remcclurg

Using Pi to passthrough USB

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:55 pm

I want to remotely connect to my camera via it's USB port. The camera has remote software that runs on a PC or Mac, but not Linux. What I want to do is connect the camera to the PI via USB, then connect my Mac to the PI via WiFi using VM. The idea is to have the Pi passthrough the USB connection as if the camera was connected directly to the Mac via USB. The Pi with WiFi would look like a long USB cable to the Mac. Is this possible?

AndyD

Re: Using Pi to passthrough USB

Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:07 pm

I am guessing you would need to use something like this. Not something I have tried, I just asked google.

remcclurg

Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:42 pm

Andy, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately the code is still in alpha, and has not been worked on in a couple years. Running on OSX was a goal, but never even started as far as I can see. Sure wish I could get a newer version of this code or something similar. That being said, I think I'll try to compile it into a PI, and if successful, I'll try to build the client for Windows XP.

Thanks for the link. I searched for a couple hours, and never hit that site.

AndyD

Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:28 am

I just searched for USB over ethernet. I am surprised that there isn't something like this already. There are a number of routers available that let you plug your USB printer in and share the printer on your network. Hmm... although they probably show up as network printers rather than USB devices.

remcclurg

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:22 pm

I found those sites, but as you say, they are not for connecting generic devices like a camera. Some hardware exists to do what I want, but paying $800 and more to remote my camera is not an option.

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”