fullmetl
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Trying to connect a LCD display to a raspberry pi 3 B+

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:02 pm

Hi,
I just got my LCD display and have no idea how to connect it to a raspberry pi 3 B+. Here are two pictures of the back of the display. I also have provided the url for the LCD data sheet. I don't think I need any drivers but I can't be sure.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/909/ ... 385056.pdf
Attachments
image2 (1).JPG
image2 (1).JPG (188.22 KiB) Viewed 713 times
image1 (1).JPG
image1 (1).JPG (219.26 KiB) Viewed 713 times

Doub
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: Trying to connect a LCD display to a raspberry pi 3 B+

Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:05 am

Did you just buy a random LCD panel and assume you could connect it to a Pi? Or did you pick it from a list of compatible ones?

fullmetl
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Trying to connect a LCD display to a raspberry pi 3 B+

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:14 pm

Doub wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:05 am
Did you just buy a random LCD panel and assume you could connect it to a Pi? Or did you pick it from a list of compatible ones?

I called the manufacturer and they told that it could connect to it but they didn't give me any specifics.

User avatar
saper_2
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:08 am
Location: PL

Re: Trying to connect a LCD display to a raspberry pi 3 B+

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:02 pm

Hi,

Quick look at datasheet that I found on google, this lcd have a parallel RGB i/f , so it might work , but it's need a lot of work...
First you have to build adapter board that you can connect to GPIO - the adapter board have to provide the display with right power supply too.
Next is setting up tinydrm (Am I right?) correctly with GPIO pin mapping to display signals, timings and data format according to datasheet for this lcd and doing a testing. if not working then you start redoing configuration till it work or you give up :)

I'm skipping what you have to know from: electronic, electronic circuit designing, tindrm kernel module configuration.

Andyroo

Re: Trying to connect a LCD display to a raspberry pi 3 B+

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:13 pm

fullmetl wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:14 pm
...
I called the manufacturer and they told that it could connect to it but they didn't give me any specifics.
Call them back and ask how...
They may be able to sell you a HDMI interface board or tell you how to return it.

fullmetl
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Trying to connect a LCD display to a raspberry pi 3 B+

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:56 pm

saper_2 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:02 pm
Hi,

Quick look at datasheet that I found on google, this lcd have a parallel RGB i/f , so it might work , but it's need a lot of work...
First you have to build adapter board that you can connect to GPIO - the adapter board have to provide the display with right power supply too.
Next is setting up tinydrm (Am I right?) correctly with GPIO pin mapping to display signals, timings and data format according to datasheet for this lcd and doing a testing. if not working then you start redoing configuration till it work or you give up :)

I'm skipping what you have to know from: electronic, electronic circuit designing, tindrm kernel module configuration.
Thank you so much, I will try this. I have a question about the backlight though, I'm trying to figure out a way to connect it to a power supply but I'm having all lot of trouble. At this point, I feel like just cutting off the solderless connector and attaching the wires to a dc male/female power adapter. Is this the correct way to go?

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 1508
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: Trying to connect a LCD display to a raspberry pi 3 B+

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:00 am

fullmetl wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:56 pm
saper_2 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:02 pm
Hi,

Quick look at datasheet that I found on google, this lcd have a parallel RGB i/f , so it might work , but it's need a lot of work...
First you have to build adapter board that you can connect to GPIO - the adapter board have to provide the display with right power supply too.
Next is setting up tinydrm (Am I right?) correctly with GPIO pin mapping to display signals, timings and data format according to datasheet for this lcd and doing a testing. if not working then you start redoing configuration till it work or you give up :)

I'm skipping what you have to know from: electronic, electronic circuit designing, tindrm kernel module configuration.
Thank you so much, I will try this. I have a question about the backlight though, I'm trying to figure out a way to connect it to a power supply but I'm having all lot of trouble. At this point, I feel like just cutting off the solderless connector and attaching the wires to a dc male/female power adapter. Is this the correct way to go?
the interface connector on the display has 0.3mm pitch ... You will have to find a suitable FFC first and develop an adapter PCB which goes on the Pi GPIO.

Can be done but look at your recent question let me assume your new to this (to electronics development). So might be a big challange for you to get it running,

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”