CthulhusCall

Options for switching between multiple CSI-2 (MIPI) interfcs

Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:57 pm

I have an A+ and I am hoping it can be configured to control multiple cameras. This would require a simple switch between input MIPI interfaces but it doesn't look like there are many other options. I could use an array of transistors if all the traces on the ribbon cable connected to a breadboard, but there doesn't seem to be a simple MIPI to breadboard (or just wire) socket! So I am left with trying to solder each trace to a wire for each cable of each camera or using multiple pi's. Is there any interface, or a better solution?

I do hope I am ignorant of a solution.

Fat D

Re: Options for switching between multiple CSI-2 (MIPI) inte

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:22 am

You are talking about a signal in the GHz frequency range. Adding a switch to it without proper RF design will degrade the signal significantly; you can be lucky if the circuit you are designing even works a little. Using two cameras at once is impractical without a compute module and a suitable IO board, and those are expensive.

CthulhusCall

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:10 pm

Fat D wrote:You are talking about a signal in the GHz frequency range. Adding a switch to it without proper RF design will degrade the signal significantly; you can be lucky if the circuit you are designing even works a little. Using two cameras at once is impractical without a compute module and a suitable IO board, and those are expensive.
Thanks for the insight. I will definitely not attempt that then.

CthulhusCall

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:11 pm

That is totally it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

However for that price I could by four more A+'s, so I am going to go that venue

shapeshifter

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:32 am

Hi,
I am working on a similar project. I saw the other board too but it is to expensive to make it worthwhile. My board will have 6 outputs and use the same form factor as the HAT spec. I am also going to use a voltage regulator to power the pi through the GPIO headder.
This will be the first circuit board that i have designed but it cant be too hard can it . I am probably destined to failure as FAT D says but i am going to give it a go.
I am happy to share the design files if anyone would like to colaborate.....

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”