markUK

Ultimate GPS breakout or USB GPS dongle ?

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:55 am

I'm making my PI portable for outdoors and I intend to hook it up on GPS. I found two ways to go about it. Buy Ultimate GPS breakout from Adafruit or buy a generic USB GPS dongle. The price of those two are very different and would like to ask you what are advantages of GPS breakout over standard GPS dongle ?

Any significant differences in range ?

topguy

Re: Ultimate GPS breakout or USB GPS dongle ?

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:56 am

What do you mean by "range" ? Range to what ?

If the price difference that huge ? USB unit come in a wide price-range.

A breakout means you have to do the wiring and weather-proofing yourself. But the powerconsumption probably cant be beaten by a USB device.

B.Goode

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 pm

The range of a GPS receiver has to be about 12,550 miles, because that is the height above the earth at which the constellation of GPS satellites orbits.

The accuracy/sensitivity/reliability of a GPS receiver depends very much on the design of the chipset it is based on, and the care with which the associated electronics are implemented. It is not directly related to the type of physical connection used.

Otherwise, 'horses for courses'.

A usb device is more easily portable between different host systems, and leaves the 40-way header on the RPi free for other add-on boards if needed. Power will probably come via the usb connector and thus will have to be supplied by the RPi.

A gpio device will leave all your usb connections free for other use, and will probably require an external power source thus not placing extra demand on your RPi and its PSU.

markUK

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Thank you both for your thoughts. I've been thinking. Since you can get GPS breakout from Adafruit for £40 or you can buy GPS dongle for > £12 but honestly, I don't think I should trust GPS dongle with a £12 pricetag on it. In terms of how the module is connected to PI I don't have a dilemma. USB dongle would occupy 1 of 4 USB ports my PI is equipped with and will be likely using bluetooth pocket keyboard so that saves a USB port. I was seriously considering the GPS breakout as I don't mind having to configure it and wire it myself but find unnecessary to buy it if GPS dongle will do the same job for half price.

Power consumption doesn't worry me much as I'll be using powerful power bank that is designed to work with PI.

I guess I'm just trying to find a good argument for buying the GPS breakout.

Return to “Add-ons”