beech

Interface Headers, flex circuits

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:21 pm

I have noticed that the Raspberry Pi board has two flex-circuit connectors labeled S2 and S5 in silkscreen. Does anyone have any information on these two ports?

jfornango

Re: Interface Headers, flex circuits

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:51 pm

The one by the ethernet port is the Camera CSI header.
The one by the power is the Display DSI header.
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.

ghans

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:13 pm

The camera module will be relaeased in Spring 2013 , and the display module
will come later. Note that this takes time , because the foundation members are
volunteers and have day jobs.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

beech

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. Now that I know what they're called, I see that there is a lot of discussion of them - looks like they're not useful at this time.

beech

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:21 pm

ghans - thanks for the update on camera module release.

jfornango

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:20 pm

I wouldn't say the headers are "not useful." we just don't have a prepackaged module yet.

My hat's off to the fine volunteers who have brought us this amazing device and are working on the peripherals. You guys are doing great work.

Parallel to that, to everyone else, I offer this thought:
The RPi is a true developer platform. While it will be fun once the prebuilds are available, we need to work together as a community to *develop* those modules. Just because there isn't a prebuilt out yet, don't feel limited.

One of the things I am looking forward to, is seeing other peoples' takes on how the preipherals should work and act.

I'd love to have a choice of three of four CSI modules (heck, I might develop one of my own). The RPi is at the beginning of a potentially amazing lifespan. It's up to us to nurture it along.
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.

beech

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:03 pm

I did qualify that comment with "...at this time." From what I've read elsewhere, the information required to use these headers/ports (that connect to the GPU) is considered confidential by Broadcom so we need to wait for Raspberry Pi to provide a standard interface in firmware(?). Perhaps I misunderstood.

I agree, amazing bit of development hardware - which is why I just picked one up, for tinkering.

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”