It would seem your findings are similar to mine.
My DrayTek switches report;
Pi1: PoE v2 running Pi-hole - 4w/75mA
Pi2: PoE v2 running Virtual Radar Feeder with USB Dongle - 7.6w/143mA
Pi3: PoE v2 running Home Assistant - 4.1w/78mA
Pi4: PoE+ running nothing but a virgin Buster OS at the moment - 6.2w/117mA
Pi5: Still in the box! As are the other four PoE+ HATS while I wonder whether to keep them or not!
Seems like I might have to as the v2 seem to be out of stock everywhere which seems to pour water on one of the Pi Foundations answers to Jeff Geerling where they casually flip him off with the comment; "If lower power consumption at idle is important, you should stick with the original PoE HAT."
Easier said than done if they have been discontinued and can't be obtained from anywhere!
A little over a week ago I posted on the Pi Foundation website Announcing the RPi PoE+ HAT page https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/announ ... i-poe-hat/
my own thoughts & findings https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/announ ... nt-1558002
Hi there RPi Foundation,
Great news on the uprated PoE+ HAT…thank you very much.
I’ve just bought 5 of them to replace the older v2 where the fans are noisy and for the extra power.
I have some issues that I would like to share with you if I may. There could be some user error here but hopefully if there is you can point that out!
1. The fan position on the new PoE+ HAT has changed so now the ventilation slots in the new Uputronics GPS HAT for example obscure the fan. May be an issue with other HATS?
2. The extended tall 4-pin header now cannot be used to connect/stack as the 4-pin header on the PoE+ HAT has no pass-through unlike the older v2 HAT and when using the extended/tall 40-pin header it lifts the PoE+ HAT above the 4-pin header on the Pi? I suppose another 4-pin header of the right size might resolve that but it is annoying.
3. There is no camera ribbon cable pass-thru’ slot on the PoE+ HAT unlike the earlier version?
4. When you fit the supplied screws for the spacers the Pi4 no longer fits into the official RPi case as they impact the locating posts! Possibly the same on other cases?
5. Also with the official RPi case you can no longer clip the top lid on as there is now no gap at the back of the PoE+ HAT for the plastic lugs to locate unlike the notch on the earlier boards!
Apart from that all good!
Thanks for listening!