Dutch_Master

Getting audio from a Pi Zero

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:53 pm

Quick question if I may: is it possible, using additional electronics, to get an audio signal from an RPi Zero (based on the 3+ model). If so, which pins do I need, is the output an analog audio signal (that just needs amplification) or PWM. There's only 1 speaker available, so a mono output suffices.

Reason for asking: I'm working on a project and the Zero would be ideal space-wise although the original design did call for a RPi 3B+ model to be used. Besides, the Zero is cheaper, which helps the cost/benefit analysis ;)

TIA!

DougieLawson

Re: Getting audio from a Pi Zero

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:01 pm

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Dutch_Master

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:23 pm

Thx! That was quick! :shock:

Having done a quick analysis of the additional work, I may just settle for the 3B+ model as originally specified for the project. Part of the brief of the project is that (relatively) untrained persons can participate in creating a product, but adding the required parts for audio on the Zero would prove too difficult for them as it requires additional soldering of (delicate) small parts. So far it would only require them to solder wires to a header and/or audio plug, much less risk of getting it wrong.

Thx again for the quick response!

DougieLawson

Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:05 pm

How about the 3A+? It's cheaper than the 3B+, has the same processor as the 3B+ (so can run 64-bit), has on-board WiFi and has the audio stuff on the TRRS socket unlike the ZeroW. It only has 512MB of RAM, same as the Zero.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

fanoush

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:29 am

you can also add i2s audio, see e.g http://www.lucadentella.it/en/2017/04/2 ... t-via-i2s/
there are small cheap i2s boards with headphone sockets on ebay that may work out of box

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”