sacredzero

Receiving VGA signal on IO pins

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi,

I am fairly new to working with the Raspberry Pi so I am hoping someone can help me out before I waste too much time! I was wondering if it is possible to read data from a VGA cable on the IO pins, where the opposite side of the cable is plugged in to a source. Just to be clear, I am not looking to output from the Raspberry Pi to this VGA cable, I am wanting to read the signals from the source (another PC for instance) with the potential long term goal of decoding and displaying these signals in a graphical window on the Raspberry Pi itself.

Any advice as to whether this is feasible/there is a project where it has already been done would be appreciated as I was unable to find anything similar when I searched for it.

Many thanks.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Receiving VGA signal on IO pins

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:34 pm

That is NOT possible, VGA signals are high speed analog signals, you cannot decode them to digital signals (for the GPIO's) without special high speed A/D converters, and such a mass of digital data cannot simply be captured.
What you are looking for is a video capture device that can capture VGA signals, I don't know of any that are suitable for a raspberry PI.

sacredzero

Re: Receiving VGA signal on IO pins

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:56 pm

Many thanks for the quick reply! So glad I didn't just start cutting up a VGA cable to play around with it. I will have a look at convertors and see what is around and may have some follow up questions!

Many thanks.

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”