Graspberry

sh: can't access tty; job control turned off [solved]

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Pi quits start with above message when GertDuino attached. Have tried with & without 328 jumpers selected.

Moderator update: See "raspberry pi doesn't boot [solved]" for details.

g7ruh

Re: sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:46 am

Graspberry wrote:Pi quits
Graspberry
have you added a line to /boot/config.txt. On mine, it boots into safe mode without this line though. Just an idea.

Code: Select all

# for gerduino boot issue
#
avoid_safe_mode=1
and also see here as there seem to be some boards with other (maybe related issues) http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 96&t=61801 Mine was ok in this respect and "just worked" when I added jumpers and loaded 'blink'

Roger

Gert van Loo

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Try placing the Re jumper on the 48 side.
That keeps the 48 controller in reset and thusfar has solved all boot problems.
The suspicion is that a number of boards have left the factory without having the
test program erased from the Atmega48.

Graspberry

Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:03 pm

Atmage48 Re(set) jumper allows Pi boot - great. Thanks everyone.

pulmonarypig

Re: sh: can't access tty; job control turned off [solved]

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:09 am

I am having the same issue. I don't know what Re(set) jumper is. I don't even know what a jumper is. Please help me boot my Pi.. :cry:

Gert van Loo

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:40 am

pulmonarypig wrote:I am having the same issue. I don't know what Re(set) jumper is. I don't even know what a jumper is. Please help me boot my Pi.. :cry:
The jumpers are the little black things which come in a separate bag with the gertduino.
They have holes on one side and inside is a piece of copper.
If you stick a jumper over two pins you make a connection between the pins.
Make sure you only use jumpers where they are useful. Sticking jumpers over arbitrary pins can damage your electronics.

If you download he manual you find pictures of the red jumpers in place in the board.
(I used red jumpers as you can see them more clearly on the picture)
There is only one place on the Gertduino where you find three rows of pins adjacent.
That is where you have to place the jumper.
To reset the Atmega48 you must place a jumper in the position indicated with yellow in the picture below.
You can place the other jumpers as well but they don't help.
Attachments
48_reset2.png
48_reset2.png (68.6 KiB) Viewed 38006 times

pulmonarypig

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:18 pm

Thank you. I don't have jumpers. My rasberry pi turns on and "sh: can't access tty; job control turned off" is displayed. I have formatted 2 SD cards and neither of them work. I put noobs on each of them. Help?

AndyD

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:06 pm

pulmonarypig wrote:Thank you. I don't have jumpers. My rasberry pi turns on and "sh: can't access tty; job control turned off" is displayed. I have formatted 2 SD cards and neither of them work. I put noobs on each of them. Help?
Does the Raspberry Pi boot OK when the Gertduino is not attached?

pulmonarypig

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:31 pm

I don't have a gertduino..

AndyD

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:59 am

pulmonarypig wrote:I don't have a gertduino..
Can I suggest you create a new post in another section of the forum. This section of the forum is specific to the GertDuino. This thread relates to a problem booting the Raspberry Pi with a GertDuino attached. Hence the discussion about jumpers. The GertDuino comes with jumpers.

Create a new post in the Troubleshooting sub-forum. Try to explain what you have tried so far and the specific symptoms you are seeing.

jadonovan3000

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:36 am

I had the same 'sh: can't access tty;....' issue and initially didn't understand Gert's recommendation to 'place the jumper on the 48 side' of the Re pin. I followed the User manual's instructions to place the four jumpers on the 4 lower pairs of header pins on J17 but that's what caused the 'sh: can't access tty:....' issue in the first place.

I’ve worked out my problem by moving the header J17 jumper on pins 7 and 8 to bridge pin 8 on header J8 *and* pin 8 on J17. This is likely what is meant about moving the Re jumper. The pi will then boot but to follow the startup tutorial it was necessary to restore the jumper to short pins 7 and 8 on J17 *without* powering down. Fingernails are key here as metal tweezers might short something unless surgery is your day job. Once I got through pushing the blink program into the arduino, which presumably overwrote the manufacturing test that is the root cause, I could remove power, restore the jumper across J17's pin 7 and 8 and reboot successfully.

stang

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Sorry bit lost what is pin 48 pin 328 etc.,

AndyD

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:41 pm

stang wrote:Sorry bit lost what is pin 48 pin 328 etc.,
Hi stang, 48 and 328 refer to the AtMega 48pa and AtMega 328 chips. The AtMega 328 is the large chip (in a socket), the AtMega 48pa is a much smaller surface mounted chip. The GertDuino user manual describes the layout of the chip and pins on the GertDuino.

Bioguy

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi everyone - having the same issue here. I'm glad I found this thread, as it will probably help out with the same issues I am having.

For the record, my Gertduino board is listed as being Rev 5, 19 July 2013. I don't have any timestamping / serial number on the board itself beyond this, so I hope that this info is useful in tracking the factory error.

Gert van Loo

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:02 pm

For the record, my Gertduino board is listed as being Rev 5, 19 July 2013. I don't have any timestamping / serial number on the board itself beyond this, so I hope that this info is useful in tracking the factory error.
There exists only one version out in the wild.
The others are prototypes on my work desk.

dogsop

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:07 pm

I received my board yesterday and it has the same problem. Grounding the reset pin on the 48 allows the Raspberry Pi to boot but how do I fix the problem permanently? I'd like to be able to move the jumper over to the 328 side so that I can program it as an Arduino.

Thanks

Jednorozec

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:56 pm

dogsop wrote:I received my board yesterday and it has the same problem. Grounding the reset pin on the 48 allows the Raspberry Pi to boot but how do I fix the problem permanently? I'd like to be able to move the jumper over to the 328 side so that I can program it as an Arduino.
You have to program the 48. Take a look at http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 1&start=25
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

builttwospill

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Gert van Loo wrote:Try placing the Re jumper on the 48 side.
That keeps the 48 controller in reset and thusfar has solved all boot problems.
The suspicion is that a number of boards have left the factory without having the
test program erased from the Atmega48.
That solution does allow the Pi the boot... but if I'm not mistaken it makes it impossible to program the Atmega-328 from the Pi. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but from the manual (v1.4, page 6):
3.2 Program the Atmega-328
To program this device from the Raspberry-Pi you have to place the following 4 jumpers:

Is there, perhaps, another solution? One that will allow both the Pi to boot, and the Gertduino to be programmed?

hammishbbi

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:40 am

I know this is an old topic, i apologize if this post breaks rules for stale threads. But the issue hit me today, and it took me a frustratingly-long time to figure out a solution. I have found a lot of help from the boards, and I actually registered to post this reply-- I feel like it's only fair for me to give back a little bit. I'm hopeful that it's helpful to someone else.

I fixed this problem by taking the sd card out and manually editing the files from another computer.

The thing that ultimately did it for me was changing /boot/cmdline.txt from tty1 to tty2
(what do I care which terminal instance it is?)

so it looked like this initially:
wc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=27928b77-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait

and i changed it to this:
wc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty2 root=PARTUUID=27928b77-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait

also fstab was whiny. I'd recently added a usb hdd, it seemed to freak out if it remained attached (and uncommented/expected in /etc/fstab)

So i commented out the new hdd and now it boots.

lashturner

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:20 pm

I already fixed error and posted it on youtube under lashturer.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”