khurramnaseem

Use GPIO for Water tank level

Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:31 am

Hi,

I'm novice to electronic, want to build water tank level automation, I'm wondering if by any mean following idea is possible ?

I will use CAT 5 cable and put one end (two wires out of eight) in water tank and attach other end of the two wires on some GPIO pins to check if other end (wires in water) are connected as once they dip in water they are connected as water is a conductor or if water level is low they wires are not connected. Can we do it in a simple way without attaching any breadboard ?

Any guide will be super helpful.

Thank you

pcmanbob

Re: Use GPIO for Water tank level

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:33 am

Hi.

You may find it works but it might be a bit hit and miss depending on the water quality and as long as the tank is non conductive ( ie plastic )

A better option would be a float switch or one of these sensors , using just the digital output.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soil-Hygrome ... 1040cdfded

but that would only give you a single level indication.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

rpiMike

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:29 pm

I use a waterproof ultrasonic sensor to measure the distance to the water surface.

khurramnaseem

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:25 pm

rpiMike wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:29 pm
I use a waterproof ultrasonic sensor to measure the distance to the water surface.
Thank you for your reply. let me look check this out.

JohnsUPS

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:40 am

Another way to do this if you don't need much accuracy is to take a string of reed relays and mount them into a watertight tube. One end of each relay would be connected together and connected to ground. Each of the other relays would be connected to an individual GPIO pin. A floating circular magnet that rides up and down the watertight tube on the outside would trigger the nearby reed relay inside of the tube and pull the corresponding GPIO pin to ground.
Of course the relays could be wired to pull up instead of down, and if the spacing of the relays were too far apart (or a weak magnet) there may be dead spots, but there are software ways of overcoming that (storing/latching the last position for example).

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”