notholmen

~ $ gpio reset - Raspberry won't boot

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:43 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm aware that this topic might be on the verge of being "it won't boot what's wrong" topic.
I'll do my best to steer away from it.

I have had some issues earlier with interfacing through an 1-wire board It never worked after an upgrade from a Rpi B v.1 to a Rpi B+. In order for it to work I tested a few different things one of them was to work with the "gpio" command and "fix" the issue.
To the story belongs that the raspberry in question is located about 1800km away so reinstalling/hardware interactions is not really possible or very hard (non tech people on site so minor interactions may be doable).

Now though the issue I executed the command "gpio reset" command and i lost the connection to the little Pi.
unplugging and re-plugging current to the pi won't work. I can't even see the LAN being active towards the router so I assume that it won't even bring up the Ethernet (does not respond to ping).
I'm turning to you for suggestions on what hypothetically could have happened to the little Pi and why it won't start.
At the moment I'm quite clueless here. :(

Please let me know your thoughts on it.
Thanks!
/Robert

DougieLawson

Re: ~ $ gpio reset - Raspberry won't boot

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Are your remote users capable of pulling the SDCard out and inserting a new one? I'd assume they are since that's nothing more that what they'd do with a cell phone, tablet or camera.

So create a new SDCard on a local Raspberry Pi B+, get it running, get it configured ready to go. Take a copy using a well tested cloning tool. Mail one SDCard to your remote site, have them mail the broken card back to you (for post mortem analysis and proof that it's been switched). You can always use a sharpie pen, a dab of nail varnish or paint so that you'd know if the wrong SDCard gets returned.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

notholmen

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:19 pm

Thank you DougieLawson, that is a great solution to the problem.
I'm just curious to hear if there is or someone know of a reason why exactly this command make the little PI not booting properly.

DougieLawson

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:33 pm

notholmen wrote:Thank you DougieLawson, that is a great solution to the problem.
I'm just curious to hear if there is or someone know of a reason why exactly this command make the little PI not booting properly.
I'm fairly sure you'll find that one or more of the partitions has the dirty bit set on the filesystem and the system drops into single user mode when you try to boot it.

When you build the new card build it with the 2015-02-02 Raspbian, don't use NOOBS.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

notholmen

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:40 am

Thank you!
I'll definitively get this going then... Might even try to get access to the memory card remotely as it contains some critical information (weather data for two years back).

Any where I can get information about the "dirty bit" and how to mend it?

DougieLawson

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:06 am

The /boot partition can be fixed by Windows. Stick it in your laptop and use the properties --> tools page to run Windows chkdsk (or open a command Window and run chkdsk from a command line). On my Win81 machine a dirty card pops up a "Would you like to fix this" window when I insert it in the card slot.

The ext4 dirty bit needs a running Linux system, same thing, stick the card in a reader, sudo e2fsck -f /dev/sda2 (or if NOOBS sudo e2fsck -f /dev/sda6). I use one of my Raspberry Pis or my Ubuntu server to do that to the cards from the other three RPis.

From 1st March I won't have that Ubuntu server, it's being retired and replaced with a RPi2.

You can fix FAT systems on a Raspberry, but you need to be right up to date with the dosfstools package (because the old version simply didn't work).

notholmen

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:46 pm

Thank you!
I'll look into this as soon as I get hold or access to the memmory card!
If fixing it on site it will be an OS X system, But I'll use search engines to find out how.
Thanks again!

OT:
I' have actually already for several reasons replaced my big ESXi (Xeon Quad, 24GB, 8hdd RAID) server with a small RPi B+.
Ordered a Pi2 to have some of the power back again though.

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”