superk

Dual Screen

Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:08 am

Ok so here is the deal, I am trying to make a multi-purpose pi device. I havent settled on hardware yet, so im asking before I buy and get stuck with useless devices.

The device im trying to make is to be integrated into the dash console of my motor home. I would like to have a small 'control console' in the dash on a smaller 2-7 inch touchscreen, and linked by hdmi to a larger 28 inch screen for the living room to watch tv etc.

I dont need to integrate any gps or reverse camera into this unit, as I already have these devices installed seperately.

After googling, and reading this forum, it seems to me that you cannot yet accomplish this goal on this unit? Is this accurate?

bbeemer

Re: Dual Screen

Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:54 pm

I am no expert but I have the post here http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 23#p657523 where I have been told that you can not have both tft AND HDMI however we are working on switching screens based on whether or not the HDMI is connected or not at boot time. This could be modified to use a script to switch at will from the desktop or terminal. The guy who is helping me has it working on his machine but we are trying to figure out why it wont work on mine.
Hope this helps, feel free to contact me if you need anything else (remember I am not an expert though, but will help if I can).

rpdom

Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:11 pm

For two screens, use two Pi's :-)

Or wait or the official Raspi DSI Screen which will have touch capabilities and be able to be used at the same time as the HDMI screen.

ragnarjensen

Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Should be doable. I've run two and three screens with the Pi's HDMI and USB DisplayLink adapters as described in this thread: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=12761
Two screens, one extended desktop.

Three screens, one extended desktop.

Two screens, two separate desktops.

I have another Pi with a 3.3" touchscreen as primary monitor and a 24" monitor connected to the HDMI port as secondary, set up along the same principles.
--
Ragnar

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”